Treamble Branch Line & Penhale Military Camp

• RMweb Gold

There have been several threads over the years about what would be one's ideal railway to model, given that time/space/cost elements could be ignored. My preference has always seemed to be a model of the Truro / Chacewater/ Newquay / Par branch lines.

As such I've started a couple of threads on my foray into the line, starting with Shepherds Halt, a ficticious theory of what was possibly at what became Shepherds Station, and Shepherds Station, a what-if assuming the line had never been closed.

The Shepherds Halt / Shepherds Station layouts will both have a branchline exit, representing the little used (but highly important in my scenarios) line to the mines at Treamble.

As part of the design of the r/h fiddle yard, I have made provision for a 5ft x 1ft scenic section, on which to place a separate, but connected, representation of this mine area.

Whilst sizing up how big 5ft x 1ft actually is (as opposed to planning it on a piece of paper), I realised that I could quite happily incorporate a fully enclosed 5-3-3- inglenook, which would also double as just sidings when connected to the main layouts.

In my Shepherds Halt ficticious history, the line at Treamble aslso served part of the Penhale Military Camp.

So, what I'm intending is having part of the siding area overgrown and almost derelict, but the last section of the longest siding will be inside a military camp offshoot, so the groundworks will be imaculate. This should give an interesting contrast.

Plans and projected images will appear later.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 9

Guest Jim Read

Hello Stu,

I can't wait to see this develop, I like the idea of multiple siding usage, makes for some interesting operation. I have used lining wallpaper to mark stuff out full size before starting in earnest.

Am I right in thinking that the Par branch used cut down locos because of the low bridges along the line?

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

Yes, I too use wallpaper for planning, once it's been securely taped to the kitchen floor !

They were/are Alfred & Judy, now resident at Bodmin (and the basis for Rev. Awdry's Bill & Ben).

Stu

• RMweb Gold

With domestic duties finished this morning and a rare glimps of sunshine, I made a start on the second Fiddle Yard baseboard.

This gives me a fairly good idea of the area I have for the Treamble Branch area, so I have come up with this as an initial plan.

post-7025-0-15485700-1342383442.gif

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The board dimensions are 60" long by 11" across - the 11" will also need to include a backscene and a front scene...

A cross-sectional view gives this :

post-7025-0-27353000-1342529865.gif

The line from Shepherds Halt will fall about an inch, to distinguish from the main line - on the Treamble board, this will rise again as otherwise the track & scenics will be too deep.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Have bought the final piece of wood for the baseboard, the 3" x 1" plank for the smaller FY board shelf.

Except you can't buy 3" x 1" from your local Big Orange store, so it's 18mm x 69mm instead. Which means I'll have to remove one of the shelves on the large FY baseboard (which is 3" x 1") and put it on the end of the smaller FY board instead (which also supports this Treamble scenic section) so the main scenic section will be at the same height both ends, then add the 18mm x 69mm at the outer ends of each FY board to maintain the rigidity.

I've also decided to add some 1" square wood pieces to create some pockets for the legs to sit in, within the box-frame sides.

In the meanwhile (as this will probably be done on Satuday, weather permitting), this evening I should be able to create the main carcase for the Treamble scenic section out of foamboard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As posted on the Shepherds Halt thread (to keep all the baseboard construction together), I've almost finished the sub-baseboard for the Treamble/Penhale scenic section.

post-7025-0-44040500-1343721163_thumb.jpg

The left end of the board will be the connection to the main scenic section, albeit through the backscene and a view of the actual location suggests a steep bank anda few trees would nicely hide the exit.

post-7025-0-88748100-1343721090.gif

post-7025-0-75875400-1343721105_thumb.jpg

I'm intending to make the extended siding to the camp look as if it's a more recent addition, so will be laid with newer ballast, whereas the two mine sidings will be buried almost to the top of the rails.

post-7025-0-22150700-1343721359_thumb.jpg

Lots to do !!

Edit - Scans are from the Middleton Press / M. Dart book 'West Cornwall Mineral Lines' and are reproduced with permission.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

Guest Jim Read

Hello Stu,

I hope you don't mind me pointing this out, if by putting your board on one end and twisting it by hand there is some movement then it will warp. A small amount of time spent making some diagonals will ensure the board remains flat. I have seen so many boards do this over the years and so many others where diagonal bracing has meant the layout is still in use 30 years later.

Kind regards - Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Stu,

I hope you don't mind me pointing this out, if by putting your board on one end and twisting it by hand there is some movement then it will warp. A small amount of time spent making some diagonals will ensure the board remains flat. I have seen so many boards do this over the years and so many others where diagonal bracing has meant the layout is still in use 30 years later.

