Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

• RMweb Gold

Did you mention what type of lighting you would be using?

I favour LEDs (I use these on my layout) - http://www.ebay.com....#ht_3694wt_1141

Blindingly bright - don't operate this layout from the back with these lights!

I do operate from the back of the layout. I've ordered 30W T4 Triphosphor Fluorescents which link together. One over each board. I may supplement these with clip on spots if i find it necessary but we'll see.

Have you seen this little bit of light reading? (LOL)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent-lamp_formats :O

I have special daylight-corrected triphosphor lighting in my workroom. The fluoro output is softer but clean (accurate for colour matching), the LED strip is much more intense but pure daylight colour (5500-6000K). Both sources need shielding from direct eye contact in my opinion. Be careful of the high UV output of tubes - it can affect the colour-fastness of some materials.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been slowly (very slowly actually) beavering away on the fiddle yard extension which has to be completed before I can finish the fascias and lighting.

I had thoughts that I could have a small frontal display area on the extension to the fiddle yard, when I built the frame I decided it was just too small to be of any real use for a meaningful display. I've therefore decided to enclose the extension at the front and use the space for the fiddle yard operator (me) to keep a couple of spare loco cassettes and a cup of coffee small.gif

The extension is now complete and the front fascia is nearly there. I've still to start the end fascia boards but I have made a start on the lighting battens. I haven't taken any photos of this work so far but will post something up to show progress soon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I haven't taken any photos of this work so far but will post something up to show progress soon.

Maybe not quite as soon as I thought as my iMac hard drive has decided to play up and it's being picked up for repair in the morning. Will be at least a week before I can post any pics as I'll be struggling with my iphone for internet access until then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well the long awaited fascia and lighting is finally done and some photos taken. Apologies for the harsh lighting and shadows but these were taken tonight with some extra halogen workshop lighting supplementing the normal garage lights. The layout lighting is not switched on. Here's an overall shot before I go into detail.

968579500_Fascia015small.jpg.4f0d46668e1f43b1df5efa59e3f13b3a.jpg

1342545651_Fascia014small.jpg.c3f80bb50272f21035fa9f4207228867.jpg

I've shown how the front fascias clip over the supports earlier in the thread but here's how I have supported each of the end fascias. The corner uses a hinge with the original pin removed and a new smaller diameter drop in pin used to keep things together and aligned.

1526291006_Fascia017small.jpg.99f48d811aaab4fe36f4500db9b1070c.jpg

The lighting bracket is extended and a magnetic catch used to stop things flapping around.

1126807817_Fascia016small.jpg.e2118b90c1e073485b2d297f4d67703d.jpg

The front fascia boards are aligned and held together with a hinge and drop pin as well

1488042221_Fascia019small.jpg.90e9009aee889527ce20da1be4e2df10.jpg

The T4 linked strip lighting is mounted on timber bearers that slot into the support brackets. This can be seen a bit more clearly two photos above. the timber bearers also shield the operators eyes.

1488042221_Fascia019small.jpg.90e9009aee889527ce20da1be4e2df10.jpg

A view of the front of the extended fiddle yard board

2056623776_Fascia020small.jpg.e274523af8d510a9d64bf8f937675f29.jpg

and from the operating side. It may not be much extra space but it will be so much more easy to operate having somewhere to detach and move the loco cassettes without having to remove them from the layout.

623775099_Fascia021small.jpg.9d932f1a41c69e5bf49baa55096e91e9.jpg

Once I get this little lot painted I can then get on with some proper modelling. :imsohappy:

Fascia 018 small.jpg

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 13

Very neat joinery! But why have the lighting at the back of the layout? This will light the models from behind, and put the sides facing the viewer in the shade. I know from viewing and photographing layouts with lighting from the rear that this is a real problem, detail of models is lost. It would be much better to have fixed the lighting to the back of the fascia at the front of the layout.

• RMweb Gold

Mickey, thanks that is definitely one way of looking at it. :)

Michael, you do have a good point about losing detail in the shadows. The main reason the lighting is at the back is to eliminate shadows on the backsceneas far as possible. I can play around with the positioning and I have been looking for some suitable clip on spot lights for some supplementary lighting at the front. I haven't found anything suitable yet though and may now consider some more T4's.

• Like 1

Great to see the progress you have made Nick, I look forward to seeing it being completed and out on the exhibition circuit some time in the future. With regard to the lighting I can see both points made by Michael and yourself are relevant especially when I look at your last photo where shadows are cast, a tricky one to resolve, hope you get it sorted.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Great to see the progress you have made Nick, I look forward to seeing it being completed and out on the exhibition circuit some time in the future. With regard to the lighting I can see both points made by Michael and yourself are relevant especially when I look at your last photo where shadows are cast, a tricky one to resolve, hope you get it sorted.

