Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Useful info, thanks.

I had previously been labouring under the impression that Rustons made agricultural machinery but not it appears by our era. We just need to make some convincing-looking 'crated' oil engines for the outgoing wagons by the looks of it...

A HUNDRED YEARS GOOD COMPANY makes interesting reading , published around 1960

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had forgotten about the Ruston and Hornsby book which goes into some detail about the complex arrangements between them and Aveling Barford who took over the Houghton Road site (for a short while I lived around the corner in Edward Street in 1960 at the age of 6!) Although I have the same surname there's no connection with Alfred Bellamy of Rustons as my Grandfather moved to Grantham from Somerset.

http://www.granthammatters.co.uk/bellamy-alfred-rowe-1862-1945/

The book also shows a couple of shots of the huge fire when the John Lee sack factory and waste rags depot in Inner Street (was part of the R&H site) went up in flames - I can remember seeing the red glow in the sky from Harrowby Road. The John Lee trade mark was a rabbit with a bowler hat - part of their business in the early days was the preparation of rabbit skins to make hats.

http://www.granthammatters.co.uk/lee-rothwell-1881-1963-2/

In the same Bygone Grantham series of books is 'The Rise and Fall of Aveling Barford (1933-1988)' which repeats some of the history of the relationship with Ruston Hornsby. Aveling Barford was formally created on 13th February 1934.

Interesting to note that the removal of a lot of the machinery from their original site at Rochester was described as the largest movement of machinery by the LNER - with an estimated weight of 10,000 tons, the move began in October 1933 with 5 or 6 wagons daily which had increased to 30 a day by the end of that year - unfortunately no photos or descriptions about the types of wagons used but that could be used as the excuse for a long mixed freight entering from the South and then setting back into the goods lines by the R & H factory

My Dad moved from Rochester up to Grantham with the A&B move. He was a vehicle tester and during the war they made and he tested Bren Gun carriers. I worked in the machine shop in 1972-3 when it was still a vibrant company making dumpers, graders and light rollers.

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Interesting to note that the removal of a lot of the machinery from their original site at Rochester was described as the largest movement of machinery by the LNER - with an estimated weight of 10,000 tons, the move began in October 1933 with 5 or 6 wagons daily which had increased to 30 a day by the end of that year - unfortunately no photos or descriptions about the types of wagons used but that could be used as the excuse for a long mixed freight entering from the South and then setting back into the goods lines by the R & H factory

More great info, thanks. Food for thought!

Hello, I have been reading through this whole thread over the last few weeks, and I have to say it's very very inspirational. I love lner and living near the ECML makes it all the mor realistic and relevant to me. The track work is fantastic, and I will definitely be employing some of your techniques when I eventually come to build my own oo layout. (currently living in Hong Kong where space is very much at a premium so having to make do with an n gauge layout of approx 6 x 3 ft). I'm also very impressed by the locomotives and rolling stock many of which are weathered to a very nice standard indeed. I notice that the coronation coach set with the beaver tail observation car come from kits? Are you able to tell me which kit? I have seen the mail coach kit but it looks rather tricky to get a decent result from... A brass kit might be much more workable though.. There is a silver jubilee brass kit available, from Marc Models. Does anyone have any information on it? To prevent thread drift, I'm happy to accept PMs!

Once again, great modelling and incredibly inspirational stuff, well done team!

Hi there, and thanks for kind comments.

The Coronation set is made from the Mail Coach (clear plastic) kits, constructed by Roy Mears. From what I can gather a bit of a 'challenge' to put together!

The more recent Silver Jubilee set (again constructed by Roy) is the Marc Models kits and seemed to be a more straightforward affair.

No worries over thread drift with a query like that! I can put you in touch with Roy re kit details but there may be others on here who know more about the kits (or indeed other options for modelling the streamliner sets).

• Like 1

Hi there, and thanks for kind comments.

The Coronation set is made from the Mail Coach (clear plastic) kits, constructed by Roy Mears. From what I can gather a bit of a 'challenge' to put together!

