Dapol 2012/3 - New catalogue announcements

Andy Y

Heljan tried that in 00 and it was apparently not particularly popular. The majority of people wanted fully finished models. If people want to renumber then removing existing numbers is not too hard with a bit of care.

The 0 gauge market may be different though.

I was thinking of along the lines of all over green, GSWP, GFYE. and any lines that go with these livery's. The unpainted ones for the mad men (and women) that are out there.

In O gauge you mostly have to build them and paint them as well.

OzzyO.

I don't believe it. The modeller's rule of kits states that as soon as you complete a kit someone brings out an RTR. Dammit I was just looking over my O scale Terrier kit the other day thinking "I really should finish that". So what happens a few days later? Bang! Dapol announces an RTR Terrier. < insert several paragraphs of frustrated profanity here >

Seriously though, Dapol have managed a well thought out strategy to maximize the wallet carnage of as many RMwebbers as possible. Well done. I may have to look at dabbling in some N again, if only to run it on Roundhouse's Banbury.

• RMweb Gold

What a broad range! The O terrier might just mean I get one to run on a mates layout as the Gauge 1 version from Accucraft seems to be defunct as a rtr project.

Very impressive spread that had me briefly tempted by certain N offereings and the GW railcar will be on the list as a pressie for me Dad.

FWIW may i also congratulate Dapol on this news. On a selfish note, its just the 142 and dcc fitted option that's of importance to me, but i have to add im surprised by the amount of new models. From Dave's postings on the class 56 thread i felt a bit of doom and gloom creeping in as he hints of a slackening in demand. That Dapol are confident to invest in these new models is reassuring.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Excellent and imaginative list from Dapol.

The class 59 is especially welcome.

For those anxious about what it might haul, there are ARC and Yeoman PGA hoppers and 4-wheel box wagons available from Farish (the PGAs can be massively improved with the TPM detailing pack) aswell as kits for Yeoman and ARC JUA/JTAs from TPM and Tiphook KPAs from the NGS.

Though I agree the Yeoman O&K or ARC/Hanson hoppers would be nice too!

Cheers

Ben A

• RMweb Gold

I don't believe it. The modeller's rule of kits states that as soon as you complete a kit someone brings out an RTR. Dammit I was just looking over my O scale Terrier kit the other day thinking "I really should finish that". So what happens a few days later? Bang! Dapol announces an RTR Terrier. < insert several paragraphs of frustrated profanity here >

Seriously though, Dapol have managed a well thought out strategy to maximize the wallet carnage of as many RMwebbers as possible. Well done. I may have to look at dabbling in some N again, if only to run it on Roundhouse's Banbury.

Andrew

Need a few rakes of those network rail vehicles!!!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Great line up, well done Dapol. I have a love for the streamlined GWR railcar, and I think I'll give into temptation should funds allow. I hope you upscale the 59 to OO too in due course, I think a decent one in OO would be a real winner for you.

The O gauge gronk is seriously tempting too. Best of luck with the new range!

• RMweb Gold
Andrew C said

The modeller's rule of kits states that as soon as you complete a kit someone brings out an RTR

Did not work for me. (and by the way I am happy with that) Just completed the first few of many clay wagons I need with the cover flat rather than the raised hood. Only issue I seem to have lost my membership no for the n gauge soc to order the next batch.

Dave mentioned some new catenary was in the toolroom last month I think it was, maybe even back in May - does the catalogue refer to these at all ?

on the one hand slightly disappointed with the 00 releases as they dont fit my particular layout/era. Dapol cant appeal to everyone all the time but on the other hand at least my finances are safe for another 6 months so thats an upside I guess.....

Seems to a good year for those modelling in 2mm.

Damm damm damm. Away with you... with your temptation..! Aargh! Here I am trying to focus on 4mm modelling and such a plethora of 2mm and 7mm delights are laid before us.... I'll need a bigger house, more time and possibly a divorce (oh dear) to accomodate that which is laid out before us. Oh my! The pull of 2mm has become ever stronger; which side of the event horizon am I on now?

To summarise.... A splendid selection; well done to Dave and the team.

Now, about that mortgage

Jon

Just got up and headed straight for this thread... what a wonderful list of things to look forward to!

The GW Railcar is a very welcome surprise and is going straight to the top of the shopping list, despite being slightly out of period for me. Very pleased to see the Terrier and 08 in 7mm too, the former isn't on my radar but I really hope it does well. The 08 on the other hand will also go on the list of future purchases - sometimes it's nice to dabble in other scales!

