Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Is there a way to get rid of or disguise those sticky-out bits at the front?

Not really - they are rather essential to how the things work!

A vehicle with a front overhang would provide some disguise but also bring its own issues. I could try painting them mid-grey to match the colour of the road surface, that might be worth a try.

At the end of the day I will cheerfully admit to the road system constituting a heavy gimmick factor,  with exhibitions in mind. We're trying to make it as convincing as possible in terms of vehicles going from A to B with a purpose rather than just going round and round in an aimless circle - they do go too fast, especially on fresh batteries!

But most of the time it's about the kids shouting 'look Dad - the cars move!', followed by the Dad pontificating about how it works - and usually getting it completely wrong.

Now that IS entertaining!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

On the other hand ...

image.png.e567c9bfc27d0e7c47c645101a61db2e.png

Find me a kit for one of these and we might be in business ...

(from the following website: http://www.leylandsociety.co.uk/blog/blog0046.htm)

And from the look of the first picture in the link below, we definitely need buses!

http://www.tracksthroughgrantham.uk/recording-the-railway/spotters-corner/how-we-discovered-springfield-road-bridge/

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Drawing lots to see which ones get to sit on the bridge, surely?

27 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

On the other hand ...

image.png.e567c9bfc27d0e7c47c645101a61db2e.png

Find me a kit for one of these and we might be in business ...

(from the following website: http://www.leylandsociety.co.uk/blog/blog0046.htm)

And from the look of the first picture in the link below, we definitely need buses!

http://www.tracksthroughgrantham.uk/recording-the-railway/spotters-corner/how-we-discovered-springfield-road-bridge/

You can have a bus on South Parade, (Spittal), bridge, but none wedged under Springfield or Harlaxton Road, please? :nono:

Looking around Anbrico produced a Whitemetal version of the Leyland Lion in the photo.  ABC models produced a die cast model and Alphagrafix did a cardboard version.  You could always upgrade to a 1938 Tiger TS8, EFE produced one.  

One important point, Lincolnshire Road Car only had a handful of Double Deckers before WW2.  I’d have to check to see if any would have been at Grantham during the layouts time frame.

Paul

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I wonder whether you had considered using one of these old Merit Hobby kits for a Maudslay 1927 ML3 bus? It's obviously not the same as the bus in your picture, but its equally, not too dissimilar.

th.jpg.6282e6d3ce8acaa2d9930d6accc31117.jpg

I am thinking of building one to run on my Faller system.

Tony

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Not really - they are rather essential to how the things work!

Spitballing here; would it be possible to turn the mount around and have the skate behind the axle, under the vehicle? It would then push instead of pull, and be mostly hidden.

I suppose the only concern might be that the front wheels/axle might misbehave?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Jack P said:

Spitballing here; would it be possible to turn the mount around and have the skate behind the axle, under the vehicle? It would then push instead of pull, and be mostly hidden.

I suppose the only concern might be that the front wheels/axle might misbehave?

it is the way it is to get the front wheels to track the wire in the road. Turning it round causes a few problems.. we tried it on the road system on Headingley Tram Depot (and we had artics as well as double decker buses!)

Baz

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

I assume, rightly or wrongly, that the skate for the road system needs to be ahead of its pivot point in order to have the freedom to do the best job of detecting and following the buried wire - but does it need to be physically ahead of the wheels too? Obviously, for the simplest possible mounting, it would be ahead of the wheels and attached to a very simple (and unrealistc) whole axle that steers into the bends. Next simplest would be an arrangement of track rods and steering arms ahead of the wheels, connected to a skate projecting forwards. Might there be a third option of placing the skate between the wheels , largely hidden,  but still in front of its own pivot, connected by links to the steering wheels?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

41 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Obviously, for the simplest possible mounting, it would be ahead of the wheels and attached to a very simple (and unrealistc) whole axle that steers into the bends.

That sounds like a bogie. Could you have a 4-2-2 bus? Maybe you could adapt that nice D class to run on the road?

• Funny 2

I knew it was a bad idea to invite a conversation about buses ...

Thanks for various suggestions and help.

At the end of the day, Grantham is a model RAILWAY, not a model road way! In other words, I'm not going to spent weeks and months getting everything all realistic, to scale etc with the road vehicles when there will always be a list as long as your arm for the railway-related items. The road system will always be cheap and dirty in that respect, just an added feature (gimmick if you like) with exhibition visitors in mind. So long as the road vehicles GO and they're reasonably reliable (ie don't routinely career off the road or run out of power) then I'm with Dr G-F just posted - a bus is a bus (so long as it looks reasonably vintage). The road system was, nonetheless, built in to the layout from the start, as it occurred to me from Day 1 that there were roads close to the railway where road vehicles would be seen running so it seemed like something worth doing, with the vehicles moving about, as I mentioned earlier, with a reasonable degree of purpose. But that's as far as it goes!

I might paint the top of the skates grey though ...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Buses are a bit like GWR locomotives, they all look the same to me.  And they're often green.

:prankster:

... and often on a bridge.

Ours will run over a bridge (and underneath two more) but - hopefully - shouldn't be stationary on one.

• Like 2

I'm not sure where any suggestion of a bogie comes into the things I described.

On a simpler and more manageable level, how hard could it possibly be to build that Merit / Peco Maudslay bus kit with a front entrance instead of rear, a curved fillet piece in the upper corner opposite the half cab, and no luggage rack on the roof? I'm sure that a suitable pair of "Lincolnshire" transfers could be arranged. From public viewing distance I imagine that most would find it hard to tell that it was not the Lincs Road Car Leyland type in the earlier picture.

Edited by gr.king
Inserted missing word
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I'm not sure where any suggestion of a bogie comes into the things I described.

On a simpler and more manageable level, how hard could it possibly be to build that Merit / Peco Maudslay bus kit with a front entrance instead of rear, a curved fillet piece in the upper corner opposite the half cab, and no luggage rack on the roof? I'm sure that suitable pair of "lincolnshire" transfers could be arranged. From public viewing distance I imagine that most would find it hard to tell that it was not the Lincs Road Car Leyland type in the earlier picture.

Ah! But if some puffer nutter can spot the wiggly pipes on an A3 are not correct then a bus spotter will have a apoplectic episode if it is the wrong type of bus. 

• Agree 7
  • Funny 5