C-Rail PFA Wagons+Containers

matt-b

• RMweb Gold

When you say c-rail do you mean the dc-kits model?

I made a rake of them a while back and cut the containers down to turn into low level waste wagons

They were a pain in the bum to build, nothing to them really but you have to fit the wheels as you glue them together, get it wrong, like i did, and the wheels wont turn round, on a couple of them i ended up cutting off the moulded axleboxes and refitting a plasticard piece in its place, slightly wider than the original which seemed to do the job

The other downside is if you run them without containers it says DC KITS in big letters on the Container deck!

Ill post some pics later when i get home

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

The C=Rail ones are a bit fiddly to make but they're not too bad as long as you take your time. There are two main problem to watch out for. As built they're very light - there's nothing to them. I run mine loaded with coal containers which are loaded with a couple of nuts and some coal. The coupling is glued directly to the body. You may find problems with this if you've got tight curves (<12"). It's easy enough to round/chamfer the corners of the coupling though to avoid such problems.

post-7159-0-73885200-1341858578.jpg

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

HI Matt

My =C=Rail= kit of the PFA and coal container are made for me by Parkside Dundas so there as easy as they will be for a model of that size, i run a rake of about 28 on Law without any bother, we also do the correct shades of paint for cawoods and British Fuels.

Regards Arran

The N gauge ones are as simple as your first Airfix kit!

As Steven B has said, watch the couplings. I rounded the edges of mine and although they dont run on tight curves I did pin a piece of flexi in a 9" s-bend and they can go no probs

Rgds

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

I too would be looking for MOD containers in 00, as i have an MOD PFA in development for Wild Boar Models.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

The MoD containers also appear on more common wagons. I caught these two at Eastleigh in August 2011. Godfrey

post-138-0-65406800-1341998544_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-27717200-1341998571_thumb.jpg

The MoD containers also appear on more common wagons. I caught these two at Eastleigh in August 2011. The MoD containers also appear on more common wagons. I caught these two at Eastleigh in August 2011.

The MODA PFAs have been out of use for a few years now (a shame, as they were quite cute!) - the most common wagons they are seen on these days are Tiphook KFA and the FCA, but even when the PFA were in use you would get a mix of the red side door boxes and more conventional 20's and the mix of box types was seen across the mix of wagon types in use.

Nice catch on the pentalver side-door box as well.

thanks for everyones help...

i am going to buy 10 of the pfa wagons/containers + transfers.... the only thing i`m alittle worried about is that some of my track runs on raduis 1, will this be a issue? looking at some comments i guess it mite be?

i have done abit of research and can only find 56`s or 36`s pulling them... where these before the times of 66`s?

matt :)

• RMweb Premium

The N gauge ones are as simple as your first Airfix kit!

As Steven B has said, watch the couplings. I rounded the edges of mine and although they dont run on tight curves I did pin a piece of flexi in a 9" s-bend and they can go no probs

Rgds

Mark

Hi,

I was wondering if you could take a picture of the bit of coupling you rounded off?

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

i have done abit of research and can only find 56`s or 36`s pulling them... where these before the times of 66`s?

matt :)

i worked on them at seaforth docks when i worked for crumps back in the late 90s, i seem to recall it was about the time of the 66 introduction but it was also one of the last few times they worked into seaforth (before moving over to ellesmere port), i remember asking the yard supervisor if any 66s had been in the docks yet, he said a few had but im not sure if it was on the cawoods train, at the time id lost most interest in railways so wasnt up on the current scene

here is a pic of them running in 2003 anyway, not a 66 though and debranded

37428 6f56 liverpool docks cawoods 20.1.03

• 1 month later...

Archived