Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Further update posted on the Big Boy thread.

In case you can't been be bothered to look, here is the beast, looking rather splendiferous in the early evening Cheyenne sunshine.

DSC06316_LR.jpg.fd79ea0ba0d38339da07b34ed6941c01.jpg 

Them there red thingies on the valve gear, aren't they supposed to point the same way if the Big Boy is to move backwards or the other way? At the moment one set of wheels would rotate clockwise and the other set anti-clockwise.

5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

TW has noticed that the smokebox handrail is too low.

They've also left the cylinder covers off and not bothered with the cab window glazing - tut!

(up against the clock working to a tight deadline - where have I heard that before?)

(see what I did there? 'up against the clock...' ... 'U.P. against the clock'? U.P. ... Union Pacific? Oh forget it!)

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

No way the biggest.... 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-6-6-6#/media/File%3ACandOLocomotive-1601.jpg

A proper job locomotive.. step forward the C & O Allegenhey 2-6-6-6

Flippin' heck. "The locomotive was built to power coal trains on the 0.57% eastward climb from White Sulphur Springs, WV to Allegheny, VA. With one at the front and another at the back, 11,500-ton coal trains left Hinton, WV and were at full throttle from White Sulphur Springs (a resort) to the top."

- from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-6-6-6#

By my calculations a 0.57% grade is 1 in 17.5.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Flippin' heck. "The locomotive was built to power coal trains on the 0.57% eastward climb from White Sulphur Springs, WV to Allegheny, VA. With one at the front and another at the back, 11,500-ton coal trains left Hinton, WV and were at full throttle from White Sulphur Springs (a resort) to the top."

- from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-6-6-6#

By my calculations a 0.57% grade is 1 in 17.5.

*cough* 1 in 175

(1 in 100 would be 1% - 0.57% is almost half that....)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, jukebox said:

*cough* 1 in 175

(1 in 100 would be 1% - 0.57% is almost half that....)

Phew! Thank goodness for that.

You're quite right of course. I was thinking of the insane hills they have over there like Saluda at 4.7% and Raton Pass at ~3%. I just got my brain in a muddle by thinking 5.7% instead of 0.57%.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Steve

The radius arms are pointing in opposite directions.

Yes but ....

The 'red bits' (expansion links) are pointing in different directions because they're attached via cranks to the driving wheels, which have come to rest in different positions (leading engine, coupling rods down, trailing engine, coupling rods up).

But it's the rods attached to them (to the right in the picture) which are moved up or down by the reverser and govern which way the wheels go round (whether above or below the central pivot of the expansion links).  In the Wikipedia article it calls them "radius bars" but I think of them as radius rods.  In the picture both engines are in mid gear (radius rods virtually horizontal & passing through the centre of the expansion links) so the wheels won't go round at all.

Which is how a loco should be left when it's unattended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walschaerts_valve_gear

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Looking good gents, good to see GTSY in full flight again, can’t believe its been three years since I seen it in the flesh. 

I hope the triplet set ran beautifully? I would expect nothing less from JW and thanks Baz for the sale. I hope to see you all in November. 

• Like 2

Good to get an update at last, we’ve missed you.  Lots of good stuff to be seen as always so thank you.

I am interested in the background of the J2 as we can justify a couple on our forthcoming Clayton layout.  As far as I am aware there isn’t a kit available so I am expecting to have to draw up my own etches as I have already done for other items.  Can I ask is this a scratch build or is (was) there actually a kit available?

All the best,

Frank

Hello Frank,

I cobbled the J2 together by adaptation of home made resin J6 parts and placed them on a less than ideally suitable Bachmann K3 chassis that I happened to have, already shorn of its cylinders and valve gear. I didn't like the way that the gear housing shows under the boiler, but it was simply an exercise in quickly making something different from items already on hand. Obviously, amongst other tasks, I had to enlarge the splashers and both partly fill in then file to shape the cab spectacles. The J6 resin parts could be produced again to a reasonably sharp and clean standard, at a later date, if I renew the mould, otherwise I suspect  they would be somewhat ragged if cast again in the old mould. If you love to see scale, thin edges to running plates and cabs you would probably be much happier with etched parts. Much would depend on your preferred construction methods.

Graeme King

STA70229.JPG

Edited by gr.king
Images and additional text added
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Yes indeedy,  the first time we've seen the layout since January - and it showed from time to time.  We had a day troubleshooting all the little jobs which there is never time for at shows, then a day running the sequence and ironing out any more faults which became apparent.

