Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

This is what we came to see, though - newly installed and working, the light controlling the single-carriageway underpass next to the Ruston works. It really needs a filmed sequence to show what it does, but what it does is work, in that it controls the movement of the road vehicles and stops them colliding.

Ahem:

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It was surprising that we didn't have more problems due to the temperature in the hall. Watching some of the track expanding in the North Fiddle was a wee bit scary.. but, due to the track laying prowess of Red Leader.. all stayed in line.

A great weekend and some nice comments and questions.

Baz

• Like 3

My sons and I enjoyed seeing Grantham. We were there earlyish on Sunday morning and we did enjoy watching the traffic lights change...Thanks to the team for the explanations and good humour!

David

Edited by Clearwater
  • Like 2

Thanks for those Tony (previous page). As usual, the camera takes no prisoners. Must get round to:

- weathering station canopies (well, non-stock weathering in general really)

- ladders and last signal arm on south end of signals (although it was something of a minor mircale that the new south end signal - the concrete one - was up and running at all for the show)

- snip the pips off that south end trap point

- proper girder representation on Springfield Road bridge, plus suitable fencing above

- general shed detritus - not to mention a proper version of the 'new' shed building

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2

I like the traditional sequence flip sheets so the spectators know what is going on. I don't like watching a layout being operated without having a clue what is happening. The trend in recent decades inspired by the Rice "theatrical presentation" philosophy means sequence flip-cards have gone out of fashion but I think they're one of the most useful and helpful things an exhibition layout can have.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for those Tony (previous page). As usual, the camera takes no prisoners. Must get round to:

- weathering station canopies (well, non-stock weathering in general really)

- ladders and last signal arm on south end of signals (although it was something of a minor mircale that the new south end signal - the concrete one - was up and running at all for the show)

- snip the pips off that south end trap point

- proper girder representation on Springfield Road bridge, plus suitable fencing above

- general shed detritus - not to mention a proper version of the 'new' shed building

A gentle weekend's work ahead...

I suspect that being hidden under a lamp shade, as depot operator, would make little difference. Having been out front, at low level, not wearing my usual colours, and hidden by spectators for most of both days, I've already been informed that I wasn't at the show on the Sunday, which news came as a bit of surprise to me.

• Like 1

The standard lamp can save you all that carrying of a layout lighting rig to shows. Any vertically challenged operators can stand on the upturned laundry basket. You can cut down the G-Scale brake van into some kind of bothy probably. The weedkiller spray filled with deoderant can be squirted at the more unwashed spectators... Lots of useful detritus in my shed.

3D print them for the team uniform?

post-34294-0-40808800-1547639442.png

GRANTHAM - THE CHINTZ YEARS

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The standard lamp can save you all that carrying of a layout lighting rig to shows. Any vertically challenged operators can stand on the upturned laundry basket. You can cut down the G-Scale brake van into some kind of bothy probably. The weedkiller spray filled with deoderant can be squirted at the more unwashed spectators... Lots of useful detritus in my shed.

3D print them for the team uniform?

attachicon.gifImage1.png

GRANTHAM - THE CHINTZ YEARS

Wearing that tit-fer that Baz won't need to get a hair cut as no one will see his Barnet.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

I went to the CMRA show last weekend, particularly to see Grantham. I managed to time my two visits to be at the same point in sequence!! However the second time I did get to see the 1938 recreation of the 1888 Flying Scotsman. I took some pictures of Sir Nigel Gresley and the Stirling Single on its restored GN coaches - both trains looked fantastic. I showed them to my Dad today and he remembers seeing the Stirling Single and its train passing through Hadley Wood, where his family used to go and watch the trains at Greenwood Box at the end of the 4 track section. My father was 13 in 1938 and from that period remembers seeing the inaugural run of the Silver Jubilee, Mons Meg as a 2-8-2 at Kings Cross, and also the two P1s on coal trains. Large Atlantics were still common and I think they were his favourite engines.

Unfortunately his mobility is not a great as it used to be - he is now 93. I think it is about time I persuaded him to come to an exhibition to see Grantham. When is expected to exhibited in the south east again? In the mean time how can you purchase a CD?

Paul

• Like 5

post-34294-0-67132300-1547587581_thumb.j

That's my lounge that is…………………... :scared:

You may jest, we've actually got one of those lamp standards and shades in our lounge and it's in daily use!

I think the real heritage item here is the set of kitchen cupboards at the far end. Look '60's to me, if not before. My Dad's house still has its 1959 built kitchen, and these look quite similar.

John.

I went to the CMRA show last weekend, particularly to see Grantham. I managed to time my two visits to be at the same point in sequence!! However the second time I did get to see the 1938 recreation of the 1888 Flying Scotsman. I took some pictures of Sir Nigel Gresley and the Stirling Single on its restored GN coaches - both trains looked fantastic. I showed them to my Dad today and he remembers seeing the Stirling Single and its train passing through Hadley Wood, where his family used to go and watch the trains at Greenwood Box at the end of the 4 track section. My father was 13 in 1938 and from that period remembers seeing the inaugural run of the Silver Jubilee, Mons Meg as a 2-8-2 at Kings Cross, and also the two P1s on coal trains. Large Atlantics were still common and I think they were his favourite engines.

Unfortunately his mobility is not a great as it used to be - he is now 93. I think it is about time I persuaded him to come to an exhibition to see Grantham. When is expected to exhibited in the south east again? In the mean time how can you purchase a CD?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your post; that's a lovely connection with your Dad's memories of pre-war LNER. Makes it all worthwhile when we get comments like that.

Next shows at Spalding (Nov 2019) and Southampton (Jan 2020). Not quite 'south east', but within striking distance perhaps?

I'll PM you re DVD.

Graham

Edited by LNER4479