Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

• RMweb Gold

It was great to see Much Murkle in the flesh today Nick. Superb modelling.

Thanks, I spotted you having a look late on :whistle:

I agree with Mick's comment and I always enjoy a look at Tilley Yard South whenever I come across it.

Edited by nickwood

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

I've has the pleasure of seeing Much Murkle in the flesh at two recent events, firstly at Ally Pally and more recently at Fareham. It's a wonderful layout and the attention to detail is something I will certainly aspire to.

I'm particularly interested in your platforms though. I too am using the scalescenes red brick platform walls, but what did you use for the platform tops?

Kind regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick,

I've has the pleasure of seeing Much Murkle in the flesh at two recent events, firstly at Ally Pally and more recently at Fareham. It's a wonderful layout and the attention to detail is something I will certainly aspire to.

I'm particularly interested in your platforms though. I too am using the scalescenes red brick platform walls, but what did you use for the platform tops?

Kind regards,

Nick

Hi Nick

The platform top is made from 2mm card. The area in front of the station building is covered in Scalescenes paving and the other areas are covered with a very fine dust that I found on a mountain track in Northern Cyprus, almost talcum powder consistency. Any fine dust would do though. Laid on a bed of neat pva and tamped down with a small piece of plywood. Excess was vacuumed off when the glue had set.

Saw this today at Wilton. Very impressed, looks and runs as good as it looks in the photos :). Thanks for finding the time to tell me about the storage cassettes and the possible problems to avoid. Hopefully your experience will save me some time and money!

Regards

Roger

Managed to see Much Murkle yesterday at the Salisbury MR show. Easily the most atmospheric layout on show and you can almost hear the rural wildlife chirping away in the background. Thanks to Nick and Mick for chatting about the scenics and their constructions methods.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Roger & Martin

Thank you both for your generous comments. I am particularly pleased that you've both mentioned chatting to us about the methods used to build Much Murkle. For anyone reading this thread or seeing MM at an exhibition who wants to know more then please ask as we are always happy to explain how things have been done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Robin, thanks for noticing, hope I'm going to see you there.

The photos are from those taken by Trevor Jones for the 2012 Hornby Magazine article. They make interesting comparison with Andy York's photos taken for the 2015 BRM article. The sack store has dissapeared to be replaced with the yard crane, loco's weathered and much detail added around the layout.

Much Murkle has three more shows booked this year;

Woking REC show on 10 & 11th September http://www.rec-farnborough.org.uk/exhibition.html

The Great Electric Train Show at Gaydon on 7 & 8th October (see Robin's link above), and

Taunton Railex on 21 & 22nd October http://www.somersetrmc.org.uk/Rail-EX/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

For three months Much Murkle has languished in a corner of the garage. I spent yesterday cleaning the stock and it's going to be a busy day today getting the layout out of it's crate for testing and cleaning ready for it's next show at REC Woking this weekend.

Edited by nickwood

Lockheed Martin FPS 117 (Fixed Pulse Search)  long range surveillance radar.

Regards

Steve

(SIGTECH).

Train-spotting, plane-spotting and even bus-spotting I'll go for...but really radar spotting is stretching the anorak to large :sarcastic:

Wish I could make the show but I've run out of money...hope it's a good show

Train-spotting, plane-spotting and even bus-spotting I'll go for...but really radar spotting is stretching the anorak to large :sarcastic:

Wish I could make the show but I've run out of money...hope it's a good show

Professional and ex occupational interest...

Regards

SIGTECH

(Steve).

• 4 weeks later...