Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

2 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get to Spalding this weekend. I would have liked to have seen the layout again.

To console myself though, I did spend a good few hours re-reading this thread from the beginning! (So I was there in spirit at least)

Jon

Sorry you couldn't make it to Spalding, Jon,

I hope your wife recovers well.

The NER tender kit will be in the post to you tomorrow.

I would have liked to have got some more pictures of Grantham at Spalding, but there really was no time.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Sorry you couldn't make it to Spalding, Jon,

I hope your wife recovers well.

The NER tender kit will be in the post to you tomorrow.

I would have liked to have got some more pictures of Grantham at Spalding, but there really was no time.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

Thank you , my wife has made good progress and is well on the way to complete recovery.

I posted the cheque for the tender today (somehow that sounded better than.   “ the cheque is in the post”!)

Jon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Not fit for purpose for lighting up the area including the fiddle yard.

Baz

Should have worn a white  shirt Barry, instead of Black it would have reflected more light:jester:

• Funny 3

Despite the stygian gloom and the random appearance of bursts of electricity we didn't have a bad weekend round the back.  What made me feel old was asking Jamie to couple up a 3 link wagon, watching him struggle a little, thinking 'it's not just me, then'..... then realising he'd done it in the semi-darkness without using the light on the coupler. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

You think you have problems Jonathon,I struggle with 7 mm ones. Tried to say hello on Sunday morning but you were busy helping 3279 repair the entrance to the North end fiddle yard and then you disappeared . I was not going to mention Middlesborough FC, I promise.

Spoke to Boss man Graham and knocked 3 wagons of the track in the fiddle yard, offered to put them back on,until he mentioned 3 link couplings and left him to sort out my mess. 

Regards,Derek.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning Derek,

I did catch a glimpse of you, but I urgently needed to speak to a man about a dog.  When I came back you'd moved on (or round). 

Sorting out other people's mess must have been Graeme's morning - it was me who demolished his screen round the loco store just as you arrived.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I obviously don't need to go to that revoltingly over-advertised high street shoptician, since (despite being forty-seventeen) I managed, with difficulty, complaint and outright profanity at times, to couple up 3-links in the abysmal lighting conditions.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

I obviously don't need to go to that revoltingly over-advertised high street shoptician, since (despite being forty-seventeen) I managed, with difficulty, complaint and outright profanity at times, to couple up 3-links in the abysmal lighting conditions.

Hands like a surgeon (often covered in blood) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, jwealleans said:

What made me feel old was asking Jamie to couple up a 3 link wagon, watching him struggle a little, thinking 'it's not just me, then'..... then realising he'd done it in the semi-darkness without using the light on the coupler. 

It’s only cos I was too thick to realise that there was a torch until after I’d coupled it up.:banghead:

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Mrs. W, who provided tea, cake and occasional assistance all weekend, has passed me some more pictures she took on Sunday morning.

IW-Grantham-Spalding-small-4.jpg

Shedmaster Baz and I surveying things before the Great Unwashed were admitted.  Sensibly, rather than believing the previous operator's notes, he's checking what's in each shed.

IW-Grantham-Spalding-small-1.jpg

Round the back, visibly after kick off and Red Leader is homing in on the source of the electrical gremlin.   We must be at or in the run up to Move 9 3/4 here as the Stirling Single is absent from the Nottingham yard.  The Ambergate trip working (4 wagons) is ready to go alongside the much larger coal and Iron Ore empty workings.  In the main yard the Mallard Test train is ready and the set which forms the Junior Scotsman has been reversed and is awaiting a run to Glasgow (I think).   Edit - that' nonsense, it's an Up train.  It must be Glasgow - KX.

IW-Grantham-Spalding-small-2.jpg

Examination is becoming more intense.  From here you can see 6246 on the coal empties with 2393, 2437 and 3416 awaiting their turn.  Teak Set 5 is in it's starting formation (note the RF and BFK at the rear, that's the giveaway, which means the 13:40 KX - York and Ripon.  Next to it the Scotch Goods, the handover road and then Set 4, which has clearly been to Scarborough and is now ready to go to Newcastle. 

IW-Grantham-Spalding-small-3.jpg

View from opposite my station.  6246 is a weathered Bachmann O4 and mine.  2437 is Roy's work, Heljan I believe, and 3416 behind is mine, bought built and refurbished.  I bought it from Neil Ripley, but I don't know whether he built it.  The magnificent 2393 is Mr. King's work.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Mrs. W, who provided tea, cake and occasional assistance all weekend, has passed me some more pictures she took on Sunday morning.

IW-Grantham-Spalding-small-4.jpg

Shedmaster Baz and I surveying things before the Great Unwashed were admitted.  Sensibly, rather than believing the previous operator's notes, he's checking what's in each shed.

