Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

That is useful,can also fill the little holes on the cab front easily when cab taken off,Can you tell me where you got the crew,I have checked master piece models,

But just got the o gauge models on that,Thankyou Garry

• RMweb Gold

That is useful,can also fill the little holes on the cab front easily when cab taken off,Can you tell me where you got the crew,I have checked master piece models,

But just got the o gauge models on that,Thankyou Garry

High Garry, yes the holes could be filled in more easily with the cab off.

Regarding the crew, they are labelled MasterPiece but are actually made by Falcon Figures, not to be confused by an American company of the same name who do fantasy figures. The guy who makes them attends some exhibitions in the south but does not have a web presence. The address is Falcon Figures, 28 Chiltley Lane, Liphook, Hants, GU30 7HJ  Tel 01428 727341.  I don't know but he might have a catalogue he can send. He does his figures painted and unpainted in 4mm and 7mm.

The cat no for the 14xx is FF119

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the crew, they are labelled MasterPiece but are actually made by Falcon Figures, not to be confused by an American company of the same name who do fantasy figures. The guy who makes them attends some exhibitions in the south but does not have a web presence. The address is Falcon Figures, 28 Chiltley Lane, Liphook, Hants, GU30 7HJ  Tel 01428 727341.  I don't know but he might have a catalogue he can send. He does his figures painted and unpainted in 4mm and 7mm.

The cat no for the 14xx is FF119

Thanks Nick.He does do a catalogue and I have one if anyone needs more information.The current prices are £4 unpainted, £8 painted plus 10 % postage.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick.He does do a catalogue and I have one if anyone needs more information.The current prices are £4 unpainted, £8 painted plus 10 % postage.

Robin

If you are coming to Leamington, is there any chance you could copy it for me, or scan it and email ?

Cheers

Edited by nickwood

• RMweb Gold

Robin

If you are coming to Leamington, is there any chance you could copy it for me, or scan it and email ?

Cheers

Of course,I'll scan it and bring you a copy before you let me examine the 48xx up close and personal. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Made a start on it today, following the instructions included with the loco. First thing they tell you to do is to remove the coal load. Interestingly they don't say how it is to be removed. I pondered for a while and then noticed a small hole behind the bunker lamp iron, poked the end of a cocktail stick in and out it popped. There are two screws inside the bunker to be removed, then it says to remove the whistle and the whistle guard if the model has one. Mine doesn't so I tried to remove the whistles and it was obvious they were going to break so I stopped. It turns out they DO NOT need to be removed but if the model has the whistle guard then they may be fixed differently. You then need to remove the handrail that runs from the roof down the cab side. The cab just then slides up and off. Easy peasy until I suspect it comes to putting the two screws back.

Does it include instructions to get the cab off?

Hi Nick

All the magazine states take the whistle guard and the cab hand rail off and undo 2 screws nothing about popping the coal out typical of this Mag' only half of the info', what did surprised me was plastic coupling

rods I can't see them lasting long on a heavily used loco and the chewed wire sticking out of the top of cab handrail knobs I hope yours is not like it or some very delicate work will be required to rectify it.

Edited by 81C

Hi Nick

All the magazine states take the whistle guard and the cab hand rail off and undo 2 screws nothing about popping the coal out typical of this Mag' only half of the info', what did surprised me was plastic coupling

rods I can't see them lasting long on a heavily used loco and the chewed wire sticking out of the top of cab handrail knobs I hope yours is not like it or some very delicate work will be required to rectify it.

Didn't Coachmann post that they coupling rods are not plastic- they are silver painted metal?

• RMweb Gold

Didn't Coachmann post that they coupling rods are not plastic- they are silver painted metal?

I don't know about Coachmann's post I quoted what was printed in the Hornby Mag so your guess is as good as mine if you don't own one like me perhaps another member might like to comment.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing the information on the figures is great. I hope to be at the London show for a closer look 

Regards Mark

Look forward to seeing you. We will be next to Canada Street so you can have a quiet look at Much Murkle while waiting for a spot at their barrier :no:

Hi Nick

A far as I can tell the coupling rod is painted metal and I have no obvious wire sticking out of the top of the cab handrails. I have a good runner too, so with all these faults everyone else seems to have, ain't I a lucky chappy. :sungum:

Seems right to me.

• RMweb Gold

The weathering of the 48xx has been done ready for Leamington and Warwick show this weekend.

