Paddington Station Layout

Chris.D

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

I am currently looking at the track layout for Paddington Station before the electrification, around the late 80's/90's period. In particular, I am looking at the parcel platform, 1A, seeing how this is accessed from the mainline and also the short siding, which was later used for loading the motorail vehicles.

From the various pictures I have managed to obtain, this part of the station is normally obscured by the train, which is being photographed. However, from what I have managed to find, it seems to be confusing matters. From photos it appears that the track around this area has been adjusted and simplified, with the removal of several slips.

From the book I have been using, Britain's Rail Super Centres London - The Great Western Lines, the most recent track plan they have for Paddington, is dated for 1957, which is showing different from some pictures in the book of this area.

Am I right in thinking that the certain areas of the track work on the approach to the station has been simplified over the years, as the pictures indicate. Also would anyone happen to have any unobstructed view of the parcel platform and the associated track work for it?

Any help is gratefully appreciated

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Paddington has undergone a number of major remodellings over the years. The first in the 'modern' period was in the late 1930s - when 1A was created out of the old excursion platform on the same site. the next was in 1967 when the entire layout was simplified and higher speed pointwork was provided for almost all connections and there were virtually no slips in that new layout - which also saw the introduction of MAS, controlled from Old Oak Common. The most recent remodelling was in the early 1990s when the layout was modified for Heathrow Express plus it was due for major renewal and this saw even higher speed pointwork introduced than had been provided in 1967.

Great Western Journal has run quite a long series on Paddington covering the period up to the early 1960s. The 1967 layout can be found here http://www.signallin...bourne Park.pdf while most of the staging notices for 1992/3 can be found here http://www.signallin....uk/notices.php

Edit to correct typos

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the information there Mike, it has confirmed my suspicion that it was altered. The 1967 layout that you have provided is exactly what I was after, with it detailing the track layout and a bonus of showing the positioning of the signals.

Nidge, thanks for posting the link to your photos, some interesting shots of the parcel platform and the relevant buildings. That would be great if you could get more imagines.

Thanks for the help

Chris

• RMweb Premium

It can't be done now but 1A used to be used (and at times was even scheduled to be used) as a relief passenger platform. Summer Saturday extras would start there after the hordes had trooped all the way down from the Lawn with their bags and muttering under their breath about "walking to Newquay" or some such. Evening peak services used it occasionally. For precisely those reasons it gained the platform number 1A rather then remaining anonymous.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the information and pictures.

Your picture Steve, will be useful with working out where the points lie with regard to the platform and the other lines.

There was me thinking it was just used for parcel traffic, but very interesting to know and could add to some interesting operations at times.

Cheers

Chris

Chris - it was also used when the Old Oak - Padd staff minibus was out of action and a light engine was used in it's place, it was a convenient place for the loco to arrive and depart from without blocking any of the other platforms.... you could just have a loco turn up, hang around for a short while then depart again (all day long if you like).

• RMweb Gold

Chris - it was also used when the Old Oak - Padd staff minibus was out of action and a light engine was used in it's place, it was a convenient place for the loco to arrive and depart from without blocking any of the other platforms.... you could just have a loco turn up, hang around for a short while then depart again (all day long if you like).

But make sure both cabs are jammed full of suitable model figures!

Oh yes.... and make sure a card school is in full progress in the rear cab too! These 'minibus' light engines were always double manned, with the driving usually split between the two, the driver worked it up to Padd and the secondman worked it down to Old Oak.... oh, and the engine and carriage line 'flyover' between Ladbroke Grove and Scrubs lane bridges was certainly appropriately named in those days, with no Q-Tron fitted aboard our 08s, 31s, 47s or 50s..... happy days ;)

By the way Chris, if you haven't already done so I'd suggest getting yourself a copy of John Vaughan's 1982 softback 'This Is Paddington', there are some very nice photos in it...

post-7638-0-34989200-1342525096_thumb.jpg

Archived