Mk1 Sleeper

davidw

This seems to have been in the Bachmann catalogue for a long time - I don't think there's actually been a run of them yet? Can anyone confirm? Or know when there will be a run?

Thanks

They have reached the drawing board at least, I think neck and neck with the Kernow Thumper according to the last Collector Club magazine.

Just need to drum into Bachy that they need to do a SLC composite version with Western and Scottish car numbers

The SLC was high on the RMweb wishlist for coaching stock. makes sense to add this if youre doing the other sleepers.

last i heard these would be released with a choice of bogie BR1, common or B4.

i think Bachmann were slightly cornered here between rock and hard place. not making the sleeper would have been a crime as their mk1s are superb then again i wonder how many they will actually sell.........many here wanting to run sleeper/motorail services or ecs?

The SLC was high on the RMweb wishlist for coaching stock. makes sense to add this if youre doing the other sleepers.

last i heard these would be released with a choice of bogie BR1, common or B4.

i think Bachmann were slightly cornered here between rock and hard place. not making the sleeper would have been a crime as their mk1s are superb then again i wonder how many they will actually sell.........many here wanting to run sleeper/motorail services or ecs?

Good question, for vehicles that largely ran at night. Though I suppose that during the summer months these would run in twighlight. For my layout I'd envisioned at least one rake of mixed firsts and seconds. 6 or 7 vehicles, sandwiched between a couple of BG's with possibly a Buffet /resturant with an open vehicle in the mix... Time to check the Carriage workingsIf a BSO or FO were announced (cross fingers) then 6/4 respectively.

• RMweb Premium

Many a sleeping car ran in full daylight. In summer most arrivals at terminals were well after sunrise for example. Then there were the occasional (and sometimes diagrammed) daytime e.c.s. moves with a sleeping car or two locked out of use in the rake to get it from B to C or back to A. The Barrow - Euston sleeper was a one-way working for instance meaning the sleeping car(s) had to be worked down on a daytime service.

Bachmann often announce items well before they are expected on the shelves. Anything from 1 - 2 years is normal. The sleeping cars have been in the catalogue for a while but not that long. A quick check shows I ordered 10 of them (four seconds and a first in each of blue/grey and maroon) back in July last year as soon as pre-orders were opened so little more than a year back. They seem to be expected early next year but possibly - knowing Bachmann - they might appear for Warley this year in some form or another such as a painted sample.

I am eagerly awaiting these as they should place the only previous offering - the tired Tri-ang moulding now sold by Hornby - well and truly into the shade. I see ample scope for them to sell well as they were seen on all regions (not so often, perhaps, on the SR but they did appear) and could be found in mixed seated / sleeper / parcels / newspaper / Motorail trains allowing for some interesting rakes to be made up.

A sleeper composite would be a nice follow-up as well, please.

Photos like this don't really need any excuse, but there's a Sleeper peeping into the frame:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=33836

The Waverley mob will be takers of these fine looking vehicles, that main line can't be modelled convincingly without, and in my case I will definitely run the down 'waker' in morning daylight, on occasion!

The old Hornby Dublo super detail sleepers were better than the Tri-ang offerings, though I seem to recall that when HD went bust there were in excess of 10,000 of the coaches left in the stock room at Binns Road suggesting that sleeper coaches would be a much slower seller than other types. However I know Bachmann will have done their number crunching, and I doubt that they will lose out on these if the quality of their previous MkIs is anything to go by.

http://www.Bachmann....php?id=40&vis=2

EP sample on the Bachmann website today.

Presumably this is one of the blue/grey versions on B4 or B5 type. Looks like another nice coach is coming.....

Detailed interior is mentioned - at least the model is not unrealistically see through like the Hornby/Triang sleepers were.

Looking forward to seeing a painted version in due course.......

These are pretty much the last word in Mk1 coaches so it would be good if Bachmann look at the Mk2 or Mk3 fleet next.......

• RMweb Premium

Most of the variants would apply more or less exclusively to maroon or to b/g livery but I wonder if some might be clip on parts such as the ducting and underfloor gear. I note three bogie options are to be offered on just four catalogue items and wonder how that might be done. Mk1 bogies under maroon stock and with the b/g mounted on Commonwealth for second class and B4 for first? I'm sure a coaching stock expert will clarify what should go where.

