Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

21 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Thank you, Tony.  The K3 did behave in the main, although when working the coal empties it jibbed at one of the dead frog crossings.  Given I'd only taken it out of the box for the first time on Friday night, stuck the cab on and made a tender coupling, it did well.  I will look at tender pickups as I did intend it to work the coal as well as being cover for the Scotch Goods (although we have two V2s, so that may be overkill).  Yes, it did come from Tom.

Thanks Jonathan,

Apart from the V2 (which I've now sold), all the locos I've built for Grantham (two of which you now own?) have needed tender pick-ups or bogie-pick-ups. Or, in the case of the J69, it's permanently attached to a shunting wagon fitted with pick-ups. 

I know the trackwork decision was taken at an early stage, but dead-frogs always lead to stuttering, stalling running. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Now then, I need to take a note of the current number of followers of this seven year old thread - 207 (good grief!) - because this is the moment at which that number tumbles, never to recover.

Grantham the layout has genuinely been in hibernation since January until just recently ... and 'tis true that the work to build the new Shap fiddle yard has taken priority ... but that doesn't fully explain the relative lack of apparent action overall.

No, I can hold off no longer (well, I can a bit, but wouldn't be much point) - confession time. In the forthcoming second series of the Channel 5 programme 'The Great Model Railway Challenge', look out for ... er ... 'Team Grantham' taking part.

DSC07841_LR.jpg.f97ac1de453b5693fc1187ee114c83e2.jpg

The first series was undoubtedly divisive amongst the model railway community and that was indeed considered before deciding to throw our hat into the ring. But it was the noticeably increased footfall at all shows we attended directly following the showing of the 2018 series, especially families and children, that did it for me. Our involvement in this year's series was fundamentally on the basis of doing our bit to help promote this wonderful hobby of ours.

Yes, it is fundamentally an entertainment programme and there is a degree of gimmickry ... but for us that was merely a chance to showcase the variety and flexibility that is possible with model railway equipment. The facts are that series 1 was a relative ratings success - in today's fiercely competitive environment, Channel 5 were delighted with a peak audience of 1.4million. As a result, series 2 is eight episodes (two more than series 1) and each episode has been extended by 15 minutes,  with a prime Friday evening viewing time, the extra time being used to focus more on the actual modelling.

What is undeniable was that - win or lose - we all had an amazing time and it was an unforgettable experience. The production company personnel were fantastic and there was not the slightest hint of them trying to either ridicule or exaggerate the model railway activities. If I have piqued your interest, then the series starts on Friday 13th September (ie two weeks time); we were in Heat 5, which is due to air on Friday 11th October at 8pm. From what I can tell, the programmes should be available to view on catch up once each episode has aired, for those without direct access to GB TV.

There is a separate thread on the forum for the series where I shall be posting details of our involvement; I shall otherwise look to keep this thread focussed on all things 1930s LNER.

Now - where's that tin helmet and six foot thick concrete wall?

What happened to "tallest on the right, shortest on the left"?

Look forward to finding out whether we can actually watch the series over here - it wasn't possible with series 1.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

ATTENTION EVERYONE!

They've changed the transmission date - Team Grantham's appearance in this year's Great Model Railway Challenge will now air THIS SATURDAY, 5th October at 8pm on Channel 5.

I promise I won't mention it again ... much ... on this thread again.:D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

ATTENTION EVERYONE!

They've changed the transmission date - Team Grantham's appearance in this year's Great Model Railway Challenge will now air THIS SATURDAY, 5th October at 8pm on Channel 5.

I promise I won't mention it again ... much ... on this thread again.:D

How could a convict watch it? 

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Why, on My5 catch up immediately after the programme has aired, of course!

https://www.channel5.com/show/the-great-model-railway-challenge/

Hmm, I opened a My5 account but can't view the videos as they're restricted to the British Isles. As I don't use any of the other platforms I'll have to go without.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/08/2019 at 18:50, LNER4479 said:

Now then, I need to take a note of the current number of followers of this seven year old thread - 207 (good grief!) - because this is the moment at which that number tumbles, never to recover.

Grantham the layout has genuinely been in hibernation since January until just recently ... and 'tis true that the work to build the new Shap fiddle yard has taken priority ... but that doesn't fully explain the relative lack of apparent action overall.

No, I can hold off no longer (well, I can a bit, but wouldn't be much point) - confession time. In the forthcoming second series of the Channel 5 programme 'The Great Model Railway Challenge', look out for ... er ... 'Team Grantham' taking part.

The first series was undoubtedly divisive amongst the model railway community and that was indeed considered before deciding to throw our hat into the ring. But it was the noticeably increased footfall at all shows we attended directly following the showing of the 2018 series, especially families and children, that did it for me. Our involvement in this year's series was fundamentally on the basis of doing our bit to help promote this wonderful hobby of ours.

