Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

I suspect the same laws of contrariness which decree that a kit built loco always runs better backwards are involved.

Thanks to everyone who came to see us at St. Neots at the weekend and were kind enough to make favourable comment. It was encouraging to see a healthy crowd across the layout all weekend. Thanks also to Tom who gave up his holiday to come and visit and then help with the packing and loading.

Any photos would be welcome - I didn't have time to take any at all at the weekend.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who came to see us at St. Neots at the weekend and were kind enough to make favourable comment. It was encouraging to see a healthy crowd across the layout all weekend. Thanks also to Tom who gave up his holiday to come and visit and then help with the packing and loading.

Any photos would be welcome - I didn't have time to take any at all at the weekend.

Yes, my slightly belated thanks for interest shown and favourable comments made. Jackie Younger reports that it was the highest attendance yet for the show (just shy of 3,000 through the door) so if we contributed that in some way then that is most gratifying.

Alas no photos but 'Sir' did take a few which he has posted on Wright Writes, if you haven't already been over there. There is also at least one piece of video on YouTube that has been posted.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Do you fit the flanged wheelset under the cab.

If so then that could explain why.

I did that in the LNER loco classes you mentioned and I found that the flanged wheelset under the cab actually lifted the middle and rear driving wheels up just enough to prevent the locos from getting full traction.

The solution I used was to remove the chassis, unscrew and remove the rear catazzi moulding aswell as the wheelset under the cab then file the slot to make it deeper. Test the depth as you go and keep doing that until all 6 driving wheels are in full contact with the rails when the flanged under cab wheels are in place.

I did that with my locos and it had a marked improvement on the haulage ability of the locos. Lead will certainly help them too but beware, adding too much will knock them out of balance so you may have to fit some in the cabs too.

That's an interesting 'trick'. Just for info (as if you didn't know, all of you), Roy Jackson's Pacifics often do not have the trailing, under cab wheelset. Unless you peer very closely it is hard to tell they are not there. Anyone tried not having a set on a Hornby/Bachman item?

Philth

• RMweb Premium

A conundrum...

why do Hornby A4s and A3s/A1s have differing haulage capability?

While the models look the same the haulage capacity between two A1s  is quite marked?

Fortunately, having added some lead to my "new" (secondhand) A4 Silver Link it was capable of pulling the streamliner set on Grantham with ease. (despite some of the floor vagaries at last weekends' show.

Any ideas as some of the operators are interested in why.

Baz

We found with mine that it was all down to the tender pick ups. Some were very sticky indeed, but when we adjusted them the haulage capacity of all A4s and A3s became at least 11 coaches, even on the fairly sharp curves at either end of PN.

Those long periods of apparent total inactivity on the layout..

I notice you seem to have found me sitting and/or chatting at every appearance as well.

Can we hire some sort of animatronic to create at least an illusion of activity round the back? If we put a green T-shirt on it, no-one will be able to tell whether it's you or me?

• Like 1

I suspect the same laws of contrariness which decree that a kit built loco always runs better backwards are involved.Thanks to everyone who came to see us at St. Neots at the weekend and were kind enough to make favourable comment. It was encouraging to see a healthy crowd across the layout all weekend. Thanks also to Tom who gave up his holiday to come and visit and then help with the packing and loading.Any photos would be welcome - I didn't have time to take any at all at the weekend.

My absolute pleasure to be of some (extremely limited) assistance, and also a huge thank you for allowing me to run a few of my partially completed locos on the layout. I was relieved they went round without falling off, and seeing them go round Grantham has given me the confidence that they do work on a real layout, and not just round a tiny test track in my flat!

Very good to see all the team as well as the layout.

Looking forward to my next visit to see this superb layout.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I bought a Hornby A4 "Silver Link" before St Neots and it seemed to run OK. BUT it was far too clean...so..

stage 1 weathering done today with more to come...

post-7650-0-82549900-1490808533_thumb.jpg

Baz

• Like 17

Guest Brighton_JunctionLNER

She looks rather clean in the photo, i think you might have put too much on barry?

but its your model and you are free to do any kind of weathering you like!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

While that colour photo is a starter for 10 I looked at a lot of black and white photos of "silver" streaks - before setting off with this one. It isn't finished yet but it will look work worn. It doesn't matter how clean a loco is when it sets off the fluids and hard dirt coming from the chimney tend to make the loco dirty.  And A4s have specific places where they get dirty os wait till its finished...mind you its a good job this wasn't a gatesheed engine as they just never seemed to clean anything...

What I would say is that the "silver" colour used by Hornby really grabs at the ink and powder. Note sure why but ...it just does...

Baz

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bit of radio silence of late ... but work ongoing nonetheless.

Herewith a short sequence of pictures showing vehicle 2 of the Quint set coming into being:

attachicon.gifIMG_9442.JPG

This is a Danny Pinnock D.156 6-wheel composite

attachicon.gifIMG_9521.jpg

No compartment partitions in a D&S kit so I made some using one from the brake kits as a template

attachicon.gifIMG_9541.JPG

Having got on well with the method of assembly of the first vehicle, I followed the same pattern again

attachicon.gifIMG_9542.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9544.JPG

Et voila! Nice n square with little prospect of sides bowing in.

attachicon.gifIMG_9545.JPG

Couldn't resist it. 2/5ths of a Quint set.

In other news, signal parts purchased (at York show) for the remaining signals, at the south end. Probably a project for back end of the year.

I like the sheet protecting the desk. Takes me back to Haymarket days...

• Like 3

Have you a photo of her in such a state  ? From memory they were kept immaculate ?

A couple of months back, Steam Days did an article on the silver locos. Several pictures show them in this state.

I must be one of the few remaining RMW members to have seen one of the locos in silver livery when almost new.

My dad took me to Copley Hill sheds (Leeds) when I was a very little lad --- was I ever?? ---- probably one Sunday morning before WW2 , perhaps 1938 . There was this big silver thing standing on the turn table. He read the name. --- Silver Link.

Derek

• Like 10