Mk1 Sleeper

davidw

Here's the easiest conversion of all, and a possible "get out of jail card", for those who have bought incorrect maroon SLS type. No roof swapping or cutting involved, you just re-number and bung on a couple of '1's on two doors, and it becomes by magic, a SLC (Sleeper Composite) with the correct roof. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy, it's now W2438. If and when Bachmann correct their mistake on later batches, you could always convert your dodgy SLSTPs to this format, and buy new seconds. Equally, if you can't wait until Bachmann do the SLC next year (or somebody commissions it), this will only take you twenty minutes or so, plus if you were going to buy more than one of each type, you'd have to renumber some anyway. I only applied the later yellow stripe to one side, purely for variety. The last pic shows the difference in exchanged roof colours. Blue-grey SLC next.

Cheers, Brian.

P.S.  Why does my workbench always look like Vic Berry's scrapyard?  :-)

Excellent Intuition Brian! I logged on to ask this very question regarding SLCs.

One point, should there be any 'first' sausages in the first windows?

Cheers,

Peter C.

I saw on MREmag this morning that the close coupling mechanism spring arrangement has been revised. A piece of wire instead of a coil spring provides the recentering force. Anyone else looked at it? Not having any of these vehicles yet to experiment with it would be interesting to know if this revision leads to less slack in the mechanism as compared to the original arrangement.

I have managed to derange a few coil springs in tinkering over the years, and bodged various replacements; but the revised arrangement looks rather more robust, and it may be simpler to replicate it on earlier models when any damage is caused. Ever hopeful...

Yes, I think you're right Bob, and passengers were directed to their cabins by the attendants.

Here are more conversions on the Bachmann Sleeper, if you take an incorrect roof maroon SLSTP and swap roofs with a correct roof blue-grey SLSTP, you can quite easily create a blue-grey SLC and another corrected maroon SLSTP second. (btw, the TP bit doesn't refer to a tent, but 'T' is for twin bunk, 'P' is for pantry, in the attendant's compartment). Taking one more incorrect maroon SLSTP, it's easy to change the identity and add '1's to all four corner doors, to produce a SLF (Sleeper First) in original maroon livery, without yellow stripe. The SLC (Sleeper Composite) is numbered as W2409 on my dodgy bootleg converted B5 bogies, the SLF in original livery is now E2056/W2063 on BR bogies.

Don't forget, short roof ducts on SLC and SLF, long roof ducts on SLSTP and SLE.

Cheers, Brian.

post-298-0-15964700-1376952828.jpg

post-298-0-17945800-1376952846.jpg

post-298-0-50038100-1376952864.jpg

post-298-0-56592000-1376952895.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I saw on MREmag this morning that the close coupling mechanism spring arrangement has been revised. A piece of wire instead of a coil spring provides the recentering force. Anyone else looked at it? Not having any of these vehicles yet to experiment with it would be interesting to know if this revision leads to less slack in the mechanism as compared to the original arrangement.

I have managed to derange a few coil springs in tinkering over the years, and bodged various replacements; but the revised arrangement looks rather more robust, and it may be simpler to replicate it on earlier models when any damage is caused. Ever hopeful...

Dear All

These are my photos as referred to in the above MREmag posting. An added bonus is that the coupler pockets now seem to align directly with Hornby stock.

Many thanks to Brian Kirby for the advice on making the 2nd into an SLC - nice!

Brian Macdermott

post-10942-0-20170500-1376994999_thumb.jpg

post-10942-0-33847000-1376995031_thumb.jpg

IPA on cotton wool buds.  Test it on the inside panel first to make sure it doesn't attack the plastic as products might vary.

Thanks  - I'm not sure what IPA is though?

Just found it - Isopropyl alcohol?

I'm planning on doing the SLC conversion that Brian Kirby detailed at post #210 however, I'm hitting a brick wall in identifying the regional allocations of the SLCs in the production series 2400-2454. I'm looking for any Midland Region allocated SLC stock, particularly one later in the production that would have been fitted with Commonwealth bogies.

I'd be grateful for any info.

Hi Rembrow,

According to my 1962 Kitchenside stock book, M2439-42 were certainly LMR allocated, and another list tells me they ran on Commonwealth bogies. Pretty sure that also applies to M2448-53 as well, not sure where 2443-47 started life, but they were shared by WR and ScR in the 1970s. There was also the M2428-32 batch with CW bogies, but these were built by Metro-Cammell, so would probably have curved rainstrips.     BK

Hi Rembrow,

According to my 1962 Kitchenside stock book, M2439-42 were certainly LMR allocated, and another list tells me they ran on Commonwealth bogies. Pretty sure that also applies to M2448-53 as well, not sure where 2443-47 started life, but they were shared by WR and ScR in the 1970s. There was also the M2428-32 batch with CW bogies, but these were built by Metro-Cammell, so would probably have curved rainstrips.     BK

Brian

Really helpful, many thanks for the info

Terry (rembrow)

I'm planning on doing the SLC conversion that Brian Kirby detailed at post #210 however, I'm hitting a brick wall in identifying the regional allocations of the SLCs in the production series 2400-2454. I'm looking for any Midland Region allocated SLC stock, particularly one later in the production that would have been fitted with Commonwealth bogies.

I'd be grateful for any info.

If you gave an approx. year this would help a bit more.

OzzyO.

The yellow stripes applied to both blue and maroon SLFs are a bit on the heavy side, so i've drawn a thin black line along the bottom edge of the stripe, on the lower coach shown here. Now of course, these stripes were painted on top of the original lining, sometimes they completely covered the original, sometimes you could still see part of the lining.One coach has also been re-bogied with Commonwealths, the other with bootleg B5, which a few SLF gained before their repaint to blue-grey, some could also have gained maroon ends?

post-298-0-69701700-1377203165.jpg

My old Southern Pride sleepers are now withdrawn and ready to enter the firing tunnel, well not really, everything gets torn apart and rebuilt into something else. However i do possess four pairs of accurate Comet sleeper sides (seen loose below), so i can replate four bodies with these and maybe give them maroon ends with the later style intake. You can see below, how inaccurate the SP sides are, apart from the wrong shape of windows, even the spacing is wrong here and there. How infuriating . . . .(gnashes teeth) BK

post-298-0-97038700-1377203179.jpg

post-298-0-53547900-1377203208.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm presently working on some Blue/Grey Sleeper SLC conversions. According to the Mk1 Parkin book  2424-6 and 2443/4 were ScR allocated.  Anyone know if these coaches carried Sc or SC prefix's or other ? and also the type of bogies they ran on, prior to final withdrawal ?

TIA

Ken

• RMweb Premium

according to longworth mk1&mk2 book, all were on CW. 2424-6 were built with BR1 bogies, but gained CW by 6/79 at the latest (ref. 1979 P5 book) 

all listed as SC (presumably SC not Sc)

2444 withdrawn in '81, 2426 10/82, 2424 2/83,  2425/2443 12/83

Archived