I had a few new items to bring along and made sure at least some were photographed.  Here is Shotover, complete with ACFI gear, working a down service at the north end of Grantham station.

Grantham-shotover-down-FS.jpg

This K3 has come my way in return for some carriage building.  It's Bachmann but with cab and chassis by Tony Wright.  

Grantham-New-K3-small.jpg

4466 Herring Gull has also returned to the layout as part of a trade.  This was a Grantham locomotive for much of our period, so it's very much at home.  Here it's on shed with long term resident 4479.

Grantham-4479-4466-small.jpg

Most of what photography I did otherwise was across to the up side yards, which was where most of the goods stock starts the sequence of movements.  Here a J2 (Graeme King) awaits the off with a freight to New England.

Grantham-up-yard-3-small.jpg

Fordson tractor in a rake of loaded wagons; in the background the cattle wagons would be against the cattle dock, were it in place.

Grantham-up-yard-small.jpg

Moving slightly left, over the top of some stabled carriage stock, the photographer has captured a cut of tank wagons with an NER special cattle wagon behind.  Was that kit ever released?  The LNWR van at right angles to the rest shows where the end of the maltings building will be placed.

Grantham-up-yard-2-small.jpg

Pictures from today, with buildings in place; looking over an O4 awaiting the call to High Dyke and the rear of the shed building, we see a rake of empty wagons with some loaded Appleby Frodingham iron ore hoppers behind.  The south end pilot is also in evidence.

Grantham-view-rear-of-old-shed.jpg

Lastly the Lee & Grinling maltings building which always repays study, with NER and GN vans and an LBSCR open in front.  There's to be some scenic work in the next few weeks so I imagine those railings will be attended to.

Grantham-Lee-grinling-small.jpg

Finally something else new, but you'll have to look at my thread to find out about it.

Grantham-D45-test-build.jpg

Wonderful stuff, Jonathan,

In fact, the whole layout.

I hope that K3 behaved itself. Ex-Tom Foster I assume? 

I think we used the original Bachmann valve gear with a SE Finecast chassis and cab.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Tony.  The K3 did behave in the main, although when working the coal empties it jibbed at one of the dead frog crossings.  Given I'd only taken it out of the box for the first time on Friday night, stuck the cab on and made a tender coupling, it did well.  I will look at tender pickups as I did intend it to work the coal as well as being cover for the Scotch Goods (although we have two V2s, so that may be overkill).  Yes, it did come from Tom.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, gr.king said:

I've given up trying to add a second image above. Here it is instead:

STA70304.JPG

Wow, I could never contemplate such a complex conversion(?).  Well done for making it look so convincing.  I think I’ll stick with plan A.  Other than the usual books the only drawing I have uncovered is from the Isinglass range whereas for my previous attempts at etching I have had access to a General Arrangement drawing as a minimum.  I am not looking forward to those curved frames. I need to look at how the other kit designers have approached these.  

Cheers,

Frank

• RMweb Premium

This is how I did the curved footplate for a C1 4-4-2.802704942_ScreenShot2019-08-27at06_57_52.png.7ee70d9bbcfd9ce488355d5f002acf0e.png

Footplate angle is full sheet thickness, footplate is half etched at each side for the angle to sit in, only half sheet thickness is visible at the edges but the whole footplate is stronger. half etched lines across at the bends allow it to be formed easily. The colours are only for visibility when drawing, grey etched both sides, blue from back, tags on front in yellow, back in khaki. This was done for 7mm in .022n/s but would work in 4mm with .015" brass or n/s.

1214540794_04-31GNRC1299.JPG.e39b8f796c198bee51adf7c169e5cf53.JPG

Finished loco before painting.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

34 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

This is how I did the curved footplate for a C1 4-4-2.802704942_ScreenShot2019-08-27at06_57_52.png.7ee70d9bbcfd9ce488355d5f002acf0e.png

Footplate angle is full sheet thickness, footplate is half etched at each side for the angle to sit in, only half sheet thickness is visible at the edges but the whole footplate is stronger. half etched lines across at the bends allow it to be formed easily. The colours are only for visibility when drawing, grey etched both sides, blue from back, tags on front in yellow, back in khaki. This was done for 7mm in .022n/s but would work in 4mm with .015" brass or n/s.

1214540794_04-31GNRC1299.JPG.e39b8f796c198bee51adf7c169e5cf53.JPG

Finished loco before painting.

Hi Mike,

thanks for showing me your approach.  What a beautiful model you’ve ended up with.  If it’s agreeable with you I might discuss this further at Expo EM in a couple of weeks?

Frank