Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

My Dad once got very excited about a beautiful clear day he'd experienced on the west coast of Scotland. Trying to describe it to me (over the phone), he came out with the following: '... in fact, it was SO clear that, if the earth was flat, you could have seen all the way to America!'

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

12 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

My Dad once got very excited about a beautiful clear day he'd experienced on the west coast of Scotland. Trying to describe it to me (over the phone), he came out with the following: '... in fact, it was SO clear that, if the earth was flat, you could have seen all the way to America!'

I grew up on the top of the Cotswolds scarp.  On a clear day I could see the cooling towers at Didcot 22 and 3/4 miles away.  On every other day the wind blew straight in from Siberia.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I think they call that the Hebridies, where from the top Of Bhein Mhor on South Uist, you can see about 60 miles in any direction tot he horizon.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I think they call that the Hebridies, where from the top Of Bhein Mhor on South Uist, you can see about 60 miles in any direction tot he horizon.

Isn't there a saying about the number of kingdoms that can be seen from the top of Snaefell in the Isle of Man?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Well today in Lincolnshire the weather is so grotty I cannot see the bottom of our land let alone Grantham.

Where I live I cannot see Grantham cos the Wolds is in the way. Hopefully over the weekend I will see Grantham in Spalding.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Re: Grantham

Hope the Spalding Show goes well.

I haven't seen Grantham for so long I'm getting withdrawal symptoms, and I need to admire the signalling.

Re: Fog

Really nasty in Shildon (Locomotion) this afternoon. When I got home I needed to look up NER policy on 'sighting objects'.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I grew up on the top of the Cotswolds scarp.  On a clear day I could see the cooling towers at Didcot 22 and 3/4 miles away.  On every other day the wind blew straight in from Siberia.

We live about 5 minutes from Leeds Bradford Airport. If you take off vrom leedsand turn towards Holland and never increase your altitude you will run into the Ural mountains eventually.  Which is why we can get very cold wind running through Leeds.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, drmditch said:

Re: Grantham

Hope the Spalding Show goes well.

I haven't seen Grantham for so long I'm getting withdrawal symptoms, and I need to admire the signalling.

Re: Fog

Really nasty in Shildon (Locomotion) this afternoon. When I got home I needed to look up NER policy on 'sighting objects'.

To paraphrase Churchill, who is Sighting and why does he object?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, TheQ said:

When I climbed it we had a crystal clear view of St Kilda which is some 40 miles further out into the Atlantic. A fantastic hill.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

To paraphrase Churchill, who is Sighting and why does he object?

Not sure I understand your question.

'Sighting Objects' were those items which if, in fog or falling snow, a signalman could not see clearly he should call out the 'fogmen'.

The NER  gradually installed special lamp-lit markers to serve this function.

Since you have taken upon yourself the name and a number of a Southern Area locomotive, you will, presumably, not be worried about running through a signal or two.

(Re; Driver Sparshatt at Northallerton)

Never-the-less it does not remove the responsibility from the Signalmen to ensure that proper attention was called to signals.

Thanks for letting me have another play on Grantham today. I hope the DCC sound layouts don't drive you all mad- they were certainly getting on my nerves by the end of the day!

Thanks for giving my J6 a spin too, even if it didn't make it up the gradient in the fiddle yard.

Jamie

Edited by JamieR4489
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Interestingly Jamie, after I added one of my K2s to assist your J6 on the next circuit and they both "stopped dead" at the foot of the bank, the finger of suspicion was pointed at the locos, yet as soon as I got home I tested the K2 and it runs perfectly normally. I wouldn't be surprised if you find your J6 running perfectly normally at home too, as I suspect yet another electrical supply fault  on the layout or a or an "end of long day" operating error.....

Edited by gr.king
typographical error correction
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Grantham back home safely, after an overnight stay at Super Barry-O's.

Good to see so many folks at the show; seemed to be a good overall turnout. Apologies for anyone who's viewing enjoyment was spoilt by the spasmodic electrical gremlins that befell the fiddle yard. At least back stage you can 'hand ball' the trains out to the wings ready to 'enter stage right' so hopefully the running on the public side still looked OK. Still no nearer finding out the root cause of the fault(s); suspect that several different factors were at work. I also suspect that, having been dismantled for transportation, when reassembled again at Southampton they will behave impeccably. Damn electrons; give me rods and cranks any day of the week!

You made a starring appearance, Manna, looking beautiful in pristine apple green as No.2596. Unfortunately, I didn't have the presence of mind to wield my camera at any point over the weekend; however, I know that at least Jonathan did so here's hoping...

• Like 7

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get to Spalding this weekend. I would have liked to have seen the layout again.

To console myself though, I did spend a good few hours re-reading this thread from the beginning! (So I was there in spirit at least)

Jon

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1