Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Alex and the Michelover group for having the Much Murkle team. We had a thoroughly good weekend with lots of friendly people. It was very busy on Saturday but much more relaxed today. 

The venue at Derby Rounhouse is one of the best we have been to, very interesting and very atmospheric. We had lots of positive comments about Much Murkle and interest in taking it further (much further) north in the future.

After a 2 1/2 hour journey home Much Murkle is now tucked up in the garage and I'm relaxing with a dram or two.

The next show isn't until October and I'm intending to use the time on tackling a few projects that I've had in mind for a while.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

An unashamed plug for my new blog documenting my preparations for demonstrating scenic techniques at the forthcoming Great British Model Railway Show in November.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, nickwood said:

Much Murkle has now done 33 shows and over the Xmas break I had been toying with the idea of retiring it from the exhibition circuit at the end of 2020. I was feeling that perhaps most exhibition goers, especially in the South and Midlands would have seen it at least twice by now. I took the opportunity at the Alton Show this last weekend to take more notice of comments made about MM by visitors to the show and this has changed my mind somewhat.

I think I've seen it twice, but it is one of those layouts that I'd be happy to see several more times.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

I think I've managed to miss this layout, repeatedly, somehow. I attend a good number of shows within an hours travel from Basingstoke area but I didn't get to Newbury (holiday) or Alton (kids birthday party) this year. Maybe Epsom is a chance, assuming nothing crops up. I look forward to, hopefully, seeing it sometime...

• RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2020 at 21:54, richbrummitt said:

I think I've managed to miss this layout, repeatedly, somehow. I attend a good number of shows within an hours travel from Basingstoke area but I didn't get to Newbury (holiday) or Alton (kids birthday party) this year. Maybe Epsom is a chance, assuming nothing crops up. I look forward to, hopefully, seeing it sometime...

It's a shame you haven't been able to see it at Basingstoke. I only live 20 miles away but have never been invited to their show :sad_mini:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, nickwood said:

It's a shame you haven't been able to see it at Basingstoke. I only live 20 miles away but have never been invited to their show :sad_mini:

"A foreigner in his own land" so to speak.:o

BTW following your two excellent rounds of cassette building reported here, my thanks as I've built my own set drawing on some very helpful ideas. Nothing as robust as your "roadworthy" sets but the input was most helpful all the same.

Colin

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

31 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Hello.

:unsure:If I bet a tenner that there was one person on RMweb that would post that, it would be you.

By the way you don’t count as you’ll be behind the layout doing what you’re told. :P

• Funny 3

32 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Correction. I'll be behind the layout doing it properly. :taunt:

Hi Nick and Mick,

I will be attending the MK Show on Saturday, so though only a recent follower of Much Murkle, I will drop by for a chat.

Although my Western modelling is much later, ( early 60s onward) I always find something to think about for "Lower Thames Yard" by looking at earlier GWR times in models!

Best regards

Paul

12 hours ago, nickwood said:

By the way you don’t count as you’ll be behind the layout doing what you’re told. :P

And not sending something out of the fiddleyard and derailing it before being told!!! :D:D I wonder who that was???

Edited by Benbow
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Nick and Mick,

I will be attending the MK Show on Saturday, so though only a recent follower of Much Murkle, I will drop by for a chat.

Although my Western modelling is much later, ( early 60s onward) I always find something to think about for "Lower Thames Yard" by looking at earlier GWR times in models!

Best regards

Paul

We look forward to meeting you Paul. How will we recognise you, will you be the one stooping to get a look under the fascia? :D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nickwood said:

We look forward to meeting you Paul. How will we recognise you, will you be the one stooping to get a look under the fascia? :D

I will just make myself known to one of you!

I may have a quick look in the morning and then come back after lunch when the crowds have gone.

Just hoping the predicted rain stays away, still its not too far to the bus stop (I don't drive!)

See you on Saturday

Cheers

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Liam_uk said:

recently found the Much Murkle thread.

Got to say this is the layout I am looking forward to seeing at the weekend.

Will be at Milton Keynes with another layout, so will probably be over several times.

Which Layout will you be with Liam?

Cheers

Paul

I saw Much Murkle yesterday, for the first time, at Milton Keynes.

I can't believe I've missed it before and not found this thread until now - I've got some catching up to do.

I spent a good portion of the afternoon watching operations and have to say how much I enjoyed it and the quality of the modelling.

• Thanks 1