IW-Grantham-Spalding-small-1.jpg

Round the back, visibly after kick off and Red Leader is homing in on the source of the electrical gremlin.   We must be at or in the run up to Move 9 3/4 here as the Stirling Single is absent from the Nottingham yard.  The Ambergate trip working (4 wagons) is ready to go alongside the much larger coal and Iron Ore empty workings.  In the main yard the Mallard Test train is ready and the set which forms the Junior Scotsman has been reversed and is awaiting a run to Glasgow (I think).   Edit - that' nonsense, it's an Up train.  It must be Glasgow - KX.

IW-Grantham-Spalding-small-2.jpg

Examination is becoming more intense.  From here you can see 6246 on the coal empties with 2393, 2437 and 3416 awaiting their turn.  Teak Set 5 is in it's starting formation (note the RF and BFK at the rear, that's the giveaway, which means the 13:40 KX - York and Ripon.  Next to it the Scotch Goods, the handover road and then Set 4, which has clearly been to Scarborough and is now ready to go to Newcastle. 

IW-Grantham-Spalding-small-3.jpg

View from opposite my station.  6246 is a weathered Bachmann O4 and mine.  2437 is Roy's work, Heljan I believe, and 3416 behind is mine, bought built and refurbished.  I bought it from Neil Ripley, but I don't know whether he built it.  The magnificent 2393 is Mr. King's work.

Hi Jonathan

I left at closing time on Saturday and had been distracting the shed master, I have a little question. Wasn't the previous shed master who's notes Baz is checking the same guy who I was talking to. He talked like Baz, had a distinctive mustache like Baz and answered to the name of Baz. So he is checking what mistakes he had done the day before? Sounds a wise move.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

overnight the elves and pixies played with the layout.. I was never sure on Saturday what was where.. that i show I found out there were no Atlantics on shed, or D2s or D3s......

baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When I was a kid my layout had a hill and tunnel in one corner right up against the walls with a turnout hidden under it.  You could only reach that corner by climbing partially up on to the base board as I had added a plank across the front to get another loop in.  Overnight the "elves and pixies" (my Dad) would sometimes derail something under the hill but the board wasn't strong enough for him to retrieve it. So checking in that hidden space would have been good procedure for me to follow too !

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Barry O said:

I found out there were no Atlantics on shed, or D2s or D3s......

I case of 'the right number of locomotives, but not necessarily of the right classification'.

I usually do a 'loco audit' before start of play on a Sunday - after three or more goes round the schedule, the situation 'drifts' despite all loco 'ins and outs' being planned to create a balance. So part of shedmaster's duties is to look ahead to see what he has available for future workings .. then shout to 'control' to arrange an out-of-course working to redress the balance.

Much like the real railway, in fact ...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Just need to decide QUITE how far to take it in terms of what will actually be seen as the vehicles trundle in and out of the station.

Follow David Jenkinson's rule (I think it was his) - if you can only see it when the coach is derailed and on its side, then leave it off.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Follow David Jenkinson's rule (I think it was his) - if you can only see it when the coach is derailed and on its side, then leave it off.

Yes, indeed.

To be honest, if I hadn't have pointed it out, how many would have spotted that there wasn't any underframe equipment AT ALL in the picture above? Meaning that, if I'd left it as it was or if I fit every single last item, very few would notice the difference. In which case, it's down to the personal satisfaction of the builder ... pitched against all the other things that need doing!

For me, it has to pass the 'square on, 3 feet away' rule (a side elevation if you like). So turnbuckle truss rods, V-hangers / brake cylinders and gas cylinders ... with perhaps a suggestion of brake rigging pointing towards the bogies. That'll do me. And I quite enjoy doing it anyway.:paint:

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great stuff Graham!

I've just started building an articulated triplet from three of Dan's D&S Howlden 6 wheelers (BT, C and T).  Not sure how much undergear I'll put on but I do have a set of Frank Davies extras etches for Howldens.

I then have a couple of twins to do, including a pair of Frank's Dia 146s into a twin and a basic pair of Dan's thirds. Then my ultimate will be the Louth Quad from Nick Easton's etches but all those will have to wait another year or so due to other priorities.

Must go out to the shed to continue the project now.

Happy New Year to all

Andrew

• Like 1

On 28/12/2019 at 01:07, St Enodoc said:

It was David Jenkinson, John,

He once said to me that if the only way you can see the detail on a carriage underframe is if that carriage has derailed, tumbled down an embankment and landed upside down in a cess, then don't build a layout where this happens! 

Another of his wise sayings was (on building a model) 'Get as many pictures of the prototype as you can showing it from 'normal' viewing angles - ends, sides, three quarter, that sort of thing, as if one were an observer - and anything you can see clearly in the pictures, put on to the model. Anything you can't see, even though you might know it's there, don't bother modelling'. There was no greater coach-builder. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1