Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

• RMweb Gold

As well as flock for the leaves, have you thought of using leaf scatters?

I have a sheet of rubberised horse hair lying around under the house, I might try this idea on some trees I have to make. I even have all three of Gordon's books here somewhere as well!

Ian, although I am aware of the leaf scatters It hadn't crossed my mind to use them. All the other trees are finished in standard flocks and I have plenty in stock. If this tree was in a prominent position at the front of the layout I might rethink, but as it is at the back I think keeping a consistent standard is the best approach. 

Give it ago, I'm very pleased with the results so far.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to everyone for the likes and comments

The Tree has been foliaged using diluted pva in an atomiser bottle to spray the glue all over the rubberised horsehair. Woodland Scenics coarse turf scatter was then thrown over the tree in liberal quatities and the excess shaken off after a few minutes of drying.

Here's a couple of photos before it gets planted into position on the layout.

531084836_Tree026small.jpg.d65b72493f43c4c8698e82312ad779ae.jpg

901779982_Tree027small.jpg.54c9b66aee3ae63d92c64db22cbcb253.jpg

Important tip - Don't decant your wifes favourite perfume in order to use the atomiser with the thought of putting it back later. :no: The glue bungs up the little hole apparently :secret:

Suffering from earache and recuperating in the doghouse :blackeye:

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 9

Thanks to everyone for the likes and comments

The Tree has been foliaged using diluted pva in an atomiser bottle to spray the glue all over the rubberised horsehair. Woodland Scenics coarse turf scatter was then thrown over the tree in liberal quatities and the excess shaken off after a few minutes of drying.

Here's a couple of photos before it gets planted into position on the layout.

attachicon.gifTree 026 small.jpg

attachicon.gifTree 027 small.jpg

Important tip - Don't decant your wifes favourite perfume in order to use the atomiser with the thought of putting it back later. :no: The glue bungs up the little hole apparently :secret:

Suffering from earache and recuperating in the doghouse :blackeye:

Love the tree Nick, really good work, one of our club members brought the wife's atomizer bottle up to club last Tuesday and then proceeded to break the top off, I haven't head from him since, I hope he's O.K. haha

I hear Dog Houses are quite nice this time of year, ahha

Great work Nick,

Shame I didn't get to see you at Coventry, I wanted to go but was unable to make it so a meeting and viewing will have to wait.

I noticed Heki 1675 mentioned a few posts back and I found it very good and have used it for making Ivy, though I do add my own scatter mix to it after a quick PVA misting.

Good to see you making MM even better, is that possible?

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely layout, first time I've come across it!  Could any of you tree gents tell me how you keep the trees 'clean'?  Or at least free from dust and spiders, etc!

Brian

Hi Brian

Much Murkle lives in my garage most of the year, and environment that causes me the same problems. This year has been particularly bad for spiders, or should I say good for spiders and bad for me!

I keep the layout covered with dust sheets when it is not being used but I also have a very handy vacuum cleaner which is intended to clean spilt toner from laser printers. I acquired it from my wife's employer when they shut her office and sold off all the equipment. It has a gentle suction and a very thin tube that can get in places other vacuums can't get at without causing any damage.

I'm told that placing sweet chestnuts around the area that you want to keep spider free works but haven't tried it myself as I can't find a local source to collect any. They don't like the aroma apparently. I've tried horse chestnuts but they didn't work. 

• RMweb Gold

Conkers do work, or rather they did for me....Either that or every giant spider in St Blazey jsut decided to go over Par for a winter break that year :P

Edit

I might have pierced them with a pin before leaving the bowl full in spider land to let the flavour flood out .....

I spring cleaned the garage in the summer (it seems so long ago) and removed the old conkers that I'd tried and found to be useless.

So now it looks like I have to gather a fresh batch and bore holes in them.

Next you'll be telling me I need some string to thread through the hole......ahhh I get it !!! You bash the spiders over the head with them. Oh happy days!!!

Nick, with your customary exquisite craftmanship it seems a  shame to clothe your elm trees in so much foliage.

Maybe a little less would be more appropriate?

It's a long time since I saw an English elm, and even then they were a declining species but from a quick google foliage doesn't appear quite as heavy as you have. Edit: The American elms too in my garden have a more 'open' appearance. i can see quite a lot of light through them.

Just a thought.

Should you still incline to the heavy foliage perhaps a simpler form would suffice to give the general shape. On Hintock that's what I do. And it looks Okay-to me, at least.

Edited by john flann

Lovely layout, first time I've come across it!  Could any of you tree gents tell me how you keep the trees 'clean'?  Or at least free from dust and spiders, etc!

Brian

That's funny, I could have sworn it was only one gent talking about his tree. (Put up against wall and shot at dawn).

But on a more useful note have a look at this site, http://www.naturallivingideas.com/9-natural-ways-to-keep-spiders-out-of-your-home/, which shows some natural remedies for keeping spiders at bay and keeps your layout smelling nice and fresh. And i love the tree. I also have Gordons book and will try to emulate some of it when I come to build the trees I need.

• RMweb Gold
On 07/10/2014 at 17:38, john flann said:

Nick, with your customary exquisite craftmanship it seems a  shame to clothe your elm trees in so much foliage.

Maybe a little less would be more appropriate?

It's a long time since I saw an English elm, and even then they were a declining species but from a quick google foliage doesn't appear quite as heavy as you have. Edit: The American elms too in my garden have a more 'open' appearance. i can see quite a lot of light through them.

Just a thought.

Should you still incline to the heavy foliage perhaps a simpler form would suffice to give the general shape. On Hintock that's what I do. And it looks Okay-to me, at least.

John

If you google English Elm and look at the images you will see some examples with varying amounts of foliage, from as you say a more open appearance to some being quite dense. Beware though not all the images are actually English Elms. How you see and perceive them will to some extent depend on the angle you look at the tree and the same could be said of my tree. I've tried to make it so that you can see in towards the trunk but not so that you can see beyond too much. The reason is that this tree stands in the corner by the weighbridge and hides the joint in the backboards. The old tree which it replaces, apart from being badly proportioned, didn't, 

There are very few English Elms left to see in the real world, There are some still near Brighton which are heavily protected and monitored to try and prevent them succumbing to Dutch Elm Disease.

The tree has been positioned on Much Murkle and I'm waiting for the glue to set so that I can repair the scenics around it and 'bed' it in.

This should give a feel for how it will look.

1447964612_Tree028small.jpg.48120b446cd68c38706189951b8a09d9.jpg

The board to the left is the "coffin" end for when Much Murkle is packed for transportation

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 3

Nice tree Nick, most OO trees are to short, I bought 4 nice tall ones from the chap in the corner of the Hall you were in when I saw you at the Sutton Coldfield Show last year.

Really excellent mate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Nick

Really looking forward to seeing the results from the day, whenever and wherever they appear.

Jim

Thanks Jim

When Andy has processed the photos I then have to draft the article but he told me that he didn't think it would have a too long a lead in time for publication.

• Like 4