Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

Just had to post having seen Grantham in action at Southampton - wow, that's what I call ambitious.  Very well executed by a great team, with the odd snag being swiftly sorted without any noticeable impact on morale.  Particularly liked the flip cards detailing the movements, which largely explained what the loco moves on and off shed were all about.  The only down side for me was 10 minutes listening to a fellow visitor showing off his extensive knowledge of LNER safety valves and boiler bands to the duty shed driver, who was extremely gracious in his responses …...

Well done, chaps!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Well done to all Jonathan,

Why can't the B3 be disclosed?

It's such a beautiful model, it should be!

376433471_GranthamValour01.jpg.0f2999d1fd0aba4c931bbf47c12ee531.jpg

1718212549_GranthamValour02.jpg.29f525ccbe4b466ddfc0aa56db82e434.jpg

It's also on Wright Writes.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

Thanks for these lovely portraits of 6165 on the layout. The second one in particular is a very natural viewpoint.

Any 'embargo' was just a touch of playfulness as its ultimate owner isn't aware that the loco has been through the paint shop and (virtually) ready for delivery. I hope to present it to him in the near future as a 'ta-daa!' unveiling. But as he isn't on RMWeb then I think our secret is safe.

For those not aware, this is how the joint Nicholas-King G-Train Loco works B3 Kit makes up, set off with a top notch paint finish by Ian Rathbone. Just needs cab glass and a couple of handrails refitting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Thank you for the kind comments.   It's interesting to know how far the audience pick up on things going wrong (unless they're an obvious failure).    We always hope our less apparent deviations from the documented sequence are invisible to the average punter.   

Any "deviations" would be completely invisible if you didn't provide us punters with the sequence on the flip boards :scratchhead:- but for me that was crucial information, which made it obvious what you were doing with engine changes, etc., and that you weren't just running trains round at random from the fiddle yard.  Now if you felt like adding station announcements, that would be ……… a bit annoying for adjacent stall-holders, I suspect!

I also thought it was a nice twist that you gave the non-stopping trains (including the fast fish as well as the streamliners, I noticed) two circuits to give us a couple of chances to get a decent look at them.

As to "obvious failures", a 4' x 1' diorama on a single board might be expected to run perfectly after a couple of hundred miles in a van, but the odd derailment, dodgy connection or sticky point on an epic like Grantham is completely excused by the ambition. 

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Chimer said:

I also thought it was a nice twist that you gave the non-stopping trains (including the fast fish as well as the streamliners, I noticed) two circuits to give us a couple of chances to get a decent look at them.

I first saw that trick on the late David Jenkinson's Garsdale Road at a Hemel Hempstead show in about 1971.

• Informative/Useful 1

That last picture's a cracker.   Mallard hurtling past, South End pilot shunting 6 wheelers, Victorian 12 wheel dining car awaiting service, Shotover with ACFI pump waiting to come off shed alongside C2, K3 and K2....  just needs a few more wagons in the yard and it'd be perfect.

It's nice for those of us who live round the back to see what happens under the lights: more, please.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I waited hours for that C2 to move at the Nottingham show a few years ago, as its by far the prettiest loco on the line.

Wretched thing didn't turn a wheel except when I wasn't looking.  Guess I need to sneak up on it without startling it next time...

I think the C2 is elegant, the C1s are like a pug dog..all squeezed up..but then...Jonathan has a beautiful Ex NER Atlantic..which is by far the best looking Atlantic  on the layout

Baz

• Agree 1

if you felt like adding station announcements, that would be ……… a bit annoying

He won't thank me for reminding everyone, but at our second outing, in Grantham itself, there was a complaint from a punter that he couldn't hear the station announcements on an adjacent layout due to the depot operator (Lord Wright of Bytham) talking. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

For the utterly pedantic, the Imminghams (GC class 8F) are not the direct 4-6-0 equivalent of the Atlantics, the true equivalents being just the two 8C 4--6-0s built alongside the first pair of Atlantics. The Imminghams had coupled wheels a little smaller.

An un-named 8F in LNER lined green livery was on duty at Southampton show, just as it is at most Grantham outings.

Even though I'm a fan of at least he Northern parts of the GC (the proper bit that was the original MS&L), I think the appearance of the Jersey Lillies is vastly overrated. The only GC Atlantic I'm likely to ever allow on my own layout will be one of the compounds, not for the sake of their appearance, but purely because they were unusual,  .

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

there was a complaint from a punter that he couldn't hear the station announcements on an adjacent layout due to the depot operator (Lord Wright of Bytham) talking. 

Maybe it’s to drown out the DCC sound diesel TMDs that seem to swamp exhibitions these days, rumbling away all weekend.:senile:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Maybe it’s to drown out the DCC sound diesel TMDs that seem to swamp exhibitions these days, rumbling away all weekend.:senile:

Not if they are near me...i tend to ask them to turn thre volume down..they generally do if they know how to. If they don't..well it has never happened...

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

As I have built a few diesel depot layouts in the past I fully agree about the continuous rumbling. If you ever see my Pig Lane (Western Region) the first thing you will notice is a lack of sound, apart from the Lima Pressed Steel single car.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Jonathan,

On your post (27th Jan) you mention that the Grantham DVD (that I produced a while ago) "has to be reminded to repeat each time".  Some DVD recorders allow you to set it to auto repeat - but if the one being used does not then I can make a "Special Display Only DVD" which should make the (hopefully, any) DVD player go back to the start and play again - without human intervention.  I had to do this with our now infamous Thurston DVD when that was out and about on the exhibition circuit - before it's well earned retirement to a rich man's Suffolk barn a few years ago.

Busy with work at the moment but if this is of interest I'll make you a copy and perhaps give it to you when we next meet and you can see if that removes one more task!

Grantham team - layout's looking great - so many little improvements from when we filmed!!!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Literally asking for a friend.

Is there any evidence of the platform edges being painted white at Grantham in the 20’s to 30’s? The reason is he’s doing a painting and can’t determine if platform edges are lighter stone material, or paint.

• 3 weeks later...

Ref. the discussion on the cleaning, filling and trimming of signal lamps (18 Jan onward, previous page).  First, apologies for being slow on the uptake.  Here's a memo and attachment received at Grantham's Yard Box from the Station Master's office in 1921.  It relates specifically to hand lamps, rather than signal lamps, but given the relevance to Grantham I hope it's of interest.  Of course these are the official instructions - which may or may not have been rigorously followed. 

There's lots more info on signal lamps and their maintenance in GNR days in Michael Vanns An Illustrated History of GNR Signalling, pages 53-55.

John

1200863266_1921-11-26CleaningandTrimmingofHandLampsMR.jpg.e2e0660edae80ab351d8fd5c51c745d8.jpg643865138_1921-11-26CleaningandTrimmingofHandLamps-attachmentMR.jpg.00409f998cf506831f67a930b6f7d181.jpg

Edited by 61070
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Andy,

Sorry, I missed your post.   There's no problem with the DVD, it's the player.  It's the one we used to use in the car and it will auto repeat, but you have to tell it to do so using the remote and remember to do it every time it's started.   I expect it's not used to playing something other than Dora the Explorer and the Transformers - they seemed to go on and on for ever, auto repeat or not.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1