The more recent Silver Jubilee set (again constructed by Roy) is the Marc Models kits and seemed to be a more straightforward affair.

No worries over thread drift with a query like that! I can put you in touch with Roy re kit details but there may be others on here who know more about the kits (or indeed other options for modelling the streamliner sets).

Thank you for getting back to me. I think Roy has done a splendid job on the coronation set, considering the nature of the raw materials he started out with! Perhaps the silver jubilee set might be a better place for me to start. If you could put me in touch with Roy (as long as he doesn't mind!) that would be fantastic.

Before reading this thread, I was largely resigned to having the rather nice but limited selection of the newer Hornby teak coaches for my LNER collection, which I have been avidly collecting from a well known auction web site.. Now I have seen the coronation and silver jubilee coach sets, not to mention the lovely restaurant triplet in teak, (which I have to admit I had no idea existed before I read this) I feel I simply have to have a go at building these kits! I'm fairly confident with PE, having used it in numerous model aircraft and ships that I like to build, but hey, I fancy a challenge, and I think these will provide that. At least for the moment I am time rich, before the delights of family married life get in the way of my hobby enjoyment! Thanks once again, I shall be following your progress with interest.

Tom

• Like 1

Hallo Tom,

Mick B built the MARC Models Silver Jubilee set a few years ago - his build starts here.

If you fancy having a go at LNER coaches then just at the moment you're better placed if you learn to solder and build brass ones.  The Kirk/Mailcoach range is out of production at the moment and the present owner shows no sign of being able to get it going again.  I also see that you're not ideally placed to visit his stand at a show.  That being the case your only real route to acquiring kits is through Ebay or knowing someone who's selling some.  If you do manage to get hold of some to start, it's worth ditching a lot of the Kirk components and replacing with better ones from MJT or Comet.

Brass kits are not as hard as some people say.  A half way house which Tony Wright has been demonstrating recently is to use brass sides on a Hornby body.  There are a number of posts on here where he or Larry Goddard show how to do that.    Thtis option allows you to look at sides from MJT, Comet and Bill Bedford and select the diagrams you need to build correct formations.

If you do feel up to tackling a complete brass kit then there is plenty of choice at the moment - those suppliers mentioned, plus RDEB, D & S when available and one or two others.  I'm not sure I'd take on that MARC Models Silver Jubilee as a first attempt at brass building, but an MJT or Comet coach is a good starting point.

There's plenty of advice to be had on here (whether you want it or not) and some very fine builders showing what they do and how they do it.  Whatever plunge you decide to take, don't be shy about asking for help if you feel you need it.

• Like 1

Hallo Tom,

If you fancy having a go at LNER coaches then just at the moment you're better placed if you learn to solder and build brass ones.  The Kirk/Mailcoach range is out of production at the moment and the present owner shows no sign of being able to get it going again.  I also see that you're not ideally placed to visit his stand at a show.  That being the case your only real route to acquiring kits is through Ebay or knowing someone who's selling some.  If you do manage to get hold of some to start, it's worth ditching a lot of the Kirk components and replacing with better ones from MJT or Comet.

Don't know if it helps but there's some Kirk kits for sale on this very forum:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/classifieds/item/9384-coach-kits-and-detailing-parts-cometkirk-etc/

• Like 1

A little travelogue to break things up a bit (and by way of apology for no modellin' per se over the last 7 days!)

A visit to the Cite du Train in Mulhouse (en route to finding some real snow). This incredible place is on a par with our own NRM and yet was the best-kept secret in Alsace-Lorraine - no advertising whatsoever as far as we could make out. We had to ask for directions at Mulhouse station and it was pointed out as a tiniest dot on a town map! There can't have been more than 50 visitors in the entire place whilst we were there. Do persevere though as it is well-worth the effort.

post-16151-0-38318400-1423498274_thumb.jpg

The wheels went round on this awesome Baltic as part of an animated display every 30 mins.

post-16151-0-61822300-1423498422_thumb.jpg

Their collection of early nineteenth century locos is amazing (far more than in the UK?) - this is a Crampton; I've only ever seen line drawings of the similar machines that were used on the LNWR (and others?).

post-16151-0-10271900-1423498525_thumb.jpg

Their double decker trains have come on a bit since these days (looks a bit like the aftermath of an unfortunate 'telescoping' incident!)

post-16151-0-49792300-1423498585_thumb.jpg

The iconic Bugatti railcar (A4 front end lookalike?)