Well done Dave and team, with all the doom and gloom of late it's encouraging to hear that there are still some forward thinking folk around with the nouse to push on ;)

A nice range of announcements there. The Western CAD image is looking rather nice, and the 33 is tempting despite having no proper use for one. A bit out of era, but to my untrained eyes the Pannier looks fantastic. Good to see progress on the Network Rail rolling stock too, certainly 'go anywhere' type stock that'll find a home on most modern layouts.

As for the 59....how long have I been waiting for this. It's nice to see that all three subclasses are being delivered, and the differences between them picked up. There's actually a huge number of differences between the three subclasses, and before anyone says it, no they're not just a 66!

Despite the core work being shifting the Mendips to London and the south east, in recent years the 59s are often seen on engineering work trains at the weekends, and the EWS/DB ones have seen use on various non Mendip traffic. Here's a few trains that could be modelled easily in N

IMG7932-59005-6W37-L.jpg

59005 passes Freshford with 6W37, an engineers train bound for Westbury 30/1/11 (Dapol JNAs, Farish MOAs near the rear of the train out of view)

IMG3222-59201-6Z50-L.jpg

59201 at Fairwood with 6Z50 Eastleigh - Merehead. The wagons had been brought to Westbury by a pair of 66s, and once loaded will be bound for the Swanage Railway 20/1/10 (Farish and NGS Seacows)

IMG3009-59203-6W24-L.jpg

59203 passes Staverton as it rolls towards Bradford Junction with 10 Autoballasters in tow on 6W24 Oxford Hinksey - East Somerset Junction 3/3/12 (NGS kits, Farish RTR autoballaster)

IMG7235-59205-6M20-L.jpg

59205 passes the site of Patney and Chirton station with 6M20 Whatley - St Pancras 9/12/10 (Farish JGA, NGS kit JGA. Ex RMC wagons transferred to Mendip work around 2007)

IMG7702-59206-6B33-L.jpg

59206 passes Callow Hill with 6B33 Theale - Robeston during the period DB were trying to run down the 60s 18/1/11 (Not currently modellable - although TEAs are avaialable, no one has yet done the modern VTG type, widely seen across the country on various workings in at least 7 liveries - perhaps a huge gap in the market waiting to be tapped?)

I'm looking forward to buying a few of these - good to see a manufacturer finally picking up the 59 baton

jo

This is great stuff for N gauge!!!!!!!!! Hope to hear more about additional n gauge signal types in due course!! The most interesting part for my interests is that Farish will have to hit back with a retooled ,all headcode type Class 40 and a 25 (all types)!!

• RMweb Premium

Great to see the Pacer with the early doors.

What are the catalogue numbers & associated liveries?

Re-runs of the Dogfish (olive green) & 21t hoppers would be nice some time...

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Looking forward to the N class 22 and Western. Just one point, I hope the list of Westerns contains a misprint? D1005 in both blue and maroon full yellow ends (a livery it never carried). Exciting times though!

• RMweb Premium

Class 33's CCT's Bubble car, class 50, grampus ....... its going to be an expensive 18 months. Great news from Dapol

I can see Mrs G looking longingly in the Mulberry shop again!!!!

2D-001-003 CLASS 33/0 D6597 BR GREEN SMALL YELLOW WARNING PANEL

2D-001-003D CLASS 33/0 D6597 BR GREEN SMALL YELLOW WARNING PANEL DCC FITTED

So glad to see the 33s announced and if I had the money I'd be buying enough 33s to recreate a late 1960s Saturday morning at Hither Green, but I wouldn't be buying this one - D6597 was a 'slim jim' or 33/2 - it just ain't going to work unless you have another surprise up your sleeves.

Put me down for a Schools and a rake of Maunsell carriages while you're at it.

Great stuff!!

Hi chaps,

Just to let you know there were some errors that crept into the final draught of the catalogue while i was away ill.

This included 3 of the 4 panniers having the wrong running number, the slim Jim number that should be for a 33/0, a 59 with the wrong name, and 2 Westerns sharing the same number but different names.

Obviously this isnt something that can be put right for the catalogue, but i will note all the 'wrong uns' and have an addendum put out on here, our website, with the magazines and stockists once i return from my holiday.

Sorry

Dave

...However I've saved the best 'til last as far as my comments are concerned - a 'Flying Banana' of all things totally unexpected! No doubt a hugely popular choice and it will sell like hot cakes - so perhaps just as well it has a buffet (coat, door, very shortly). At first the idea of doing one of the buffet cars seems odd...

Yes, a non-buffet version might be easier for many of us to justify, but I'm sure I won't be alone in invoking the use of the buffet version on Sunday evening mystery tours in 1935 as an excuse to run one in the most unlikely places.

Nick

Archived