Show us 'yer Lima 47's

wirey33

I've recently dug out two old Lima 47 bodies that I'm planning on using for practise (airbrushing, adding detailing, weathering etc.)

Depending on how they turn out I might buy a Vitrains replacement chassis to mount them on.

I'm interested in what others have done to their Lima locos wether it's a full re-modelling job or just a few subtle amendments.

What went well, what was a disaster, what would would you have done differently ?

It's good to share !!

Ta

SImon

• 4 months later...

I don't have any pictures as i don't have the loco's anymore, but i used to have over 50 Lima class 47's. I used to make them look as prototypical as possible and followed real photo's of each loco.

I added whitemetal multiple working sockets to my Freightliner and RFD ones, etched nameplates and depot plaques where i could (some Lima printed names were bigger than the etch!)

On a couple of them, i painted the bogie frames, buffer beams and battery boxes in gloss black to represent an 'ex works' loco. Looked quite good in my opinion. Some models i had, in real life had silver window surrounds (47474) which i replicated with silver paint.

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but these are examples of some very simple steps you can take to make the loco's look more prototypical.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello all,

Just thought I'd share a couple of images from my last 47 build. I've got another on the go, but it will be a shoveduff and is down to the plastic at the moment, having its windows cut off, in readiness to be replaced with Extremeetchings ones.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/50954-47-550-university-of-dundee-in-em/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/50955-47-550-university-of-dundee-in-em/

cheers

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Great to see some people doing up the Lima 47s. Doing up a Scotrail and Intercity one up at the moment; Roof fan grills, aireals, flushglazing, end detail and new mechanism, either a Diesel-trains or Vitrains. Have Bachmann and Heljan as well, there not perfect either.

Stephen.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone order a 47? I'll get individual pics of them up at some point. They're all Lima, most are detailed in some way, some have been completely resprayed, but all retain their original motors. I'll be adding pickups to all wheels soon too

DSC07708_zps3fcec718.jpg

DSC07709_zps498ba025.jpg

Archived