Kind regards - Jim

Jim,

Yes they do twist, and yes, I will be adding some (more) diagonal struts to stop this happening.

There also is room under the sub-baseboard to fix some bracing to the r/h board.

• RMweb Gold

A parcel of wagons from the estate of Richard (Wheeltapper) arrived today, so I thought it best I try them out on the layout :

post-7025-0-25699200-1343825235_thumb.jpg

The three wagons on the back siding stand along side what will be a shed of some sort, the top of which will extend onto the support shelf brackets.

The single guards van stands in the other mine siding, which will be used to receive / send wagons.

The final two guards vans stand where the Penhale camp unloading area will be, beyond a military-style fence.

Off behind the camera to the left will be a cutting, on the far side there will be buried pill box, on the near side a few trees & bushes to hide the exit.

• RMweb Gold

All the track was laid last night, the two wires for the supply soldered on and the wires were also added to the Seeps, prior to fixing them in position.

Today will be spent scenicing, probably the cutting on the left end, with the half hidden pill box overlooking the line. I might have room to add a rutted cart track leading into the mine area too, which will help disguise the odd backscene arrangement.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

A couple of photos of progress so far this weekend.

Terraforming consists of foamboard formers, with cardboard (cereal packet) latice work, covered in kitchen towel which is painted with a 50/50 pva/water mix.

post-7025-0-19948700-1344105848_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-63272200-1344106131_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

During the war, as part of Operation Fortitude, the military experimented with lighter-than-air buildings. In a very rare photo, we can see this effect, as the lower extremities of the building do indeed appear to be above the ground. We can also see the ingenious method of making the building appear larger than it's actual footprint, by constructing the roof over a higher section of ground.

post-7025-0-28968100-1344254609_thumb.jpg

Following the addition of the military siding, a BWT from Bodmin was sent with some oddly liveried wagons to test the track and suitablity for different sized locos. Here we can see 30587 shunting near the pill box.

post-7025-0-26476100-1344254604_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Guest Jim Read

Hello Stu,

That's a gorgeous well tank, lovely locos and that one is beautifully made. I like the lighter than air lol

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After some delicate negotiations, a photo set of another of the lighter-than-air sheds has come into my possession. However, this shed is a rejected item, as the building was obviously constructed too heavy and only made it to a secret north Cornwall coast location.

post-7025-0-64174900-1344429543_thumb.jpg

This shed will be used as the basis for a model at the back of the military area.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Despite the threat of rain, I managed some modelling time in the garden this afternoon.

Looking along the line from the end of the military loading bank.

post-7025-0-38557900-1344705086_thumb.jpg

A more general view from the top of the cutting, looking past the mine sidings to the military premises.

post-7025-0-15803300-1344705096_thumb.jpg

A view up the cart track from the mine yard.

post-7025-0-48573500-1344705114_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is the fourth attempt at the shed... sorry, military warehouse, that I've made - this time I'm reasonably happy.

Next to it (the far side) will be a corrugated iron lean-to. Both sides will then be covered in over-hanging trees, to disguise the shelf in the backscene.

post-7025-0-89542500-1345033584_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Progress:

The front bank has been built and a start has been made painting the rock areas, the higher ground in the military camp has been painted too, in preparation for the gravel ground cover.

post-7025-0-36219100-1345329565_thumb.jpg

A start has also been made to the mine yard area inlaid tracks.

post-7025-0-55515700-1345329571_thumb.jpg

Around the pill box I've added a grass mat.

post-7025-0-07442100-1345329559.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A potential disaster has struck the Treamble area this morning. Probably due to a large quantity of paint, there is now a pronounced bow to the baseboard.

I'm not sure I can recover it.

• RMweb Gold

A potential disaster has struck the Treamble area this morning. Probably due to a large quantity of paint, there is now a pronounced bow to the baseboard.

I'm not sure I can recover it.

Have you painted both sides of the board Stu - and was the top surface sealed before scenic work commenced?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The foam board was not sealed both sides, I thought I'd added enough strengthener pieces to prevent any movement. I'd added the paper towel scenery yesterday, with no apparent bowing, so painted the top surface with a greeny colour, prior to adding the grass matting.

I put the module on the table at work today and noticed the curvature.

However, after few choice phrases (muttered under my breath so as not to upset fellow workers!)and a few moments consideration as to where to cut, a decent slice was made through the side wall. Card inserts have been added to force the bow apart, and a first stage of re-glueing the separated strengtheners is underway.

Fun, this modelling, eh ?

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1