Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to John, hope you are well.

Andy, it won't quite be the same, coming to the Midlands and not seeing your cheery face but hope you enjoy whatever it is you're doing instead.

Robin, always good to see you. 

I'll be busy packing the car tomorrow as my van driver isn't available for this one.

• RMweb Gold

It was great to see Much Murkle again,a very inspiring layout and it was good to have chance to talk to Nick. I must improve my scenery instead of building locos, slowly.

Thanks to Robin for posting the photos.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Its a lovely layout, I have been trying to copy some of your scenic ideas, I too need a screen of trees. 

Mind you that wagon keeps confusing me, I keep reading it as Guinness on Trent. Sign of a miss spent youth I guess. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry it has taken a few days for me to respond but I went away for a break immediately after the Great Electric Train Show.

It was great to have the opportunity to speak at length with some of you and thank you all for the lovely comments. That's a nice selection of photos Robin, thanks for posting them.

The team really enjoyed this exhibition, even though we were an operator down. I like to have a team of four so that I can talk to people about the layout whilst two operate and one has a break. Despite being very busy both days and a man down we managed to find the time to chat with the paying public and answer any questions they asked but it meant we got little time to take a rest break and have a look around.  

• RMweb Gold

Its a lovely layout, I have been trying to copy some of your scenic ideas, I too need a screen of trees. 

Mind you that wagon keeps confusing me, I keep reading it as Guinness on Trent. Sign of a miss spent youth I guess. 

You certainly wouldn't want to be drinking any beverage made from water extracted from the Trent at Gunness !!!

• RMweb Gold

Having just got over the hectic weekend at The Great Electric Train Show, it's time to get MM ready again for a trip Taunton this weekend. This will be Much Murkle's last outing of 2017.

I have a full team compliment this weekend, so plenty of time for chatting.

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 1

Thanks, it great to meet fellow RMWebbers and put faces to names. Hope you enjoyed the show.

Hi Nick,

Good to meet you and have a chat on Sunday. Having lurked here for quite some time it was a pleasure to see MM "in the flesh" ( no, not me, the layout ! ) for the first time and its a real credit to you.

Also useful to see your use of printed papers to get the homoginous feel too.

Grahame

p.s.  Are you certain you won't want to do a follow up layout for the next station....Angela Murkle  :jester:

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today, I has mainly been making cassettes.....

1985957617_Cassettes030small.jpg.94652c190585cc04610b52e5f295a0e5.jpg

622106818_Cassettes031small.jpg.6ae62b0ce3f36398d18c7b228b2e0910.jpg

The old cassettes have given good service since MM first went on tour and have completed 25 exhibitions. They were constructed using 6mm MDF and Peco rail and I described their construction on page 2 of this thread. We have experienced some problems at recent exhibitions with alignment, warping and general wear and tear. I have been promising my operational team that I will build some new cassettes since last summer and decided to take advantage of the Christmas break to get on with it so that we can start 2018 with more reliable fiddle yard operation.

The basic cassettes shown above are constructed on a 9mm ply base machine cut to 67.5mm wide with strips of 38.1 x 25.4 x 3.2mm thick aluminium angle.

The two angle pieces are drilled with 3.5mm diameter holes at no more than 200mm centres. The screws used are 3.5mm x 9.5mm self tapping screws. To ensure the correct gauge (16.5mm) for 00, one length of angle is fixed securely. Before fixing the opposing angle strip the two end holes are opened out to 5mm which will allow some adjustment when setting the gauge. The gauge is set using vernier calipers and the two end screws are fixed and any adjustments made before fixing any other intermediate screws. The end screws that are used for adjustment need to have washers due to the hole size and these can be seen in the photos.

The angle and ply strips were cut to length using an electric mitre saw which makes it easy to make repeat cuts of the same length and gives a clean cut needing very little cleaning up of burrs.

Two more jobs to do before these are complete. I need to make a new plug-in dock which will provide power to the cassettes and each cassette will need something to keep the stock secure whilst being moved. I have a design in mind which is a development of the method I used on the old cassettes. A friend is making a test 3D print for me to experiment with. Hopefully I will pick it up before Christmas.

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I've managed to complete the cassette docking station today and ready to place at the fiddle yard entrance.