And now for the snow...

post-16151-0-01724400-1423498852_thumb.jpg

There's railway lines under that there white stuff.

post-16151-0-52444300-1423500386_thumb.jpg

Anyone who's been on the BOB trains out of Interlaken will appreciate this. I'm actually strapped to a pair of skis at this point, gingerly making me way down the 'blue run' from Kleine Schiedegg to Wengen (took me 1 hour 15mins!). The north face of the Eiger is extreme right.

post-16151-0-74221800-1423499042_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way. Mrs LNER4479 advises me that the cumulative snow fall in the area in 2015 so far is 292cm (what's that? Just shy of 10 feet?) but the trains just run - on time - irrespective.

post-16151-0-97523300-1423499300_thumb.jpg

No trains here, but just had to share these views. This is at the top of the Mannlichenbahn cable car run from Grindelwald. Not done this before but glad we did. Another aspect on the three trademark mountains of the Bernese Oberland - Eiger (left), Monch (centre) and Jungfrau (right). The nearer peak (Tschuggen) hides the view of the Jungfraujoch (highest railway station in Europe); to its right and slightly lower is the Lauberhorn, starting point of Wengen's famous world cup downhill course (very definitely off limits for me!)

post-16151-0-06354800-1423499437_thumb.jpg

This would be a view of the Lauterbrunnen valley - except it's shrouded in mist, giving this surreal view of the Alpine peaks poking through the clouds.

post-16151-0-71915700-1423499866_thumb.jpg

The spectacular cable car down the other side of the mountain to Wengen emerges out of the mist. A real 'where eagles dare' ride!

post-16151-0-65432800-1423500045_thumb.jpg

Finally, a tenuous link to Grantham. They do rather like their 'super scissors' out on the continent! Virtually every significant station features some form of combination like this (Geneva) - some quite elaborate - as part of their track formations. Interesting stuff.. (well, I think so!)

Right, back to the modelling...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 18

It's good, Mulhouse, isn't it?  Did you spot the Leeds Forge built warflat?  There used to be a Long Boiler at the entrance, but it seems to have vanished when they refurbished.  They used to share with the Fire Brigade museum, but turfed them out when they went to the 'interactive' displays.  I always enjoy the President in his Pyjamas as well.  If only our Prime Minister would do something that embarrassing.....

Did you eat there?  Best restaurant in any museum I've ever been in anywhere.

The Museum of Electricity opposite is apparently well worth it as well, but I've always ended up spending so much time with the trains I've never had time to go.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree wholeheartedly with Jonathan - the food at the railway museum at Mulhouse is excellent (and was not expensive when I last visited but that was 2003).  I liked the museum but found its layout made photography of rolling stock exhibits a bit awkward in some parts and back then some of it was rather disorganised.

Nice see the Bernese Oberland too thank you.  I had a week in Grindelwald at a conference but in the late summer so the only snow was up the top and my hotel balcony gave a good view directly towards the Eiger, except I only saw it on a few of the days I was there as the rest of the time everything was shrouded in cloud and mist!  (but we did get a special deal on fares which got me from Grindelwald to the Jungfraujoch for 25% of the normal lowest fare :sungum: 

• Like 1

There used to be a Long Boiler at the entrance, but it seems to have vanished when they refurbished.

Did you eat there?  Best restaurant in any museum I've ever been in anywhere.

You mean this one?

post-16151-0-91398300-1423504345_thumb.jpg

They must have reinstated it.

