Norwich to Liverpool St. Anglia 86 + Mk2 Formation ?

• RMweb Gold

Yes, by then we had live sparks as far as Stow, either 309s or 312s turned up, with one set arriving empty from Ipswich in the morning to form a service to London and similarly a terminating service arriving from the Street and then running empty to Ipswich in the evening.

Glad it is useful :)

Andi

• 3 years later...

Just wanted to bump this topic - has anyone modelled a Rake in OO? Following the Bachmann MK2F release I'm wondering if anyone has resprayed the coaches into Anglia? Any guidance would be great fully received 

I'm keen to have a full MK2 Rake for my layout based on Barham 

My rakes are made up of 7 window Hornby Anglia mk2s (1st+2nd class), with 8 window 2nds, mk2 + mk3 buffets, and DBSOs made up from Electra Graphics overlays. Looks ok from normal viewing distance, provide a good basis for adding further details in the future.

Not the best light, but just before the 2 minute mark there's a 'full' 7 coach Anglia set pushing past a couple of times here: 

The 'pull' set wasn't finished at that time, but both engines were standard single bogie mounted motor Hornby models and had no issues with trains of that length.

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/02/2019 at 06:18, Satan's Goldfish said:

My rakes are made up of 7 window Hornby Anglia mk2s (1st+2nd class), with 8 window 2nds, mk2 + mk3 buffets, and DBSOs made up from Electra Graphics overlays. Looks ok from normal viewing distance, provide a good basis for adding further details in the future.

Not the best light, but just before the 2 minute mark there's a 'full' 7 coach Anglia set pushing past a couple of times here: 

The 'pull' set wasn't finished at that time, but both engines were standard single bogie mounted motor Hornby models and had no issues with trains of that length.

Video looks very good! I was considering using the Southern Pride Models MK2 kits but I think for the extra £10/£15 I'm just going to get some Bachmann MK2Fs resprayed. Bring on the MK2 sets!

On 25/02/2019 at 23:07, Southwich said:

Just wanted to bump this topic - has anyone modelled a Rake in OO? Following the Bachmann MK2F release I'm wondering if anyone has resprayed the coaches into Anglia? Any guidance would be great fully received 

I'm keen to have a full MK2 Rake for my layout based on Barham 

No, but I expect that in time, Bachmann will produce these in Anglia & Virgin liveries.

I have read through the earlier posts about rakes & none are as I remember them. I commuted on these from Colchester in 2001/02 so was quite familiar.

I remember them being longer than reported. There were 2 7 window TSOs next to the DBSO. These had higher density aircraft-style seating, being refurbished from declassified FOs. The first of these was the smoking carriage, so the others should have no smoking signs on them. You could mist up the windows with superglue on this one if you like. It would be prototypical!

The formations were around 10-11 coaches, which leaves 4-5 8 window TSOs. Occasionally we would get a short set, which was around 8-10 coaches, I would notice this because I usually travelled in the less crowded DBSO & had to walk the length of the train in LST to get there.

• 5 months later...
On 01/03/2019 at 13:21, Pete the Elaner said:

No, but I expect that in time, Bachmann will produce these in Anglia & Virgin liveries.

I have read through the earlier posts about rakes & none are as I remember them. I commuted on these from Colchester in 2001/02 so was quite familiar.

I remember them being longer than reported. There were 2 7 window TSOs next to the DBSO. These had higher density aircraft-style seating, being refurbished from declassified FOs. The first of these was the smoking carriage, so the others should have no smoking signs on them. You could mist up the windows with superglue on this one if you like. It would be prototypical!

The formations were around 10-11 coaches, which leaves 4-5 8 window TSOs. Occasionally we would get a short set, which was around 8-10 coaches, I would notice this because I usually travelled in the less crowded DBSO & had to walk the length of the train in LST to get there.

Funny you should mention those lengths. I could have sworn back in the early/mid 2000s I'd seen a list of Anglia formations and they were all 10 or 11 coaches (I remember being surprised at the length, especially as I was used to seeing the length of Virgin mk2/3 sets on the WCML at the time). Dismissed it as possibly a false memory or bad info as I'd not noticed any pictures/vids of an 11 coach Anglia rake, but think some of the intercity/pre-DBSO formations may have reached those lengths.

But, when did the Norwich - London LS service frequency increase from 1tph to 2tph? That was an Anglia era event wasn't it? If so, could that have resulted in shorter formations with the coaching stock spread thinner through more use, and less stabled as spares?

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The original 3-window l/h 

Mk3 buffet was the RUB (later RFB), numbered 10001-28. These later became RFM and there were further conversions from HST & l/h coaches (TRUK and FO I think). 

I take it the RUB conversions gained the extra saloon window? I know that some FO conversions retained large windows on the corridor side (instead of having the usual half-height ones)

• RMweb Premium
On 12/11/2019 at 15:07, Satan's Goldfish said:

When did the mk3 buffets get into the GEML sets? Was it with Intercity or Anglia? I thought it was with Intercity but can't seem to find proof of that. Ta.

I believe that upon privatisation, there were still 3 Mk1 catering cars used in the Norwich sets, with all the rest being Mk3 vehicles.

Shortly after privatisation (but before the WCML and XC got new trains) I believe these Mk1s were replaced with Mk2-micro-buffet vehicles so as to eliminate the Mk1s. As a result the Mk1s never got the Anglia livery  even though the rest of the fleet did.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Superb, a proper nb Spoon!

Funnily enough, I've literally just been watching some footage I took many years ago, last knockings of the 86s, Mk3 deliveries, Sprinters & Turbostars and Cotswold Rail Duffs to Yarmuff.

All gone now of course...

C6T. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Superb, a proper nb Spoon!

Funnily enough, I've literally just been watching some footage I took many years ago, last knockings of the 86s, Mk3 deliveries, Sprinters & Turbostars and Cotswold Rail Duffs to Yarmuff.

All gone now of course...

C6T. 

Is this stuff you have put in YouTube?

• 1 year later...

Always fun to resurrect this to see if anything new has appeared ;)

It occurred to me that i've seen mention a few times that the mk1 buffets were never repainted into Anglia livery when the mk2s were, but i've never seen a picture of a mk1 running with Anglia coaches. Also, they ended when replaced with the mk2 buffets, one of @Classsix T pictures on page one shows a mk2 buffet in IC livery with IC coaches rather than Anglia, so did they arrive before the repainting started?

Off topic, bottom of page 1 I mention the MGR + 6x ICI tanks from the list @Dagworth provided. I assume the 6x tanks are TTAs, but does anyone what livery would they have carried?

Cheers all.

• 11 months later...
On 11/11/2022 at 07:20, cairnsroadworks said:

There’s bodyside windows and steps to fill too. There’s probably other things I’ve not noticed as well 😃 no idea how it will work with the vinyls whether they can be done as transfers. Time will tell. 

Well I've spoken to Colin at rainbow Railways and steve at railtec and Rainbow looking the more likely source at the moment. 

• 3 weeks later...