An aluminium strip is fixed to the outside edge of two short lengths of angle and brass strip to the inside edges. The brass strip is bent to give it some 'spring' so that it makes good contact with the cassette and transmits power across. The aluminium and brass strips are fixed with pop rivets. Both angles are then screwed to a piece of 9mm ply to match the cassettes and gauged to suit.

760595181_Cassettes033small.jpg.1ad68947e00ede7d86ee5f511cbf6f57.jpg

The next two photos show a cassette being offered up and slid into place.
1754665982_Cassettes035small.jpg.efdc80e56a3d194dd04c14c7bdddfd24.jpg

938766661_Cassettes036small.jpg.f13473f5caaa6d78a514c4d8ba7f8d7c.jpg

Finally before fixing to the layout a couple of small holes are drilled in the angle to allow wire

droppers to pass through and be soldered onto the brass strip. I did have problems here getting a good soldered joint as the whole assembly acted as a heat sink. In hindsight it would have been easier to solder the droppers in place before fixing the brass strip.

756499149_Cassettes038small.jpg.508651586e33520ae586850a61789b22.jpg

I now have to put the two layout boards up so that I can get the dock accurately aligned with the track before finally fixing and connecting the wiring.

Just the stock security to sort out now.

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Have you any plans or ideas yet for where MM is going to get shown off next year? I'd love to catch it again

Much Murkle will be at the following shows in 2018, I hope one of these is convenient for you

27 & 28 January @ Southampton MRS, Eastleigh

10 & 11 February @ Festival of British Railway Modelling, Doncaster

6 & 7 October @ Wigan FRM

20 & 21 October @ Uckfield

I would normally like to do 6/7 shows a year but have had to reduce the number of bookings I can accept in 2018 & 2019 due to other commitments.

I already have 3 shows booked for 2019 and 2 for 2020, one of which is Warley.

• Like 1

Thanks

Much Murkle will be at the following shows in 2018, I hope one of these is convenient for you

27 & 28 January @ Southampton MRS, Eastleigh

10 & 11 February @ Festival of British Railway Modelling, Doncaster

6 & 7 October @ Wigan FRM

20 & 21 October @ Uckfield

I would normally like to do 6/7 shows a year but have had to reduce the number of bookings I can accept in 2018 & 2019 due to other commitments.

I already have 3 shows booked for 2019 and 2 for 2020, one of which is Warley.

Thank you for that, good to see Uckfield in there, that's my second local show after Tonbridge so Uckfeld is definitely in the diary for next year. The others are a bit too far for me to get to but I might give Warley a go again in 2020, I visited my first Warley show in 2015 and was a bit underwhelmed I'm afraid, so I've been a bit hesitant since then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The casettes look very good Nick. I appreciate the detailed updates as I may be needing some myself in the not too distant future. The brass strip looks like a simple and effective approach.

Edited by Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

The casettes look very good Nick. I appreciate the detailed updates as I may be needing some myself in the not too distant future. The brass strip looks like a simple and effective approach.

Thanks Mikkel. My only concern with the brass strip is that it requires careful placement of the cassette when sliding it home to make sure it doesn't get bent out of alignment as it is quite thin. Hopefully the side strips of aluminium will help to make sure this doesn't happen. It perhaps needs the aluminium strips to project slighty further than the brass strip so that the cassette is properly aligned before sliding it home, however I haven't got any longer pieces to hand at present so I'll give it a trial before the next exhibition to see how it goes.  

Now's seems an opportune moment to show some of the stock I've been working on over the winter. First up a few humble wagons

The first three wagons were a generous gift sent to me all the way from Utah by my friend John Flann a while back. Whilst he will have seen the photos before it is only right that I should show my appreciation again by showing the completed kits here on RMweb.

attachicon.gifO4 open wagon 012 small.jpg

attachicon.gifO4 open wagon 013 small.jpg

attachicon.gifLoco coal wagon 011 small.jpg

attachicon.gifLoco coal wagon 012 small.jpg

attachicon.gifHorse box 012 small.jpg

attachicon.gifHorse box 013 small.jpg

I have been working on a few more to increase the stock including these

attachicon.gifGWR vans small.jpg

attachicon.gifFruit Van and Cattle Wagon small.jpg

Coaching stock next...

What sort of couplers are on those wagons ?