We actually had some food with us so we bought a drink then found a table tucked round a corner and surreptitiously ate our sarnies whilst supping our drinks! (Well, it's expensive taking a trip to Switzerland :jester: ). Did look a nice set up though.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

There's something slightly P2ish about that Baltic.

Lovely photos of snow covered Switzerland too.  Takes me back.  We had our honeymoon there (in the summer).  Stayed in Wengen and walked up and down as many of the mountains as we could.  Ate lunch on the balcony of that hotel looking across at the Eiger.  Tramped over the glacier at the top of the Jungfrau.  Wonderful!  Thanks for posting.

I had no idea that such gems could be seen in Műlhausen in the Alsatz. Are there any Cramptons anywhere else in the world I wonder, and is that one a genuine survivor or a reconstruction? Nice to see the loco on the plinth outside too. You can't beat the ubiquitous long-boiler loco, even when the con-rods are missing.

How odd that electronic garbage at times transforms the letter u, with an umlaut, into a question mark!

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1

A little travelogue to break things up a bit (and by way of apology for no modellin' per se over the last 7 days!)

A visit to the Cite du Train in Mulhouse (en route to finding some real snow). This incredible place is on a par with our own NRM and yet was the best-kept secret in Alsace-Lorraine - no advertising whatsoever as far as we could make out. We had to ask for directions at Mulhouse station and it was pointed out as a tiniest dot on a town map! There can't have been more than 50 visitors in the entire place whilst we were there. Do persevere though as it is well-worth the effort.

attachicon.gifIMG_3085.JPG

The wheels went round on this awesome Baltic as part of an animated display every 30 mins.

attachicon.gifIMG_3092.JPG

Their collection of early nineteenth century locos is amazing (far more than in the UK?) - this is a Crampton; I've only ever seen line drawings of the similar machines that were used on the LNWR (and others?).

attachicon.gifIMG_3095.JPG

Their double decker trains have come on a bit since these days (looks a bit like the aftermath of an unfortunate 'telescoping' incident!)

attachicon.gifIMG_3097.JPG

The iconic Bugatti railcar (A4 front end lookalike?)

And now for the snow...

attachicon.gifIMG_3107.JPG

There's railway lines under that there white stuff.

attachicon.gifIMG_3115.JPG

Anyone who's been on the BOB trains out of Interlaken will appreciate this. I'm actually strapped to a pair of skis at this point, gingerly making me way down the 'blue run' from Kleine Schiedegg to Wengen (took me 1 hour 15mins!). The north face of the Eiger is extreme right.

attachicon.gifIMG_3118.JPG

Looking the other way. Mrs LNER4479 advises me that the cumulative snow fall in the area in 2015 so far is 292cm (what's that? Just shy of 10 feet?) but the trains just run - on time - irrespective.

attachicon.gifIMG_3262.JPG

No trains here, but just had to share these views. This is at the top of the Mannlichenbahn cable car run from Grindelwald. Not done this before but glad we did. Another aspect on the three trademark mountains of the Bernese Oberland - Eiger (left), Monch (centre) and Jungfrau (right). The nearer peak (Tschuggen) hides the view of the Jungfraujoch (highest railway station in Europe); to its right and slightly lower is the Lauberhorn, starting point of Wengen's famous world cup downhill course (very definitely off limits for me!)

attachicon.gifIMG_3267.JPG

This would be a view of the Lauterbrunnen valley - except it's shrouded in mist, giving this surreal view of the Alpine peaks poking through the clouds.

attachicon.gifIMG_3265.JPG

The spectacular cable car down the other side of the mountain to Wengen emerges out of the mist. A real 'where eagles dare' ride!

attachicon.gifIMG_3292.JPG

Finally, a tenuous link to Grantham. They do rather like their 'super scissors' out on the continent! Virtually every significant station features some form of combination like this (Geneva) - some quite elaborate - as part of their track formations. Interesting stuff.. (well, I think so!)

