Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

27 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It was David Jenkinson, John,

He once said to me that if the only way you can see the detail on a carriage underframe is if that carriage has derailed, tumbled down an embankment and landed upside down in a cess, then don't build a layout where this happens! 

Another of his wise sayings was (on building a model) 'Get as many pictures of the prototype as you can showing it from 'normal' viewing angles - ends, sides, three quarter, that sort of thing, as if one were an observer - and anything you can see clearly in the pictures, put on to the model. Anything you can't see, even though you might know it's there, don't bother modelling'. There was no greater coach-builder. 

Regards,

Tony. 

David also ommited interior detail from his exquisite carriages. He once wrote that no one ever noticed. The interior was simply basic partitions painted black.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

And there's still a bit of space on the boards in North Fiddle Yard for a selection of spare or rarely used items of rolling stock when all of the tracks and the loco-crescent are full!

Neatly done.

Heck of a catch point to protect South 5 from wrong-way traffic by the look of it......

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

An old thread here on the subject, featuring some forin railway or other.

Looks like it might be the case that lamps were replaced although for a signal like the one depicted at Grantham South that's an awful lot of walking up and down ladders whilst carrying a not inconsiderable weight in one hand?

Meanwhile, came across this rather interesting news feature from some years ago.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1382095/Welcome-to-Britains-21st-century-railway-where-the-signals-are-still-lit-by-hand.html

Within the text this refers to topping up the oil whilst standing on the ladder? Could it be therefore that there were regional variations? Or, if the lamp was otherwise deemed to be in good condition and working OK then the oil was simply topped up?

More likely that the news hack got the story round 'is neck! Mike's erudite explanation in the highlighted thread probably explains the good and logical reasons why exchanging for a properly filled and adjusted lamp was the right thing to do. No doubt another example of one of those situations where there were rules ... and then there was what actually happened in practice (human factors and all that).

Meanwhile, as a result of two hours carpentry in the chapel, said signal now has its own cossetted carrying box. I'm too good to them, I really am...

• Like 2

Very good to see an item from the Great Humiliation Challenge turned into a decent working model steam wagon. As well as adding the tarpaulin, might it be worth undertaking the onerous task of painting the top of the bright metal "way feeler" grey?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

Is that the Coronation Train, possibly with the observation car on the tail?

Serpently is! Highly likely that the photographer took up position there especially to capture the train. By the time it was up that neck of the woods it would be 'after work' time, half seven in the evening so would need to be a nice evening with good light, Judging by the length of the nameplate, it doesn't look like one of the five 'empire' A4s that were intended for use on the service.

2060297115_Grantham807Coronation.jpg.b4e789b3b8b16a8107acf5a48a040a32.jpg

Here is the train on Grantham (Beaver Tail out of sight) with some not-quite-so-vertigo-inducing signals for the local lampman to attend to. This was the occasion when Tom Rance brought along his Coronation set for photography on the layout, photo courtesy of Tony Wright.

Talking of lamps, we've got better at lamping up the trains since this photo (2016).

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Talking of lamps, we've got better at lamping up the trains since this photo (2016).

I assume you've also made sure every engine has a place to attach the lamps!:jester:

Interestingly, Peregrine was the only A4 never to work one of the Streamliners.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I thought - perhaps wrongly - that they prepared replacement lamps (oil and wicks) on the ground and just went up the ladders to swap them over.

That's what the signal lamp man did at Westerfield Junction nearly 40 years ago, Jonathan.

I was taking pictures there when he arrived (by van), opened the lamp room and then answered my questions. 

Apparently, the lamps have enough fuel to burn for nine days (a bit more), and they were changed once a week on the same day. He was pleased because the very tall Down home had been recently removed (elf 'n' safely!), with just the lower arm remaining (it was co-acting). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Serpently is! Highly likely that the photographer took up position there especially to capture the train. By the time it was up that neck of the woods it would be 'after work' time, half seven in the evening so would need to be a nice evening with good light, Judging by the length of the nameplate, it doesn't look like one of the five 'empire' A4s that were intended for use on the service.

2060297115_Grantham807Coronation.jpg.b4e789b3b8b16a8107acf5a48a040a32.jpg

Here is the train on Grantham (Beaver Tail out of sight) with some not-quite-so-vertigo-inducing signals for the local lampman to attend to. This was the occasion when Tom Rance brought along his Coronation set for photography on the layout, photo courtesy of Tony Wright.

Is it my picture, or have the farther springs on the first articulated bogie collapsed!?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Is it my picture, or have the farther springs on the first articulated bogie collapsed!?

719177404_Grantham805Coronation.jpg.45069722964ed6de6a2084156b30714d.jpg

It's obviously the way you take your pictures, Tony :D

To be fair to Tom (Rance), the set was fresh out of shops and some tweaks were still required.

My, doesn't the yard look a little bare, prior to the ministrations of the ballastmeister?

Do you remember this photo from the same 'shoot'? (Nottingham show)

Grantham 8 10 ROD on freight.jpg

• Like 13

5 hours ago, drmditch said:

If replacing and/or filling the lamps on that gantry seems to have been hazardous, what about the one on Durham Viaduct? 

image.png.4b103eb88a4c5be3a57497ac5bb17ec5.png

WOuldnt that viaduct and the attendant backscene view make one fantastic model railway???  I guess given north of York, it’d have fewer of the named expresses and streamliners to watch though!

Oh, I dunno. You'd still have two out of the three streamliners plus the 'Flying Scotsman'. Add to that the Leeds-Glasgow services (full of interest) and then there was a bewildering array of local routes branching off to the south at Relly Mill junctions. Not to mention all the colliery traffic.

I'd build in a heartbeat!

• Like 2

North of York one could also include the various through services from other railways.

Really Mill bewildering?

Surely not!

There would also be bankers (for Southbound services.)

Somehow I've got to obtain/make an NER Atlantic.

14 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Oh, I dunno. You'd still have two out of the three streamliners plus the 'Flying Scotsman'. Add to that the Leeds-Glasgow services (full of interest) and then there was a bewildering array of local routes branching off to the south at Relly Mill junctions. Not to mention all the colliery traffic.

I'd build in a heartbeat!

You see what attractions you are missing on the other side of the high hills?

Hope everything goes well at Southampton.