Thanks to additional info received with thanks for the tender the cads have been completed and the test model has just arrived from Shapeways. It's come out quite well but needs a good cleanup. The tender interior drops into place (to make it easier to fit weight, dcc, etc) and some other detail parts are sprued here: brake shoes, tender tool boxes (they seemed to be placed in a variety of locations or not at all) cab interior reverser wheel and steps. I've found that shrinkage can be an issue with FUD so I have two options for the tender wheels - holes for pinpoint bearings and a sub-frame for through-frame bearings. I'll see which works best. I've managed to snap off one of the tender brake blocks due to my own clumsiness. The next test will be to see if it all fits! Fingers crossed.

post-7745-0-98391800-1412773428_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-51845300-1412773510_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-69426800-1412773528_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-52601000-1412773596_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The Bachmann C Class chassis has been suitably modified. As per Larry's conversion the only modification required to fit is to cut the front 3mm off in front of the guard irons and to file off the two protrusions either side of the gearbox. Voila! The body fits - more or less - a very small modification will be required to the design at the back. Here it is on the chassis.

post-7745-0-13870100-1412841486_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-80865900-1412843303_thumb.jpg

For the tender I'm erring towards the sub-frame as the the pin-point bearings holes proved a tight fit (it will be problematic to design the holes much bigger) and difficult to open out in a restricted space. The printed sub-frame is a little flimsy so will be modified. I have also created a fold up etched brass version of this and this is what I've used here. Through frame bearings have yet to be added so the tender is currently sitting too low.

post-7745-0-66183100-1412843625_thumb.jpg

Finally here's the tender on the sub-frame showing the wiring loom and drop in top arrangement.

post-7745-0-37844900-1412843738_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Can i just say what a sunning looking loco!

If you are of the mindset, you could probably modify the design to produce a whole raft of Pre-grouping 0-6-0 classes.. Can I put in for some Scottish versions please? ;-}

Andy G

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My A Class test print has now been cleaned up detailed, painted, crewed and tested and all is well. Here it is last weekend when we had a few minutes of sunshine. My tripod was elsewhere so these are hand-held (hence poor depth of field).

post-7745-0-30148400-1417162533_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-54571800-1417162555_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-93455600-1417162794_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-81417400-1417163038_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-63569300-1417162973_thumb.jpg

post-7745-0-82830200-1417162894_thumb.jpg

Parts retained/reused from the Bachmann C class are the whistle, safety valve cover and valves, backhead, fall plate, guard irons and the weight that sits in the smokebox. The back face of the 'front' steps are a slot in part and the horizontal parts on all of the steps are fashioned from acetate (or clear plastic packaging) - it scores/bends readily and is more robust than the equivalent styrene. I wasn't happy with the shape of the smokebox on the print so I've redesigned it along with a couple of other parts. This prototype has a replacement spare from the Craftsman model. The chassis was stripped of all sanding and brake gear and a set of rigging was made up from brass wire with the brakes fixed to this and the rigging fixed to the chassis bottom.

Where I struggled most with this one was the tender draw bar arrangement: The C Class draw bar cannot be reused as it's too short so one needs to be fashioned. Likewise the tender sub-frame to body fixing has to be quite far back to be hidden. My eventual solution was to fashion a small length of brass with a bolt that attached to the tender body fixing. The coal rails are optional (in so much as not all tenders had them) and to be honest I wish I hadn't bothered. I gave up on attempting to solder them and finally used microstrip. Finally the access for the DCC chip was a bit awkward so that has also been redesigned.

When the model goes on sale (end of next week hopefully) I'll be putting up a full set of instructions on my blog site.

• Like 11

Lovely job, but please go and lie down in a dark, quiet room until this LMS modelling tendency wears off.

Actually, L & Y isn't so bad. I can appreciate a bit of nice L & Y modelling.

I know, I don't know quite what came over me!

