Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

18 hours ago, 61070 said:

You were following in the footsteps of members of Grantham Loco MIC, who visited the RH&DR in 1959: http://www.tracksthroughgrantham.uk/railway-life-at-grantham/loco-department-staff/grantham-loco-mutual-improvement-class-day-trip-1959/ 

Yes John . Takes me back a bit . I remember all those chaps on there . 

Regards , Roy .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ROY@34F said:

Yes John . Takes me back a bit . I remember all those chaps on there . 

Regards , Roy .

Thanks very much Roy.  When 'Jock' Michael kindly lent me three of the photos he sent a letter describing the day and saying, wistfully, that he was the only one still around to tell the tale.  Sadly, as we know, Jock too has now gone, but by contributing the story and pictures he's made sure that these Grantham men are not forgotten. 

All the best, John.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

And it's now reappeared ...

DSC01871.JPG.1b83963363de77cf78a3b35617d77d81.JPG

Now having to jostle for position with a certain other developing railway.

DSC01873.JPG.b8f327e26ed98b1f398e61a17fa68b45.JPG

Quite a bit of moving around of other stuff required in order to make space to complete the circuit ...

DSC01874.JPG.a062183ad9f0f36dc4623b663f9f0d8d.JPG

But we managed it  ... somehow.

This really will be the last 'hurrah' for Grantham as a complete layout in its 'home' since 2012 - but perfectly feasible to continue to take on the road to exhibitions for a few more years yet.

You need to build a mezzanine :D

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

That's sad... I feel like I've grown up with Grantham and now it's been relegated by some blooming upstart newcomer!

Yep ... but all things pass and Grantham was a project I started at a certain point in my life with no firm 'end game' in mind. Being on here has been the making of it - no question - due to the fantastic support of all those who have gathered round and contributed so willingly, not to mention those on here like yourself for whom it 'floats yet boat' and offer support in terms of 'likes' and constructive / witty comments alike.

There is a current programme of work ongoing at the moment, both for the immediate target of Leeds show in 3-and-a-bit week's time and also Doncaster show in February.  The plan for the latter is that it will be photo'd and video'd whilst at the show for BRM and that will probably be as 'complete' a record of the layout as there's going to be.

• Like 18

Now then me dearyios ...

In a once off world exclusive, spurred on by our pining, lockdowned antipodean friend Jesse, we are attempting a live interweb streaming thingummy whatsit for this weekend's practice running session.

We're just setting up stock at the moment. If all goes to plan, we'll post a link on here to a Skype call that you can join from approx 1300 onwards should you be so moved (Jesse - you should be able to join now via the usual discussion group).

More soon...

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Now then me dearyios ...

In a once off world exclusive, spurred on by our pining, lockdowned antipodean friend Jesse, we are attempting a live interweb streaming thingummy whatsit for this weekend's practice running session.

We're just setting up stock at the moment. If all goes to plan, we'll post a link on here to a Skype call that you can join from approx 1300 onwards should you be so moved (Jesse - you should be able to join now via the usual discussion group).

More soon...

That will be past my bedtime I'm afraid.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Now then me dearyios ...

More soon...

That sounds like a good way to start the afternoon! Count me in…. 

Now then me dearyios ...

More soon...

Not much running, more talking and Tea drinking. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Not much running, more talking and Tea drinking. 

Should be fine..I can't make today.. Will be causing chaos tomorrow though....

Baz

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Now then me dearyios ...

More soon...

Have you got an ETA for the link?

Frank