• RMweb Gold

Well I am just about finished the N1 now, just the rear spectacle grills to go and then it will be off to the paint shop.  Here are a couple of pics of it as of just now.

eh0bQj.jpg

and

HznSEw.jpg

It has been a very enjoyable build so far, and I can't wait to get it painted and running on the layout.  There are a couple of more pics on my layout thread.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7

Hi Tony,

I didn't realise how for 3D printing has gone model-railway wise. I'm very impressed.  Your build seems first class. Must check if he as a J27...

Regards,

Tony aka Hal (could get confusing ;) )

EDIT I AM confused. I just deleted my last reply 'cos I thought I'd been replying on your page. But I wasn't, and still aren't :jester:

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all

Just for completeness, here are a couple of pics of the finished N1.  

7aR2X8.jpg

WHcxuC.jpg

Sorry for cross-posting them on my layout thread but I thought I should put them up here for anyone who wants to see what you can end up with the N1 print.  I really have to thank Andrew for his wonderful print, fantastic instructions and the pics he sent through.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this loco to anyone wanting an N1, it's a great project and even a ham fisted modeller like me can end up with a good example of one of the stalwarts of the West Riding.

There are a couple more pics on my layout thread too as I didn't want to clog up this thread with too many pics.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re the Aspinall Class 27, has anyone experimented with other similar chassis ?

I'm reticent to use a class C chassis as

a. They're not a cheap loco and

b. It's a nice model and I'd feel bad ripping it up.

If only something like a Collett 2251 chassis would fit - a quarter the price and heaps of them around.

I think I'll probably buy one of these body kits "just in case" and measure up all the 0-6-0 loco chassis I have that are run of the mill.

You never know your'e luck....

Oh, anyone got a damaged C class up for sale?? - just asking :)

Finally, @AJ427 When is the Aspinall 28 for 3F chassis coming out? hint hint 

Cheers

Gerry C

Edited by altone
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My next 3d printed model will be an ex-NER Diagram 196 horsebox.

The model is at an advanced CAD stage and will soon be sent for a test print. It will come in three main parts; chassis, body and roof with additional detail parts tucked inside for transit. These will be buffers, roof vents and brake shoes. The model will also allow for alternative metal buffers and roof vents supplied by Wizard Models.

post-7745-0-64131100-1436369877_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-66852500-1436369914_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-25953800-1436369929_thumb.jpg

I’ve based the model on the Peter Tatlow vol.3 drawing. The roof detail is somewhat sketchy – I have only two images showing this directly and both are very low res. The Peter Tatlow drawing is based on the as-built design and the roof is definitely different in the LNER/BR-era. Also the tumble home is shown as quite curved on the drawing but photographs show it to be much more shallow.

More details on my website.

https://ajmodels.wordpress.com/2015/07/08/ner-diag-196-horse-box-3d-model/

• Like 10

The drawing in Tatlow shows a gas lamp, but none of the photos show gas tanks, therefore I suspect they were fitted with oil lamps and the other circular element was the holder for the wooded plug.

Something like this?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18405-bouchs-workbench-7mm-n-scale-and-model-engineering/page-4&do=findComment&comment=1934512(post #90 4th image down)

Back from Shapeways yesterday was the prototype horsebox model...

The roof arrived in a separate bag so I'm not sure if they've printed it like that or if they removed it or it became detached from the sprue during cleaning. It's not a big deal and this is what it should look like after printing:

post-7745-0-44400300-1437055956_thumb.jpg

The small add-on parts are tucked away inside the body for safety during transit - the lamp/plug items need modifying as per recent posts:

post-7745-0-09497200-1437056390_thumb.jpg

After the parts are separated and placed loosely together:

post-7745-0-80806500-1437056063_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-17418100-1437056094_thumb.jpg

I'm very happy with how the detail has come out, especially the underframe. It is however, very delicate - I've already managed to snap off a couple of the spring hangers just by looking at them! I'll be looking to try and beef these parts up a little. As usual, it's a fine line between detail accuracy and robustness.

post-7745-0-86848700-1437056121_thumb.jpg

Of slight concern at the moment is how the parts fit. It's too tight to fit the chassis properly on one side and the roof is a little warped at one end. This all may just require cleaning and a little filing so we'll see how it goes. This was after the first cleaning session and already the fit is better:

post-7745-0-91423100-1437056146_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

ooh now that is tasty. Any chance of a more modular version that could work with Bill Bedford Axle guides? I could be tempted to go with Bradwell spring plates on this and not mess about. Would it work in P4?

Hi Steve,

I've had a few requests for modifications so it could be compensated or used in P4 but my initial findings suggest this will not be possible as the chassis parts are just too fragile even as part of a larger assembly. Some of them will be too small/thin to print as separate items. In fact, on general clean up of the model and an initial prime and sand, several more parts fell victim to manhandling including another spring hanger, both brake lever guards, part of one of the door springs and one of the steps. Also the brake shoe part was a complete failure and both sets were broken trying to fit them in the pre-designed slots. A small redesign is underway to improve and strengthen these parts as far as possible.

Sanding proved difficult due to the panelling and on the second coat of primer the paint came out a bit blobby (probably my own stupid fault). The grainy roughness shown here is largely due to the poor spray job.

post-7745-0-76662100-1437460886.jpg

post-7745-0-48756200-1437460877.jpg

I'm going to be using the NER buffers from 51L Wizard Models but the model is shown here also with the printed ones that will come included. I'm quite pleased with them and the only real reason not to use them is for robustness.

• Like 2

I am sure 3D printing has a future but the grainy surface does not replicate smooth surfaces, although it is acceptable on bogies. 

I was keen to standardise on a certain manufacturers 3D LMS bogies despite the cost, but they were found to have weaknesses during handling that I could not possibly pass onto my clients. Unfortunately, the manufacturer would not change anything that I considered needed beefing up ('cos the finescale buyers were happy with them). Shame. 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am sure 3D printing has a future but the grainy surface does not replicate smooth surfaces, although it is acceptable on bogies. 

I was keen to standardise on a certain manufacturers 3D LMS bogies despite the cost, but they were found to have weaknesses during handling that I could not possibly pass onto my clients. Unfortunately, the manufacturer would not change anything that I considered needed beefing up ('cos the finescale buyers were happy with them). Shame. 

Indeed, it's only a matter of time, the top-level 3D printers have little to no layering evident, but the cost is rather prohibitive currently.

The good thing is CAD models developed now should be able to be used with later printers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

In the dim and distant I started on my first non-loco project - an ex-NER Diagram 196 horsebox. This one proved to be a steep learning curve, especially with the delicate underframe parts which had to be redesigned. Add to the mix Shapeway's printing inconsistencies including warped and missing parts and several re-prints were required before I was happy. The model has been sat on my workbench for several months before I've finally got round to finishing it recently. Added detail parts include the end steps which are by my usual method of thin acetate sheet, bent staples for lamp holders, handrails, thin wire for the communication cord, vacuum pipes and finally a suitable groom was sourced from Monty's Models. Sprued 3d parts are provided for the buffers which have printed very well but I've used cast/turned metal NER buffers from 51L Wizard Models for additional robustness.

I'd have to conclude that this has been a step too far for affordable 3d printing. The detail required has compromised strength and is very difficult to clean/sand satisfactorily. Obviously I still have the CADs so if another more suitable process/material comes along I can revisit this project for a better outcome. Therefore, for the time being, I will not be releasing this model on my Shapeway's store. However, if you really do want this model please PM me to discuss your requirements.

post-7745-0-98191700-1468827290_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-82533200-1468827125_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-27871500-1468827191_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 years later...