Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick

Nice to say hello and thanks for your recent help.

Great layout and definitely in my top ten best ever layouts

Have a great day tomorrow

Happy Modelling

Eltel

Just curious about the push pull set you had running on the Saturday. Is the brake/cab end coach you have running on the set a conversion of one of the old Hornby/Triang clerestory coaches or is it a kit built coach? I presume the second coach of the set is a kit. I should have asked at the time I know but you all looked rather busy with running the layout.

post-5014-0-52120000-1490531018_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Just curious about the push pull set you had running on the Saturday. Is the brake/cab end coach you have running on the set a conversion of one of the old Hornby/Triang clerestory coaches or is it a kit built coach? I presume the second coach of the set is a kit. I should have asked at the time I know but you all looked rather busy with running the layout.

Not so busy that we couldn't spare a moment to talk. You never know, you may even have got  sensible answer! :-)

• RMweb Gold

As Mick says, we are always happy to be asked questions. The best explanation I can give is to refer you to the thread I posted on how the set was built here at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89453-kitbashing-a-gwr-clifton-downs-auto-set/

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to everyone who has commented positively about Much Murkle here and at the show. We had a great weekend and spoke to many people about various aspects of the layout. Couplings seemed to be the thing that intrigued the most people and I lost count of how many we sent towards Wizard Models to enquire about DG couplers.

As Mick says, we are always happy to be asked questions. The best explanation I can give is to refer you to the thread I posted on how the set was built here at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89453-kitbashing-a-gwr-clifton-downs-auto-set/

That's perfect, many thanks for the link and I'll have to look in my collection of MRC magazines for May 79

• RMweb Gold

That's perfect, many thanks for the link and I'll have to look in my collection of MRC magazines for May 79

If you don't find it them send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a scanned copy.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see your layout again at the weekend Nick. Didn't say hello as you looked really busy!

I have to say it was one of the best there.

Mike

We're never too busy to say hello Mike.

Hi Nick

It was good to catch up with you and Much Murkle on Sunday. As always the layout looked, and behaved, wonderfully. You've done a great job on the 14xx, Thanks for the recommendation, it's definitely going on the to get list for Salcombe Harbour. I also hope to get on a bit more with the layout after your encouragement, many thanks.

Keep up the great work.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy, sorry I couldn't place you at first, but it had been a while since we last spoke. I do hope that you get your mojo back as the work you have done on Salcombe Harbour so far is superb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Nick

Just downloaded the latest Great Layouts book (Vol 2) by Hornby mag and see that Much Murkle featured halfway through. Great to see it in there and have loved seeing all the pics from your latest two outings on this thread. Definitely worthy of the moniker "Great Layout"!

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick

Just downloaded the latest Great Layouts book (Vol 2) by Hornby mag and see that Much Murkle featured halfway through. Great to see it in there and have loved seeing all the pics from your latest two outings on this thread. Definitely worthy of the moniker "Great Layout"!

Cheers

Tony

That's the first I've heard about it, nice of Hornby Magazine to let me know :scratchhead:

I shall now have to go to the newsagents to have a look.

MM has changed so much since Trevor Jones photographed it for Hornby Magazine in 2012. There have been many improvements to the buildings, scenic details and weathering and it makes for interesting comparison between Trevor's photos and those Andy Y took for publication in BRM in 2015. The earlier Hornby photos look very sterile in my view, partly perhaps because of the stage of MM's evolution and partly the photo techniques used. Andy's seem to me to be much more atmospheric.

Edited by nickwood

Nick, a worthy cause to support.

In my late wife's latter years she was dependent on a wheelchair to get around. It's very difficult, not least for the disabled and anything "flat" is so very helpful.

I wish you and the Society success in the day.