Overall I was aiming at a fairly clean and cared for loco as it would only be a few years old at the time period Much Murkle is set in (mid 30's). I have tried to keep the areas around the cab and tank sides clean(ish), but as with all steamers once they have been in service a while the other areas will be getting grubby and soot laden.

41958782_482548-14xx017small.jpg.6796cb3f817816a76ba194c0db842d7d.jpg

The axle boxes are kept well oiled but the areas around the springs and sandboxes would be showing signs of corrosion. This shot in particular shows up one of the main criticisms of this model, i.e. the lack of an ashpan. If I hadn't been getting it ready for the Leamington Show this weekend I would have tried to do something about it. It is in mind to correct soon though.

1428169606_482548-14xx020small.jpg.d54fa3cf1282b1a14d36b4c07b792866.jpg

Always plenty of brake dust evident and the start of corrosion corrosion on the steps and elsewhere.

402228620_482548-14xx024small.jpg.f35a8227d3cda00a3ae664bf166d8daf.jpg

The bunker area would rapidly corrode as paint got chipped quickly by the coal being loaded. Coal is also a very corrosive mineral.

204136806_482548-14xx026small.jpg.81ecd1b71f32593963c3e56e5d6a7e81.jpg

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks Robin, it's particularly pleasing for an individual like me to view those images as I cannot visit exhibitions and see MM for real.

They also show how accomplished a craftsman, Nick is.  .

• RMweb Gold

Speechless.. I need to see this layout in the flesh again. That 14xx is quite smart, as is your autocoach. I'd be tempted by a 48xx if I hadn't just already spent too much!

Edited by sjrixon

• RMweb Gold

I saw Much Murkle for the first time today.  Fabulous!

I'd have said hello Nick but you seemed to be concentrating hard on the operation and had drawn a crowd.

Easily the most entertaining layout there today and some great modelling (even the cow pats).

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the great photos Robin, good to see you yesterday. We had a fantastic weekend at Leamington which was a well organised show despite the enforced rambling nature of the venue. We received many really nice comments about Much Murkle. If you are reading this and are one of those people who did so, then thanks, it is appreciated.

We were in a small college classroom with just Talyllyn Railway Society stand for company but had lots of footfall to our room throughout the weekend. Because it was so cosy everyone seemed to stay watching for much longer than at other shows. Sometimes we had in excess of a dozen people watching and you could hear a pin drop, everyone was concentrating so much on what was happening. quite surreal when we are used to the hub-bub of exhibition halls.

Roll on Alexandra Palace in three weeks time. 

• Like 5

Thanks for all the great photos Robin, good to see you yesterday. We had a fantastic weekend at Leamington which was a well organised show despite the enforced rambling nature of the venue. We received many really nice comments about Much Murkle. If you are reading this and are one of those people who did so, then thanks, it is appreciated.

We were in a small college classroom with just Talyllyn Railway Society stand for company but had lots of footfall to our room throughout the weekend. Because it was so cosy everyone seemed to stay watching for much longer than at other shows. Sometimes we had in excess of a dozen people watching and you could hear a pin drop, everyone was concentrating so much on what was happening. quite surreal when we are used to the hub-bub of exhibition halls.

Roll on Alexandra Palace in three weeks time. 

Nick -well derserved comments and feedback on the layout and exhibition- clearly people know quality when they see it. The automatic coupling and flawless running does you credit and must also help with the enjoyment for the operators and the customers.

As John Flann has said above- nice to see wonderful photos when we cannot all just 'fly' over for the weekend!

regards Andy R

• RMweb Premium

I think the setting suited the layout well, a quiet setting for a rural layout.if it had been in a larger open space, the discrete sound effects probably wouldn't have worked so well.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

I think the setting suited the layout well, a quiet setting for a rural layout.if it had been in a larger open space, the discrete sound effects probably wouldn't have worked so well.

Adrian

We've used the sound effects for about around 8 shows now and they've always gone down well, but I have to agree Adrian, in the setting at Leamington they were much more effective.  

• RMweb Gold

An update on this info is they're now £10 a pair painted and the one suggested for the 14xx/48xx is FF119.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Much Murkle is prepared and ready for the journey to Alexandra Palace for the London Festival of Railway Modelling. Just waiting for the van to arrive so that we can load up and get on our way.

Hope to see and get to chat with lots of RMwebbers over the weekend. Hopefully we will provide a small distraction to the throngs around the other great layouts in our immediate vicinity, Canada Street, Leysdown Eaton Gomery, Hope under Dinmore and Towcester.

• Like 6