Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick update on the 14xx to 48xx conversion which was completed recently.

The Martin Finney plates arrived and I set too making up 4863.

1174309789_Collett14xx048small.jpg.7a722748d3d28e5a7a65991955b6f362.jpg

1166364693_Collett14xx051small.jpg.7d0a7dd9c99fdd9012f4d6d3482604df.jpg

140245614_Collett14xx054small.jpg.60eb3ab344cdcc7e0e28e4c93bebabf9.jpg

Lamps, fire irons, DG couplings and real coal in the bunker added.

1668516021_Collett14xx055small.jpg.62c8acda031523e9fa0ac6b82113d051.jpg

414581958_Collett14xx056small.jpg.55b23782dcb3de1814427ad3a048ac0d.jpg

1912279580_Collett14xx057small.jpg.5f8fe470daae9ead0c7382e5b2a28717.jpg

I'm not happy with the DG couplings on this loco. I had difficulty getting a suitable fixing and consequently the couplings project well beyond the buffers. The gap between loco and Autocoach is almost as much as with large tension locks. I'm going to have to have a rethink but it will have to do for now.

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

A small scenic change has taken place at Much Murkle

The West of England Sack store and timber platform has been demolished and replaced by a new loading dock and small yard crane. The reason foir this is twofold. The sack store was only ever intended to be temporary and it's removal opens up the view of the station building and water tower for photographic purposes.

This is how the area looked before on one of the photos taken for Hornby magazine by Trevor Jones.

1518246830_MRG-Pix712-05-06_185746_MB_R5_S3.jpg.cbc2dc2df90e84ec9844f7eaffebc43a.jpg

This is how it looks now

401_311228_060000000.jpg.fab9ce7dd99ec364fd47a69ce7c8346c.jpg

You can see the difference between a professional lighting rig and just using the layout lighting !!!!

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

A small but very significant improvement......definitely worth the effort

Not sure I agree with you about the lighting.....to my mind the first shot is rather harsh and a bit flat.......the second shot seems warmer and softer

Kind Regards

• Like 1

A small but very significant improvement......definitely worth the effort

Not sure I agree with you about the lighting.....to my mind the first shot is rather harsh and a bit flat.......the second shot seems warmer and softer

Kind Regards

You beat me to it by a nano-second, John. Woody's lighting makes it seem more 'branch-liney'.......[No, I haven't been overdoing the RLW...]

Doug

• RMweb Gold

You are not the first to say that the professional lighting is lacking in atmosphere, I think I would put it. There is no doubt it brings out the detail better but it is a bit clinical I agree. I'm not sure that makes mine any better though.

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Nick.Can you tell me the origins of the LMS and NE vans please.Its something I need to address on my GW layout too.

Hi Rob

It is quite a while since I built these kits. I've checked but neither have the makers name on the mouldings. I'm sure that the NE van is a Three Aitch kit, long out of production but may turn up on Ebay. I think I'm correct in saying the LMS van is a Ratio kit and should be still available.

Thanks to everyone else for all the likes.

Edited by nickwood

• RMweb Gold

What a delight, Nick!

The cameo with Jack Collins and Marjorie Edwards works extremely well. Partly because they are good figures, but especially because you have positioned them just right, I think. I wonder if there is something going on between the two? Or maybe they are just discussing penguins.

Very nice to see some goods stock too. I like weathering on the Loco Coal, very effective.

Edited by Mikkel

I love this Nick, I lived just outside Newent until 1970, I can vaguely remember seeing a 48xx pulling a train whilst I was in an ambulance travelling from Ledbury to hereford after my tonil operation went badly wrong.

As Army cadets in the late 60's we used to patrol the station area in Newent and also the disused railway track. I was part of a Bren Gun Team, others would be armed with 303 and SMG. I cannot imagine 12 - 13 year old boys being allowed on the streets now with proper rifles (albeit no ammo) training to to defend a disused railway station

• Like 1

I remember being an army cadet at school. The lasting memory was how heavy those ancient old 303s were! Perhaps a couple of Boy Scouts on a reconnaissance mission around Much Murkle station then? No, I can't imagine that scenario being allowed nowadays - far too much paranoia in your breakfast cereal unfortunately.

Very nice Nick.Can you tell me the origins of the LMS and NE vans please

I don't know if it is the same diagram, but Parkside do several LNER box vans that look similar

Nick, very happy to see what's been going on (and I like the changes.)  As ever MM is delightful. And I knew you would make a good job of the coal wagon.

Regarding the couplings I would suggest that as loco and coach are going to spend most of their working life together they don't need D&G's. Scale could go on front with a drawbar between loco and coach, perhaps?

Best wishes,

Edited by john flann

Hi, Woody,

Having recently re-read my Wallingford Branch [Paul Karau] book, MM would equally well re-enact a W'ford cameo, where the locomotive [in the W' case a 14XX or 517] would be spotted immediately next to the cross-over/run round turnout so that coal could be shovelled directly from the loco coal wagon into the loco bunker.....

