Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Anyway ...

To change the subject a little, we went for a little trip out today in the nice weather. Can you identify where we went?

Scarborough?

Well - where else would Dewhirst Coaches of Bradford be taking you on a mystery coach tour?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Scarborough?

Well - where else would Dewhirst Coaches of Bradford be taking you on a mystery coach tour?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Bridlington? Only a bit down the coast but still firmly rooted in NER territory. Edited by Herbert Nigel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well done HN! At least that proved slightly more tricky than I thought.

Some intrestin bits of railway up that line. Both Beverley and Filey still have their overall roofs, a la Pickering.

One of our Wakefield club members grew up at Filey and has written about it' railway history. He's a draughtsman by trade and did some very good drawings of the station roof. As a result of this he was consulted by the NYMR when they did the new roof at Pickering as they were all designed by the same bloke originally.

Jamie

• Like 1

One of our Wakefield club members grew up at Filey and has written about it' railway history. He's a draughtsman by trade and did some very good drawings of the station roof. As a result of this he was consulted by the NYMR when they did the new roof at Pickering as they were all designed by the same bloke originally.

Very definitely a 'house style'. Congrats to you fellow club member for their involvement in the Pickering project as it has transformed the station.

post-16151-0-31663000-1502956050_thumb.jpg

See what I did there? With the effortless introduction of No.7 (alias LNER 4498) we're firmly back on topic :smoke:

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

That is the man. Much liked by Alan smith who has built a lot of his buildings in 3mm over the years.

post-7650-0-75760200-1502993994_thumb.jpg

Everingham.. coming to our show at Leeds this year.

Baz

• Like 16

Been away again. On a trip to foreign lands - Devon :jester:

post-16151-0-22554200-1503343766_thumb.jpg

Not much point having a 'guess where' competition with pics like this.

post-16151-0-61194000-1503343872_thumb.jpg

Down on the platforms, undeniably a shadow of its former self but there are still trains here, including this one that has just clambered up rather a steep hill...

Anyhow, time to head out into the glorious local countryside

post-16151-0-18725600-1503343919.jpg

Bet this place gets a good congregation!

But of course, we are talking of a different Beer...

post-16151-0-92144500-1503346256_thumb.jpg

Mecca!

post-16151-0-14003500-1503346638_thumb.jpg

I have been before - 34 years ago! Nice day for an open top train ride.

post-16151-0-00872300-1503346990_thumb.jpg

The gardens have come along nicely since last time I was hereabouts. The factory roof in the mid-distance is where all the magic happens. A fair few items emerging from there have passed through my hands in the last 30 odd years...

post-16151-0-73466900-1503347130_thumb.jpg

Not far away is this place, built on some ol' branchline or other - no doubt 'Mecca' for the builder of a certain layout based around here (quack!)

post-16151-0-49409800-1503347343_thumb.jpg

Nice to see the old station at Colyton in use and looking very fine.

post-16151-0-33185000-1503347466_thumb.jpg

Yesterday, the weather wasn't so clever. This was about as good as it got.

post-16151-0-45637000-1503347551_thumb.jpg

Which was a shame as we'd sort of based the trip around seeing the Torbay express along the sea wall.

Ah well - can't win 'em all!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Did you go to the beach at Beer?

Exeter Central Still has character and is, of course, the Principal Station in Exeter due to the position. I had not realised they had introduced rack and pinion working for the Incline (see Platform 1 track).

Hope you had a good weekend. I rather miss Exeter and the surrounding Devonshire area.

Phil 

Did you go to the beach at Beer?

Exeter Central Still has character and is, of course, the Principal Station in Exeter due to the position.

Beer beach was deemed to be a beach too far as we were relying on a somewhat spasmodic bus service to get about and I was keen to try the Seaton tramway - which we both enjoyed so probably the right decision.

Yes, I enjoyed taking in the character of the LSWR Exeter station. Having never wandered round the city before I hadn't appreciated that it is indeed the closest to the centre. Hence the name. Simples really!

• Like 3

Our children used to love a trip to Beer, Pecorama was usually a first trip in the summer to coincide with my birthday, the beach is great too though parking in Beer is a nightmare. On a clear day you can see Portland where we live from Pecorama and the drive back along the coast road via Abbotsbury is stunning on a nice day.

Martyn

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I reckon the trip to the PECO factory was an attempt to get enough of the as yet unreleased new bullhead code 75 points to re-lay Grantham in its entirety before the Hartlepool show......

only if you are ballasting it..... :jester:

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Beer beach was deemed to be a beach too far as we were relying on a somewhat spasmodic bus service to get about and I was keen to try the Seaton tramway - which we both enjoyed so probably the right decision.

Yes, I enjoyed taking in the character of the LSWR Exeter station. Having never wandered round the city before I hadn't appreciated that it is indeed the closest to the centre. Hence the name. Simples really!

But did you try the chippy in Seaton?  Not far from the tram terminus and highly recommended.

http://frydays.eu