Great Western Societys 47xx Project

• RMweb Gold

Whilst browsing the net for something else I came across this site and project I wasn't aware of for the build of the very handsome loco the 47xx.

http://www.knowles-c...own.co.uk/4709/

Although the chances of a rtr model of one of these beasts is slim , if theres a preserved one built it would bring to the attention of everyone what a underated engine these were.Incidently they had one at Laira in 46 but I don't know what traffic it was used for.

Lets hope both come to fruition.

Shed corrected.

These were indeed lovely looking loco's, the nearest I have come to seeing one is on the miniature line at Kidderminster station on the SVR. 7 1/2" gauge I think.

If they do finish the replica then hopefully it will be allowed across the bridge into Cornwall, which they were denied in steam days. I wonder how it will fare in the "Wow" factor compared to Tornado.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

These were indeed lovely looking loco's, the nearest I have come to seeing one is on the miniature line at Kidderminster station on the SVR. 7 1/2" gauge I think.

If they do finish the replica then hopefully it will be allowed across the bridge into Cornwall, which they were denied in steam days. I wonder how it will fare in the "Wow" factor compared to Tornado.

Ed

The only thing that may prevent it going parts foriegn would be the curvature of the approach and exit viaducts, weight no longer being the issue as they let the Kings across these days which have a slightly heavier axle loading.

SS

I have been aware of this project for a while but I agree it will be great to see one of these beasts. While I am glad that so many GWR locos are preserved, I feel it is a shame that neither a 4700 or a Grange was preserved while so many Halls, Manors and 2800s were rescued.

I wonder if they will break with tradition and name it? How about 4709 "Great Western Society" ? :D

I personally can't wait to see this loco, they have always been a favourite of mine. Even though I'm to young to remember steam.

I always like the pictures of a well groomed 47xx at the head of the royal duchy passing Ranelagh bridge.

A finney model is high on my to get list.

I for one won't miss the day this loco is launched in to traffic at didcot.

I have been aware of this project for a while but I agree it will be great to see one of these beasts. While I am glad that so many GWR locos are preserved, I feel it is a shame that neither a 4700 or a Grange was preserved while so many Halls, Manors and 2800s were rescued.

I wonder if they will break with tradition and name it? How about 4709 "Great Western Society" ? :D

I think collett wanted to name these locos after the old broad gauge locos.

Brunel maybe?

• RMweb Gold

A 'Grange' very nearly was preserved but Pat Whitehouse chose 'Clun Castle' instead (having been offered a choice of it or a low mileage after its most recent General 'Grange'). And yes there was proposal at one time (or more likely a suggestion) that the 47XX should carry names from locos of the broad gauge era - I've an idea I've seen a list somewhere but that might have been someone's musings on the idea and not anything of Swindon origin.

A 'Grange' very nearly was preserved but Pat Whitehouse chose 'Clun Castle' instead (having been offered a choice of it or a low mileage after its most recent General 'Grange'). And yes there was proposal at one time (or more likely a suggestion) that the 47XX should carry names from locos of the broad gauge era - I've an idea I've seen a list somewhere but that might have been someone's musings on the idea and not anything of Swindon origin.

I suppose that it's understandable that he chose Clun Castle - it was very early on and there was no way to predict that there would be eight surviving Castles all these years later - but, considering the success of the design, it is a great shame that not one Grange was saved.

• RMweb Premium

Though it may well still be years away from steaming it is good to see a project like this making progress rather than so many of the pie in the sky ones that there seem to be.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I suppose that it's understandable that he chose Clun Castle - it was very early on and there was no way to predict that there would be eight surviving Castles all these years later - but, considering the success of the design, it is a great shame that not one Grange was saved.

Or Hawksworth County even.

Archived