Yes, it is fundamentally an entertainment programme and there is a degree of gimmickry ... but for us that was merely a chance to showcase the variety and flexibility that is possible with model railway equipment. The facts are that series 1 was a relative ratings success - in today's fiercely competitive environment, Channel 5 were delighted with a peak audience of 1.4million. As a result, series 2 is eight episodes (two more than series 1) and each episode has been extended by 15 minutes,  with a prime Friday evening viewing time, the extra time being used to focus more on the actual modelling.

What is undeniable was that - win or lose - we all had an amazing time and it was an unforgettable experience. The production company personnel were fantastic and there was not the slightest hint of them trying to either ridicule or exaggerate the model railway activities. If I have piqued your interest, then the series starts on Friday 13th September (ie two weeks time); we were in Heat 5, which is due to air on Friday 11th October at 8pm. From what I can tell, the programmes should be available to view on catch up once each episode has aired, for those without direct access to GB TV.

There is a separate thread on the forum for the series where I shall be posting details of our involvement; I shall otherwise look to keep this thread focussed on all things 1930s LNER.

Now - where's that tin helmet and six foot thick concrete wall?

Congratulations, but for the thick amongst us, well just me probably, can you please name names in the pic, as apart from your good self, there is no one there that I recognise.

Cheers in advance.

Slow of Swad.

A.

• Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Congratulations, but for the thick amongst us, well just me probably, can you please name names in the pic, as apart from your good self, there is no one there that I recognise.

Cheers in advance.

Slow of Swad.

A.

Perhaps participation was not to the taste of those you would recognise.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've no desire to set one up.

You could do what I have done in the past and search Youtube, Vimeo and Dailymotion in a few days or weeks, the previous series was copied to those websites - quality varies though.

• Thanks 1

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:50, LNER4479 said:

9 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers in advance.

Slow of Swad.

A.

Certainly! From left-to-right:

Richie Mason - new member of the team, specially recruited for GMRC. Established a name for himself as buildings man

Tom Dewdney - usually to be seen manning South Box at exhibitions. Scenery man, particularly people and animals

YT

Andrew Burchell - usually to be seen on the main control panel. Electrics / electronics guru

Paul Bolton - also usually to be seen manning South Box. Scenery team leader and also no slouch in the buildings department, the Lee & Grinnling Malsters warehouse building being his most distinctive feature on Grantham

And not forgetting ... Harvey! Head of Security (he bites yer ankles)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

May this follower submit humble congratulations!

You not only produced an operable model railway, but also mastered the format (and the producers?)

I was actually concerned (despite all the tacky presentation) to see who won!

I shall have to watch the rest of the series now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, drmditch said:

I shall have to watch the rest of the series now!

You know it makes sense!

Thanks to you and others for congrats so far. More detailed information on our involvement is in the GMRC section of this forum:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/347-great-model-railway-challenge-2019-channel-5-series-2/

I don't mind commenting about our involvement on this thread but I am conscious that there are some non-believers out there who are hoping that this thread stays in the realm of all things 1930s LNER. We should have some real Grantham news shortly in any case as it is now less than 4 weeks to go until our next public appearance, at the Spalding Show, 2nd/3rd November.

Some of us will be wearing our 'Team Grantham' T-shirts with pride, notwithstanding...

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Hey - the next show (Spalding) is almost upon us!

Reason for the last minute-ness is that we've been away on a trip to our favourite Harz mountains.

DSC08962.JPG.24f98b78319ab42035150da6bc201627.JPG

I gather the weather has been a bit changeable here; we had a very agreeable day for our journey up the Brocken mountain.

DSC08974.JPG.17450e3a8c286601d06ef33606d370b7.JPG

Wonder of wonders, clear conditions at the summit station. Generally a 25% chance of that happening. Mind you, was a bit windy up there, as admirably demonstrated by Mrs 4479's grimace. Wernigerode, where we stay, can be seen in the distance to the right of the loco. Overall, the visibility must have been a good 40 miles or more.

And so, as the layout is about to be loaded into the van, I'll leave you with a few previous views of the layout, courtesy of the redoubtable Mr Wright. If you're planning to head Spalding way over the weekend then hope to see you there.

Grantham 15 05 1888 FS (TW).jpg

Grantham 8 17 V2 at north end.jpg

Grantham 7 22.jpg

I'll get some more shots, if I may, please?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Overall, the visibility must have been a good 40 miles or more.

A pilot friend of mine once reported the visibility as a quarter of a million miles. ATC asked him to confirm. "Well, the full moon's just risen right in front of me".

• Like 3
  • Funny 5