Edited by AJ427

Your model captures the Lanky A class to a tee. Now that it is painted, I can see that the smokebox door and surround is a little on the heavy side in that it protrudes too much. Some white Metal casting tend to be the same. In the end I used the smokebox door off a Bachmann Lanky Radial Tank, although I could not get the backing plate surrounding the door thin enough. Nontheless you have produced a lovely model.

post-6680-0-91510700-1417172682.jpg

Photo by Jim Davenport, Brian Green collection.

Edited by coachmann

That's it I'm having an L&Y, looks excellent all finished up! 

Can I put in a request for a Cambrian Jones Goods on a Bachmann Collett Goods chassis? Scope for a few variations, 2 styles of cab and then the GWR stuck their smokebox and fittings on after grouping which then lasted well into BR days..... 

Edited by Quarryscapes

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Andrew

Thanks to SAC Martin's thread on his LNER Locos I found your Shapeways shop and your instructions, then after ordering a superheated N1 I found this thread. I'm really looking forward to building it as an N1 was nearly always present at Wakefield Westgate, either shunting or working Bradford portions and various locals.

Like you, the J50 announcement by Hornby has been bittersweet, as I recently purchased Dave Shakespeare's Connoisseur kits version (which is very good) to fill a motive power gap.

I just want to congratulate you on your work so far and hope you continue your work. The A class also looks superb and I would also be interested in a J6 if you do head down that path.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Andrew

Thanks to SAC Martin's thread on his LNER Locos I found your Shapeways shop and your instructions, then after ordering a superheated N1 I found this thread. I'm really looking forward to building it as an N1 was nearly always present at Wakefield Westgate, either shunting or working Bradford portions and various locals.

Like you, the J50 announcement by Hornby has been bittersweet, as I recently purchased Dave Shakespeare's Connoisseur kits version (which is very good) to fill a motive power gap.

I just want to congratulate you on your work so far and hope you continue your work. The A class also looks superb and I would also be interested in a J6 if you do head down that path.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

Always nice to know who's buying the models. Let me know how you get on or if you run into any problems and I'll be happy to help.

I wouldn't feel too disheartened with Dave's J50 as you've got a real piece of modelling history there and something very special. I've just caught up on your Wakefield thread and it looks right at home.

A J6 is very much on my to do list but I'm increasingly of the opinion (especially with the J50 announcement) that it won't be long before there's a RTR one in the offing. But if not, then there's the possibility that the forthcoming J50 chassis could be used as a basis.

Thanks

A J6 is very much on my to do list but I'm increasingly of the opinion (especially with the J50 announcement) that it won't be long before there's a RTR one in the offing. But if not, then there's the possibility that the forthcoming J50 chassis could be used as a basis.

This is the problem, as we never know what is around the corner. I am awaiting Bachmanns announcements in March just in case...

This is the problem, as we never know what is around the corner. I am awaiting Bachmanns announcements in March just in case...

Where's the North Koreans (allegedly) when you need some corporate information that isn't about a film that insults their leader...

Suspect Bachmann have better security systems in place to keep us out though, lest we learn what they are making in advance  :O

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well my 3D print of the superheated N1 arrived yesterday safe and sound and the print is very good, excellent detail, not much stepping to get rid of.  I will get a coat of primer on it over the weekend to check out how much finishing is to be done, but my heart skipped a beat last night when I found out only 11 of the 56 N1s were superheated.  One must check ones research before one goes blindly off ordering nice new 3D things.  Somehow I got lucky though, as the fantastic side on photo in the Bellcode book on Ardsley, Wakefield and Pontefract which I was going to use as my prototype is 69452 as it was shedded at Ardsley for most of the 50s, it used to be 4572 pre-nationalisation and according to this http://www.doncasterworksrecords.org.uk/BOILERS-5.html, it was a superheated engine, phew!  As I don't have a Yeadons of the N1s, can someone tell me what the outward difference between the superheated and saturated engines were, as the boiler diameter was the same, the dome was the same height as well.  Apparently the snifter valve behind the chimney was a different type to make sure the elements were sufficiently cooled during coasting, but that's about all I have been able to tell from the pics I have.

