Cambrian Progress

RichardJones

I don't envisage any problems, plenty of room to pass even two ducketted luggage vans! No bogie stock will run except maybe an autocoach if I feel like flexing the time period a little, Plus it looks right anyway. I think my loop may be too long now though!

On another matter, the 3d printed casting masters for the Seaham 2-4-0s arrived today, and apparently I can' read my own drawings and have made the boiler 4mm too short! The tanks are OK though, and after cleaning and alteration of the profile to the top valance will be cast in whitemetal to add some much needed weight.

The top arm of the safety valves didn't print for some reason, so will need to fabricate one, hardly challenging though slightly annoying, had I known earlier I could have added it to the etched parts!

post-15796-0-95768900-1348179124_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
11ft centre to centre is (IIRC) the minimum for running lines and equates roughly to a 6ft way (4ft8.5in+2x2.5in rail heads +6ft = 11ft1.5in).

Hi Don,

BS-95R rail heads are 2.3/4" wide. The minimum track centres dimension is therefore 11ft-2in for 6ft way between the rails. That scales to 22.33mm centres in 2mm scale. Templot sets that as the default, so unless Richard changed it it will be correct.

Note that on GWR and BR(W) lines it is 6ft-6in spacing to the gauge faces. This means the minimum track centres are 1/2" wider at 11ft-2.1/2in. (22.42mm).

regards,

Martin.

Only just seen this thread.

Here's a few pics taken about 1981.

Looking towards Llynclys Jcn from the bridge. There used to be a coal siding on the left, now part of the field.

post-6748-0-04174100-1349470256_thumb.jpg

Looking from the bridge over the station. The farmer has dug a trench into which the platform edge was allowed to fall to be buried. Last time I looked (a good few years ago) the right hand boundary was all that remained.

post-6748-0-63036600-1349470213_thumb.jpg

Looking across the fields, the pile of rubble is the remains of the signal box.

post-6748-0-15457300-1349470271_thumb.jpg

At the divergence of the Llanymynech (left) and Llangynog (right) lines.

post-6748-0-98528000-1349470343_thumb.jpg

The road bridge at the station.

post-6748-0-57368900-1349470291_thumb.jpg

A close up of the builder's plate.

post-6748-0-39707600-1349470325_thumb.jpg

The remains of the signal box.

post-6748-0-16745500-1349470821.jpg

Just a couple of hours ago I was watching the excellent B&R video "North of Shrewsbury" that features this line in its last days with class 24 / 25 & 31's. The end of the line on the video was the above bridge with its internal supports. Shame to see it so derelict and I hope it can one day see trains again.

Interesting area, especially Porth Y Waen - crying out for a layout

3743542022_f46f0088cc_o.jpg

Brit15

Here's the point (and the silver mess!)

p1010393.jpg?w=547

Just picked up on this thread, I enjoy building track and your interlaced turnout is fascinating.

I am about to make an interlaced turnout in the next week for a friend for a Highland Railway layout in P4 gauge. His is different in design to yours, in that the first few sleepers from the heel are 12" wide and increase in length up to the end of the switch, then the sleepers revert to standard 10" wide 9' long sleepers.

Before I was told better I would have thought 12" wide full length sleepers would like your example have been used at the common crossing not at the switch end, good to see variations in turnout designs

Some interesting archive views appearing!

Hayfield - the point design is pure guesstimation and compromise, there is no known archive material on the subject, just glimpses of parts of points in photos. I may yet be asking you to build some for me, I have no confidence in my track building whatsoever!

I'm currently off work having done myself an injury photographing local railways so I'm putting that time into my etchings. The above Gloucester Underframe artwork has now been revamped and I've built the first Cambrian Lime wagon test. That had massive issues - brake gear where it shouldn't be and the inner solebars being the wrong size by a mm (and wheelbase being off by 0.5 and therefore not fitting the rest of the overlays!)

More work to do, but that's why we have test etches!

Archived