Jim

Jim, don't be fooled by the shadows you see in the photos. the layout lighting isn't even switched on. They were taken under the normal garage lighting and two 500W halogen work lamps !! they give some rather harsh lighting and deep shadows.

Edited by nickwood

Good point about shadows. Ian Rice's book on Layout Design had some good ideas about lighting, considering angles and "colour temperature", I think he used flourescents front and rear with spots at the front too! Probably overkill. Floursecent lights give a generally diffused light that doesn't cast strong shadows, and looking at your layout there doesn't appear to be much to cast a shadow on the backscene if the lights are reasonably high up (I'm looking at the line between bottom of backscene and front fascia, and thinking the signal box should be forward of it...!). So I'd probably go for the front option.

Just a thought - I wonder if 45 degree angled mirrors above the backscene would give adequate "wash" from the lights at the front? Hmmmm....

• RMweb Gold

Much Murkle has had it's first exhibition invite.

It will be attending the 2 day show at Andover, Hants in August 2014 it was invited for 2013 but I couldn't make the dates. I'm very excited to get the invite but I'm hoping that I might get one or two more before then as it is a long way off.

• Like 1

Much Murkle has had it's first exhibition invite.

It will be attending the 2 day show at Andover, Hants in August 2014 it was invited for 2013 but I couldn't make the dates. I'm very excited to get the invite but I'm hoping that I might get one or two more before then as it is a long way off.

That's great Nick, I've put it my callender!

Les

• RMweb Gold

What a great layout. Somehow I've missed it completely so far, but there's always something new to discover on RMweb :-)

Everything looks so well built, and the casettes and rack are an inspiration.

Nick, I'm pleased you have those 'invites', I'm sure MM will be well received.

As to the lighting I'm no expert but that which I have you can see in my Hintock post #9. These are CFL's of the highest lumens in spotlights on a track supplemented at the front RH end by two 1000 lumen bright white florescent tubes out front.

I have no problems with shadow's in ordinary use but for photography supplement them with photo floods and a set of halogen work lights.

• RMweb Premium

Like others, I've only just caught up with this. Very pleased I did.

Particularly enjoyed the shunting video, and the cider mill is a nice idea.

Look forward to seeing this at St Barts. :wink_mini:

• RMweb Gold

What a great layout. Somehow I've missed it completely so far, but there's always something new to discover on RMweb :-)

Everything looks so well built, and the casettes and rack are an inspiration.

Thanks Mikkel, I appreciate your comments. I'm pleased with the cassettes, they work well. I try to keep things simple but do take some care with my workmanship. It has the disadvantage of slowing progress sometimes though.

Nick, I'm pleased you have those 'invites', I'm sure MM will be well received.

As to the lighting I'm no expert but that which I have you can see in my Hintock post #9. These are CFL's of the highest lumens in spotlights on a track supplemented at the front RH end by two 1000 lumen bright white florescent tubes out front.

I have no problems with shadow's in ordinary use but for photography supplement them with photo floods and a set of halogen work lights.

Thanks John. I've had a look back at your lighting and it does indeed seem to give a good spread of light to Hintock. I'm not sure that I would live track spots would be practicable for a portable layout though. I think the extra fluorescents I've ordered should do the trick but we'll see. Hopefully they will arrive on friday.

Like others, I've only just caught up with this. Very pleased I did.

Particularly enjoyed the shunting video, and the cider mill is a nice idea.

Look forward to seeing this at St Barts. :wink_mini:

Thanks Cold-ash. You obviously don't live far away from me. As for seeing it at St Barts (Newbury Club's annual show venue) I'm not sure about that. I have approached them but not had a response as yet. Highly unlikely that Much Murkle will be there next February but I should be touting it for 2014.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been a while but I've made some changes to the lighting. I found that just having the fluorescents at the back caused some problems with shadows and loss of detail at the front as some had suggested I might. So I've added another row of the same lighting at the front.

I've always considered that if you want to show your layout off at its best it has to be presented well and an important part of that is good lighting. Hopefully I have now achieved this. You can see the arrangement looking from the end.

868976649_Fascia032.JPG.d1aabd4999daa5d2f7df90b96c9dfc60.JPG

Compare the next shot below taken from the front .....very bright and some shadows cast by the other lights in the garage

718525579_Fascia025.JPG.4d7af8b7ffec5d21673bf356cce2b48a.JPG

with this one with the garage lights turned off.

781208237_Fascia028.JPG.1e54649babf8307eb7fbb370e8afd1d0.JPG

Note that the angled shadows by the bridge and the chimney in the distance that you could see on the backscene in the previous picture have all but disappeared. Also note how well the surrounding area is lit (remember all other lights in the garage are off and it is very dark outside).

I'm very pleased with the result. I now just need to get the fascia painted and I can move on to other things.

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 19