Thanks again Andrew for making the print available, I am looking forward to building it now.

Cheers

Tony

Well my 3D print of the superheated N1 arrived yesterday safe and sound and the print is very good, excellent detail, not much stepping to get rid of.  I will get a coat of primer on it over the weekend to check out how much finishing is to be done, but my heart skipped a beat last night when I found out only 11 of the 56 N1s were superheated.  One must check ones research before one goes blindly off ordering nice new 3D things.  Somehow I got lucky though, as the fantastic side on photo in the Bellcode book on Ardsley, Wakefield and Pontefract which I was going to use as my prototype is 69452 as it was shedded at Ardsley for most of the 50s, it used to be 4572 pre-nationalisation and according to this http://www.doncasterworksrecords.org.uk/BOILERS-5.html, it was a superheated engine, phew!  As I don't have a Yeadons of the N1s, can someone tell me what the outward difference between the superheated and saturated engines were, as the boiler diameter was the same, the dome was the same height as well.  Apparently the snifter valve behind the chimney was a different type to make sure the elements were sufficiently cooled during coasting, but that's about all I have been able to tell from the pics I have.

Thanks again Andrew for making the print available, I am looking forward to building it now.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

Glad that all is well with the print. The differences are simply related to the superheater element: the chimney on the saturated boiler engines sits near the back of the smokebox whereas on the superheated engines it is further forward to the front of the smokebox to accommodate the superheater element and snifter valves behind and also there are bolts below the snifters on either side of the smokebox (presumably access plates or to hold something in place inside). Finally there are cocks either side of the smokebox on the saturated examples but these are not present on the superheated locos.

post-7745-0-73995300-1420703091_thumb.jpg

I have a handful of images of 69452 other than the Ardsley shed one. PM me if you want copies of any.

Regards Andrew

Edited by AJ427

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andrew, it's amazing how you can look at pics for ages and not spot something as basic as the position of the chimney.

I'll PM you directly regarding 69452 as I only have pics of the LHS at the moment.

Cheers

Tony

Does look superb, a good advert for 3D printing. There is always going to be a problem with Bachmann, Hornby and other companies producing a r2r model of the same loco, but at least the development cost is not as much. There are always other locos to design models of, and lessons learnt make those designs easier.

What is really needed is suitable coaches to go with these pre-grouping locos.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

With Andrew's permission, I thought I would post up a few pics of my N1 print and my efforts so far in working it up into 69452.

First up, here are some pics of the raw print.  Overall the print was very good, the stepping was quite minimal in most places, only the rear of the bunker and the front and rear cab walls where it was really noticeable/furry.  What you don't realise is how much detail Andrew has managed to get into the print until you coat it with primer and start sanding, it is quite superb.

Here is the print as received, after being fettled onto the N2 chassis.

zg3CVB.jpg

From the rear, you can see the extent of the stepping on the rear of the bunker, really not that bad at all:

MGHonm.jpg

and a closer view of the boiler:

mVhJz6.jpg

It is also very neat how the body fits on the N2 chassis, I had one of the later versions that were included in the 1948 Olympics Trainpack (bought just to get two more Gresley teaks in BR numbers, never knew what I would do with the N2 until now!).  I ended up milling a small part out of the plastic motor mount using my Dremel.  You can see the half circle indentation on both sides, this clears the tank connecting pipe:

Km3roo.jpg

and showing how the chassis fits under the body:

gVTIeR.jpg

Here is the print after priming, sanding, then priming again ready for some finishing off:

1oTsU5.jpg

Hopefully this shows the amount of detail, but this also means you need to be quite careful sanding it.  I have already knocked off the lubricator wheel...

and a bit of a close up around the cab:

xdk11E.jpg

and a whole of loco shot on the chassis.  

50ir8b.jpg

If you are thinking of getting one of these, don't wait, they are a great starting point for building one of these and Andrew's instructions are very thorough and helpful to finish one off to good standard.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5