Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Funnily enough, just come in from the rather artic conditions next door to post a couple of pix of the latest progress...

post-16151-0-37684600-1418253718_thumb.jpg

Don't ya just love this part? A pile of points and a heap of plain track and you can try different configurations out to your heart's content...

post-16151-0-17568000-1418253735_thumb.jpg

Ignoring the heaps of track on the right(!) this is what I'm going to sleep on tonight. The Nottingham fiddle yard is intended to be 5 roads across - 6 would fit but space between each would be a bit tight given that the operator is going to have to reach across the (2 foot deep) main fiddle yard as it is to do any uncoupling etc. The two left-hand roads will be the through roads and will be where the coal trains will be stabled. The inner of the two (the up line) in between the two sets of points measures slightly in excess of an impressive 12feet. That should be enough to take a 40-wagon coal train plus loco. The middle of the 3 lines is intended to hold a 'general' goods train - that will take 25 wagons plus loco within its loop. The right hand two are then for the Nottingham (2) and Leicester (1) rakes. The crossover arrangement half way down allows for there to be two such rakes in each road (these obviously being somewhat smaller than the goods trains).

Ignore the apparent scissors arrangement in the foreground; the track beneath has yet to be removed to leave just a facing crossover to allow inbound trains to get to any of the 5 roads.

Meanwhile, in the distance, the three right hand roads will converge onto a 60ft turntable on the board beyond whilst the two through lines will skirt round said turntable before they split apart and the inner (up) line heads for the flyover. That next board will be the critical one to get right...

• Like 7

I am certain that nice Mr Edge could build another one!!

I think he's a little bit busy at the moment. Just look at this 'stud' that came a-visiting today

post-16151-0-13827600-1418324114_thumb.jpg

For completeness sake, the green ones are 46247 ('Liverpool'), 46235 ('Birmingham') & 46234 ('Abercorn'); the red 'uns are 46238 ('Carlisle'), 46240 ('Coventry') & 46256 (the man himself), with 46127 ('Old Comtemptibles') also in attendance.

post-16151-0-58633100-1418324135_thumb.jpg

Apologies if any are at slightly drunken angles - all but one are 'broad gauge'(!)

post-16151-0-28340200-1418324156_thumb.jpg

Portrait of Sir William

post-16151-0-45249600-1418324184_thumb.jpg

The Scot was equally gorgeous

So you've articulated the layout? I can't wait to see more details.

Here's the culprit. Would you trust this man with your layout?

post-16151-0-39182100-1418324612_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-87710300-1418324646_thumb.jpg

He looks a bit happier here, now that the portable heater is on (bottom left). The conditions were described as 'Siberian' but that didn't deter further good progress being made and we now have three further points (two working as a crossover) powered up on the depot.

Thanks once again to Barry for bringing the distinguished visitors and for his further input to progress on the layout.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The judicious application of mugs of tea and a really nice lunch helped to make things work....  only one pair of wires crossed (twice) but a nice days work!  So there is even more loco shed to get tied up in knots!

Baz

PS my circulation has now returned thanks to the heater in my Honda!

• Like 1

I think he's a little bit busy at the moment. Just look at this 'stud' that came a-visiting today

attachicon.gifIMG_2577.JPG

For completeness sake, the green ones are 46247 ('Liverpool'), 46235 ('Birmingham') & 46234 ('Abercorn'); the red 'uns are 46238 ('Carlisle'), 46240 ('Coventry') & 46256 (the man himself), with 46127 ('Old Comtemptibles') also in attendance.

attachicon.gifIMG_2579.JPG

Apologies if any are at slightly drunken angles - all but one are 'broad gauge'(!)

attachicon.gifIMG_2580.JPG

Portrait of Sir William

attachicon.gifIMG_2582.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2572.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2573.JPG

He looks a bit happier here, now that the portable heater is on (bottom left). The conditions were described as 'Siberian' but that didn't deter further good progress being made and we now have three further points (two working as a crossover) powered up on the depot.

Thanks once again to Barry for bringing the distinguished visitors and for his further input to progress on the layout.

Hi

Who makes that turntable, do feel sorry for you having to freeze to death working on the layout,looking very good!

Darren

Hi

Who makes that turntable

Darren

Made it myself, I did!

You can follow the story on several past pages on this thread:

#20 Start of turntable construction

#22 Turntable deck construction, fixing rails in place and fitting wiper contacts

#46 Motorising and completion

Thanks for kind comments.

attachicon.gifIMG_2577.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2579.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2580.JPG

Portrait of Sir William

attachicon.gifIMG_2582.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2572.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2573.JPG

Wow! Really spectacular gathering there. Thought for a minute that you'd started your next WCML project early!

I can think of a few duties for each of those cresting the bank past 1B....

Iain

• Like 1

And all late crest with OLE stickers so definitely your era, Iain. At this stage I can only dream of having a collection like that for the 'last great project'... :music:

Still - an incentive to get Grantham finished so I can at least make a start on it...

only one pair of wires crossed (twice) but a nice days work!  

Easily done when fatigue begins to set in. Despite looking carefully at the wiring of the pick-ups on the loco, at 10.30 on Tuesday evening I managed to connect the new tender pick-ups on my O4 the wrong way round! Unsurprisingly, when I checked the loco at 8am on Wednesday it didn't work, but with a fresh mind it was sorted out in moments.

Must be rather chilly in the old chapel! I only used to dress up like that when scrambling around under old buses trying to make them go, but that was many years ago.

Nice to see the LMS wandering minstrels that came along

Paul 4475

• Like 1

And all late crest with OLE stickers so definitely your era, Iain. At this stage I can only dream of having a collection like that for the 'last great project'... :music:

Still - an incentive to get Grantham finished so I can at least make a start on it...

Just a guess, but would the last great project be to buy the house next door, build a big shed that can have a model of Kings Cross in it, then connect the two?

Oh, come on, I was only joking!!!!!!!! :-)

Phil

• RMweb Premium

erm.. just found another one lurking in my "work to do box, along with a couple of Princesses..... just need to finish a fish van train...

Baz

• Like 1