Doug

Edited by Chubber

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very nice Nick.Can you tell me the origins of the LMS and NE vans please.Its something I need to address on my GW layout too.

Rob, take a look at the offerings from Parkside and Cambrian. Between them you can get a good selection of LNER and LMS vans and opens.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for the contributions.

John, good to hear from you and you are quite right, if the 48xx was going to spend all of its time coupled to the autocoach then it would not need to have the DG's fitted. I would like to be able to use it for other duties ocassionally if possible but if I can't find a better solution to the fixings for the couplings then I may well go with your suggestion and possibly introduce another 14/48xx into the roster.

Doug, good to hear from you too. It would make a nice scene for a photo or two. I'll have to have a look and see if I have some suitable figures to make it work.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I can't believe it is so long since I last posted

On 02/06/2013 at 13:43, john flann said:

Nick, very happy to see what's been going on (and I like the changes.)  As ever MM is delightful. And I knew you would make a good job of the coal wagon.

Regarding the couplings I would suggest that as loco and coach are going to spend most of their working life together they don't need D&G's. Scale could go on front with a drawbar between loco and coach, perhaps?

Best wishes,

John, I decided to take your advice and remove the DG couplings on the loco and coach. I fashioned a piece of bent wire for a new coupling and the results can be seen below. A big improvement in looks even though it now means that they must be used as a running pair. 

266049094_MMAug2013001small.jpg.ef024e1fc10dbaf4acbe8be07d9a48de.jpg

1084296782_MMAug2013002small.jpg.9bd54508e9a669a16145e9ea312a2f8a.jpg

1447590261_MMAug2013003small.jpg.dcf1a12254daf3df0e58ffb5ca51ae6b.jpg

796039006_MMAug2013004small.jpg.7145d8eb9562e501cbf79f5ec2106ba3.jpg

The photos do show up that I haven't refixed the roof on the Autocoach properly 🤫

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to be away for a few weeks and won't be able to look in much so I thought I'd leave you with a little story.....

It's the middle of a beautiful Tuesday morning at Much Murkle. Local farmer, Clarence Fencott's is returning a prize Herefordshire bull that he's borrrowed from another herd in Ledbury. Henry (that's the bull's name) is taking a drink while he waits in the cattle dock for his transport.

1076539686_MMAug2013005small.jpg.7985ba3c9e375e8a5d254da3cc74dbb3.jpg

Meanwhile, his lady friends are wondering if he'll be like many males and disappear for good having had his wicked way with them all.

2054428585_MMAug2013010small.jpg.dd620799c6ff3d85273aa37f695a8da8.jpg

Their thoughts are disturbed as the 10.51 from Hereford coasts along the branch into Much Murkle station confines1763963705_MMAug2013006small.jpg.d0987d02bd722b0c01e26b0e9e2024fa.jpg

Could that be Henry's transport coupled behind?

1382107686_MMAug2013007small.jpg.1a33a43a1517ba4630740fb458c21aa0.jpg

The train draws to a halt at Much Murkle station where Jack and Marjorie are once again found chatting away. The village gossips tongues will be wagging if they continue to be seen together so often.  

1211947281_MMAug2013008small.jpg.f36a9d860bebf72f12c1b45cc364a414.jpg

The Prairie shunts the horse box to the cattle dock where Henry looks at with distain.

1325274916_MMAug2013009small.jpg.520f67c8db81e8702e64b11b54d165c3.jpg

Hmmm, thinks Henry, they could at least have brought a Luxury Beetle Cattle Wagon to take me home, are they seriously expecting me to get into that cramped, smelly horse box.

Will Henry be sensi-bull and get aboard?
or will he be horri-bull and refuse?
could there be terri-bull consequences?
or is it just a laugha-bull situation?

To be continued........... when I get back

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 19

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thank you very much everyone for the likes. As this is my first foray into weathering locos I am hoping for a bit of feedback to see if I have overdone things, not done enough or got it about right. Would I be better off using a seperate thread to do this?

Nick, I hadn't seen this when I responded to your post on "Hintock', as ever you have that masterly yet light touch.

I like it, my only comment would be to go easy on the brown. It maybe me, but I think it gets overdone.

And as regards on an another thread, I never get around to looking at those. But again that's just me.

And as I said elsewhere enjoy the show.  

• Like 1

Nick, I hadn't seen this when I responded to your post on "Hintock', as ever you have that masterly yet light touch.

I like it, my only comment would be to go easy on the brown. It maybe me, but I think it gets overdone.

And as regards on an another thread, I never get around to looking at those. But again that's just me.

And as I said elsewhere enjoy the show.  

I think there is just about enough 'brown', but perhaps a smidgin' more 'oily looking' low down. Hi, John, nice spread in September's RM, by the way.

Doug