Trying to improve a Hornby 92

Hi all, Been quiet for a while on the forum and indeed with modelling due to completing my first year of uni. Now i'm home for the summer I've started a project that has been sitting in a box for a few years now. I am trying to modernise and detail my old Hornby 92 so that it looks ok stood next too some of my other models. Have been spending the last few weeks looking through the work of James Makin of Wells Green TMD fame aswell as an excellent article in an old issue of Model Rail.

Thought I would create the topic to share my own thoughts, ideas and progress and see what others think and possibly ask for advice if necesary as this is my first project of this kind.

So the other week I drew together a shopping list and set about buying the basics. I am using a Hornby class 50 motor and mechanism which I picked up off a well known auction site for a bargain to remotor the loco. Etched Windsreen wipers, nameplates aswell as the characteristic "tunnel portals". The loco I am modelling is 92037. First job was to get rid of the moulded handrails with a scalpel.Then I went round fitting new wire hanrails made from 0.4mm silver wire. The picture below shows the first door with new rails test fit. I have since done the whole loco.

ffe42907.jpg

I wanted to hold off the rest of the detailing work untill I had got the hardest part of th project out of the way (for me anyway). So here is where I am up to now;

The class 50 chassis as it came:

DSC_5663.jpg

The first bogie made up with the class 50's mechanism inside the Hornby 92 moulding:

DSC_5666.jpg

It's all going well so far, I hope it stays that way. Any comments or anything please shout!

Danny

• RMweb Premium

Now this might be a daft question, and you've probably thought of it already, but you did check that that 50 chassis will fit under the pantograph well on the 92 roof, didn't you?! It looks pretty tall, judging from the height of the fan and cab bulkheads, it looks like it could be pretty tight.

Hi, The plan is to use the current class 92 chassis with a bit of work and transplant the motor onto that. Did a quick test fit before and it seemed to line up ok so time will tell if what I plan to do will work I guess... Sorry I probably didnt explain myself that well.

On another note, does anyone know something I could use to add extra weight to the loco? I've heard of a product called "Liquid Lead"?

Danny

Hi- The liquid lead shouldnt sag the chassis at all, Lima use quite strong plastic for thier chassis' you could re-inforce the floor using strips of evergreen plastic which is sometimes what ive done with conversions like this. If you do go that route, use all purpose adhesive as PVA will dry up after a while ... if you also remove the PCB and hardwire everything thatll save bit of height as well

NL

I have seen it done before using weight in the middle of the existing 92 chassis, hence why I chose to go down this route myself. After many deffierent cheap/home made attempts of adding weight to the loco I have decided to just bite the bullet and have just ordered some "Liquid Gravity". Should be here in the next couple of days and I can crack on.

Both bogies now done, wired it up temporarily before and just gave it a run on DC to check everything worked.. very jerky but I have put this down to lack of traction due to lack of weight... will do more tests when this problem has been resolved.

Many learning curves for my first project of this sort!

Danny

Guest 40-something

HI Danny

I'll be watching this project. Just a though though, if your using the 50 chassis block you shouldn't need any extra weight as its a fairly hefty weight as it is.

Good luck!

Cheers Joe, I am not using the 50 chassis block, decided to stick with the 92 chassis and bodge, I mean modify that. I have just added the liquid gravity this morning, waiting for the glue to set and then I can finish the motor housing.

DSC_5672.jpg

Danny

After an afternoon's work I am pleased to say the motor is now fully working and the loco is running smoothly at slow speeds thanks to the added weight! Next job is DCC and I need to get my hands on an express models lighting kit!!

DSC_5674.jpg

Danny

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies to anyone who may be following this for my slow progress... As a student, I'm just awaiting enough funds to allow me to get the lighting kit and few remaining detailing parts I want without feeling guilty!

Will hopefully be back in the saddle with this in the next week or so. For now it's back to scratchbuilding a portacabin...

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more progress now I've had some time away from work...

I have fitted DCC to the loco aswell as an express models lighting kit which just needs connecting up to the chip. I have also started a bit of work on the front ends.

DSC_6032.jpg

DSC_6034.jpg

DSC_6035.jpg

More soon hopefully.

Danny

• 4 weeks later...

Archived