Looking at the 1980 platform 5 pocket book-

SLF- 2000-2104 B5, 2105-2132 C

SLC- 2400- 2406, 2408-2423 and 2427 B5, 2424-2426 and 2428-2453 C (2407 has one B4 and one B5)

SLSTP- 2500-2578 B5, 2579-2691 C

SLEP- 2800, 05-09 and 2812-2818 B5, 2801-04 and 2819-2832 C.

SLEP are conversions from SLSTP.

So only 1 coach with 1 B4 bogie, I hope Bachmann are going to look at their bogie choice.

In all seriousness as the B4 and B5 are of such a similar design i really dont see Bachmann retooling their B4 to look like a B5 or even make a new B5 bogie. I struggle to see the differences without reference to close up photos on these bogies. I think its safe to assume Bachmann will simply release a few of the B/G versions on their B4s in the pretence that they are good enough for your average modeller to accept as a B5 compromise especially if only one coach is recorded as running B4s. Im sure the B4 can be changed for Replica B5s if they arent up to the particular standard required but of course its very subjective.

In all seriousness as the B4 and B5 are of such a similar design i really dont see Bachmann retooling their B4 to look like a B5 or even make a new B5 bogie. I struggle to see the differences without reference to close up photos on these bogies. I think its safe to assume Bachmann will simply release a few of the B/G versions on their B4s in the pretence that they are good enough for your average modeller to accept as a B5 compromise especially if only one coach is recorded as running B4s. Im sure the B4 can be changed for Replica B5s if they arent up to the particular standard required but of course its very subjective.

They maybe of similar design but the differences are very noticeable, a much squarer traction control rod, thicker section spring plank, large diameter axle boxes and beefier springs (even more noticeable when clean, blue in colour).

Al Taylor

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That would be the Plymouth - Edinburgh / Glasgow overnight. The "Night Riviera" to Paddington never loaded to 14 or 15 in the days of 50 haulage. 6 "wakers" and 3 or 4 sleepers, sometimes with a BG was the limit, later cut back to just 3 wakers and 3 sleepers without the BG.

We've got other issues here, haven't we. Surely earlier b/g repaints were of the original body style/ detail configuration?

Running '68 I don't want to be respraying maroon beasties, and realistically I want my maroon to stay in a minority. As front line service stock was an early adopter of the Corporate Image, I'm not sure I've even seen evidence of a maroon one in '68.

i once had a bed on that edin/glas sleeper from Bham New Street to scotland. This was circa 1977 - 1978 ish. The 15 coacher arrived from Bristol/Plymouth (was it 1S76?) from Five Ways tunnel with Peak power at the helm. We was in the lead coach (the last coach before the reversal) which was a Mk1 SLSTP sleeper. The de rigeur electric, an 81 or 83 I think it was, hooked up at the north end for the reversal and journey north beneath the wires. Think it was something like 23:55 off new street and we bailed at around 6am at a cold windy Motherwell to "do the depot". Staying on and having an extra 90 minutes in the bed at Glasgow would have been much more condusive to a better start to the day but the depot did produce the numbers :)

You dont see many photos of these long gone nocturnal trains of the 70s/80s these days - if you know of any photo sets do let me know particularly those with AC power on the front ;)

It was 1S19 and left Bristol at various times in the timetable periods between 21.15 and 21.30. Sometimes it was a 50 too and always got banked up the lickey by 2 x37's

Wouldn't expect you got much sleep whilst going up the Lickey.

• RMweb Premium

I never book a sleeper on that one. Always travelled in the rear-most coach (latterly a Mk2 BSO) with the alarm set for the stop at Bromsgrove just in case. Never needed it though. Stop. Out came the two tractors. Buff up, whistle up and spew up volcanics into the night sky. An awesome display.

That would be the Plymouth - Edinburgh / Glasgow overnight. The "Night Riviera" to Paddington never loaded to 14 or 15 in the days of 50 haulage. 6 "wakers" and 3 or 4 sleepers, sometimes with a BG was the limit, later cut back to just 3 wakers and 3 sleepers without the BG.

The train involved in the Taunton train fire was a Penzance to Paddington service. It was 15 vehicles. That was 1978 which was "in the days of the 50s"

Archived