Right, back to the modelling...

there is a crompton model in the science museum which is a working model. Just push a button. My kids love watching the motion

Going back a few weeks, I like what you do with Peco points in making quite complicated set-pieces using diamonds and slips. Also the track level photo shows your trackwork to be perfectly flat, something very dear to my heart and yet often plagued with wood that starts off flat but is just waiting to up my billiard table aims!

• RMweb Gold

I had no idea that such gems could be seen in Műlhausen in the Alsatz. Are there any Cramptons anywhere else in the world I wonder, and is that one a genuine survivor or a reconstruction? Nice to see the loco on the plinth outside too. You can't beat the ubiquitous long-boiler loco, even when the con-rods are missing.

The museum is well worth the trip with some fascinating loco exhibits which you don't realise have been saved until you see them.  The only problem my son and I found was sussing out the 'bus from the station - owing to a seemingly odd lot of signing we did the entire 'bus route have left the station in the wrong direction and then deciding to go to that terminus and back!

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

Thanks Coach,

Yes, 'billiard table' baseboards is the aim but I find it a constant battle, as the wood can distort over quite long periods of time. The issue for me has been the tendency to form 'ski jumps' at the baseboard joins. Video is the best / worst for revealing such places.

Twice within the last 18 months (both featured on this thread somewhere), I have taken the track up (now who does that sound like?!) and attacked the baseboard (9mm ply) with chisel and plane to get rid of the worst of the hump across the join then relaid.

And - in a counter tale to what is usually told - the worst piece of ply I had came from an independent wood merchant. I'm still battling with a couple of the boards made from that but the worst piece I had to remove and replace completely within a couple of months (fortunately I hadn't laid any track to speak of on that particular board at the time).

Partly based on that experience, I have to say I'm a customer of the orange DIY chain (others are available). I can spent 10-15 minutes checking out all the sheets of ply in the rack before choosing the straightest and true-ist one. Only time will tell if they do stay straight n true but at least I started out with the best piece I could find...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3

The museum is well worth the trip with some fascinating loco exhibits which you don't realise have been saved until you see them.  The only problem my son and I found was sussing out the 'bus from the station - owing to a seemingly odd lot of signing we did the entire 'bus route have left the station in the wrlot of signing we did the entire 'bus route have left the station in the wrong direction and then deciding to go to that terminus and back!

Not sure whether the trams were running when you went Mike but that is how we got there. Route 3 runs from straight outside the main station and the stop is simply called 'Musee'. It is also walkable from Mulhouse Dornach station which is served by some of the stopping services in the Strasbourg direction.

Glad this is of some interest. Here are a few more to maybe entice you further...

post-16151-0-78126200-1423571936_thumb.jpg

Another 'weird and wonderful' old engine. Note the twin-barrelled wine wagon behind - Mrs LNER4479's favourite exhibit!

post-16151-0-76157600-1423571984_thumb.jpg

An even ancient-er loco. And note the foot warmer in the coach compartment. Another (tenuous) link to Grantham, as a former role of the wooden hut at the south end of the down platform at Grantham was apparently for the 'foot warmers' (presumably - during a station stop - remove the cold ones and replace with ones freshly topped up with hot water for the next leg of the journey). Ah the joys of nineteenth century rail travel...

post-16151-0-32417600-1423572157_thumb.jpg

Just to show I'm not oblivious to D&E, this was a very interestingly sectioned exhibit

post-16151-0-85015000-1423572203_thumb.jpg

The 'stretched Clayton with a pantograph' is apparently quite a distinctive French design. And the loco on the left...

post-16151-0-19610100-1423572294_thumb.jpg

Quite rightly a key exhibit. The story of the record run is dramatically told, including the moment when the pantograph was lowered at 290kph (for fear of it melting altogether) and the second one raised (at 280kph) to complete the run.

post-16151-0-04855500-1423572736_thumb.jpg

The separate hall with the themed areas has dimmed lighting levels so photography is a little challenging. This loco on its side tells the tale of the role of the resistance during WWII, another really interesting exhibit.

We really ought to be getting back to some modelling!

• Like 13