Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

Nick, very well done and very well deserved. Congratulations.

I understand the decision was not by popular vote of the attendees but judged by experienced persons on certain criteria, In other words it won on its merits-not popularity.

Thus all the more reason for being proud of the justly merited award.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More congratulations from across the Atlantic!

Well done indeed. It doesn't seem that long ago that we were all excited about you getting booked for your first show.

It would be fantastic if I were ever to see MM in the UK.....one can always hope.

Kind regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to everyone who has commented and expressed that they liked the outcome, it is appreciated.

JF - It was indeed judged by a panel of the host club's members and I agree it makes it more satisfying.

JD - It actually isn't that long ago, only three years. Much Murkle has now attended 15 shows and is booked for another 9 shows in 2017 and beyond. If you are ever in the UK and can spare the time I would be happy to give you a private viewing. I would have loved it if JF could have found some extra time in his short visit to the UK a couple of months back to come and see it but it was not to be. We did have a very enjoyable couple of hours together at Heathrow before he flew home though.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick, I've just seen the nosebag - wonderful! The whole equine aspect of railways has so much atmosphere, and there's still lots that hasn't been modelled yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick, I've just seen the nosebag - wonderful! The whole equine aspect of railways has so much atmosphere, and there's still lots that hasn't been modelled yet.

Thanks for the reminder Mikkel....I forgot to say how much I admired the horse and nose bag. Totally agree with your remarks about horses and the railways.......they were much in evidence throughout the forties and they were still used, I believe , for shunting in the fifties.

I hope to get to the UK in 2018....so if I can I will try and get in touch with you Nick. Thank you for the offer...much appreciated

Cheers

John

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I see this beauty is down for being at the Leamington show next month.Happy days. :yes:

Hi Robin. Be good to see there and catch up.

Congratulations on the award at Wycrail and I see Much Murkle is down for the London Festival so will look forward to seeing it there.

Thanks, it was a surprise as there were some very worthy layouts attending. The team are really looking forward to MM's first visit inside the M25 and I was chuffed to bits to see that there were 3 of Andy York's photos of MM on the London Festival's promo leaflet.

Edited by nickwood

• RMweb Gold

MM will be coming out of hibernation soon so that I can get everything checked over for Leamington and Warwick show on 4th & 5th March. There will be one or two new items of stock added to the roster and I'm hoping that a little gem will be arriving from Hattons in time for me to be able to change the couplings and add some weathering.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A parcel arrived from Hattons yesterday in the form of a lovely 48xx. It is currently on the rolling road being 'run in'. Hopefully I can find time between now and the Leamington and Warwick show on the weekend of 4th & 5th March to fit the crew, DG couplings and weather it. Otherwise its debut will have to wait until The London Festival at Alexandra Palace later in March.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

You could always still bring it along to Leamington anyway as some of us haven't got theirs yet. ;) Be nice to see one on MM too.

It will be there Robin, but if the couplings haven't been changed it will be running light engine all day :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

It will be there Robin, but if the couplings haven't been changed it will be running light engine all day :locomotive:

Hopefully it will be easier to add a crew to it than the Bachmann 64xx.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Much Murkle has been taken out of its winter hibernation to make sure everything is hunky dory for its first outing of a busy 2017 at Leamington and Warwick show http://lwmrs.co.uk/CMS/index.php/2017-exhibition  this coming weekend.

Despite being stored in a cold garage I'm always surprised at how well eveything holds together during this period. No problems found other than a few spiders webs. A test run went well even without cleaning the track  :imsohappy:

That leaves me the rest of this week to try and get my new Hattons 48xx ready for its debut appearance. Weathering, coal, crew, lamps, DG couplings etc to be added. 

Hope to see a few RMwebbers at the show.

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Much Murkle has been taken out of its winter hibernation to make sure everything is hunky dory for its first outing of a busy 2017 at Leamington and Warwick show http://lwmrs.co.uk/CMS/index.php/2017-exhibition  this coming weekend.

That leaves me the rest of this week to try and get my new Hattons 48xx ready for its debut appearance. Weathering, coal, CREW, lamps, DG couplings etc to be added. 

If you manage to fit a crew they'll be a queue a mile long asking how you did it Nick. :secret:

• RMweb Gold

If you manage to fit a crew they'll be a queue a mile long asking how you did it Nick. :secret:

Rob there's a review in the Hornby Mag about this engine if you need a copy of the text let me know.

• RMweb Gold

Made a start on it today, following the instructions included with the loco. First thing they tell you to do is to remove the coal load. Interestingly they don't say how it is to be removed. I pondered for a while and then noticed a small hole behind the bunker lamp iron, poked the end of a cocktail stick in and out it popped. There are two screws inside the bunker to be removed, then it says to remove the whistle and the whistle guard if the model has one. Mine doesn't so I tried to remove the whistles and it was obvious they were going to break so I stopped. It turns out they DO NOT need to be removed but if the model has the whistle guard then they may be fixed differently. You then need to remove the handrail that runs from the roof down the cab side. The cab just then slides up and off. Easy peasy until I suspect it comes to putting the two screws back.

Rob there's a review in the Hornby Mag about this engine if you need a copy of the text let me know.

Does it include instructions to get the cab off?

Edited by nickwood

• RMweb Gold

I didn't take any photos of the process to access the cab to add crew but if I show the process of putting it back together and along with the instructions for removal in my post above, all should then be clear.

Taking it from the point where you now have access to the cab the level of detail can be seen to be remarkable. Pity that it can hardly be seen once your crew is in place  :no:

1747739019_482548-14xx005small.jpg.65c25dd914c84be86ff952ecae76d6e0.jpg

Fix your chosen crew. These are from Masterpice Models and are specifically made for the 14/48/58xx.

112001222_482548-14xx008small.jpg.9d09aad0993cb7eb74fd3f8cb1f2f2b1.jpg

Replace the cab, it just slides down back into place.

1837032726_482548-14xx010small.jpg.628d6279494648a0aa62fc0db3977611.jpg

Replace the two screws in the bunker recess. I think the wires are for a speaker installation.

88153477_482548-14xx011small.jpg.187b69f993652433c7462f2e384178b2.jpg

Replace the coal load. It is difficult to see the hole behind the lamp iron as I've added real coal, but is is fairly obvious when you know where to look.

440432818_482548-14xx012small.jpg.55ad5f56284aebb649ee536c6f9c3da3.jpg

If you had to remove the whistle guard then now is the time to replace it. 

Finally replace the cab handrail. Be careful with this part as it is very fragile and easy to lose.

1184167816_482548-14xx013small.jpg.9c06f45d2eaefc43ac91ccdd100ab26f.jpg

Hope this helps.

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick - useful pictures. It also shows, I think(!), that you can't access the inside of the cab where the number plate fits.

David

You're welcome. No you can't get at the number plates from the inside of the cab.