Dapol 2012/3 - New catalogue announcements

Andy Y

One day I'll re do it, along with the 14xx and Ivatt, that's for sure, but in the meantime I have a few ideas and basic designs for a couple of nice workaday small loco's.

So far I think you have done a pretty good spread with some small workhorses like the Pannier and class 22, some mid-range locos like the Class 33s and Halls and the top link LNER Pacifics and forthcoming Westerns.

My wallet will be getting a work out with those new toys. :locomotive:

Hi guys,

I have resisted temptation to re-introduce the M7 at the moment for the following reasons;

It was a model introduced prior to my joining Dapol and I have never been happy with it, meaning I'd like to re-chassis it with modern thinking technology, including a DCC ready chassis, split tungsten frames, and see through profile wheels along with better bogie pickups.

This costs a silly amount of Monet and what with all that's been announced plus 2 or 3 possible surprises the cupboard for the time being is relatively bare.

One day I'll re do it, along with the 14xx and Ivatt, that's for sure, but in the meantime I have a few ideas and basic designs for a couple of nice workaday small loco's.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

With all you have on the go it can hardly be a surprise that you have committed most of your R&D budget, modellers have much to look forward to in all three major scales in forthcoming months.

I cannot disagree that there is a fair spread of models covering different eras and something for most.

As I write this "Lemberg" is running smoothly round my layout. It is a lovely model, and as an LNER fan I am delighted. At last we have a model that captures the proportions and when running the "gait" of the prototype properly. Hovever there is a distinct lack of smaller LNER locos, especially tank locos and it would be nice to think that one of these might feature in your thoughts for small workaday locos as they are somewhat under represented.

For example how about an N2 0-6-2 Tank or following the Terrier and soon to come Pannier theme a little J72 0-6-0T?

Cheers

Roy

Hi Roy,

Well it might be true to say I'm now looking away from the GWR and SR for a bit.

Somethings using our pannier and Terrier technology could be nice, although I won't say what.

Heck, it could even be a proper V2 and K2, but that would be telling.........or am I double bluffing? ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Hello DapolDave,

Firstly to say I'm absolutely knocked-sideways at the announcement of Schools and Maunsell's. It's something I never dared to expect in N gauge. Thank you Dapol!

Am I allowed to ask about liveries?

For example - will Post-War / Southern Region liveries be released first - and then pre-War Southern Railway liveries come after? Or will there be a simultaneous release?

And if the former do you have a rough idea of timescale?

I don't mind either way - but it's handy to know in terms of budgeting / birthday / Christmas lists :)

Thanks,

Mark

Well, undoubtedly a great line-up for N scale, although sadly I have to say more than a little disappointed that there are no additional OO scale diesel/electric era items that we didn't already know about. That said, I am seriously looking forward to the 73, 52 and so too the MLA & MJA wagons, so perhaps I was expecting a little too much?

Whilst on the subject of the Class 73, and apologies if this is the wrong time and topic to raise this, but I am immediately struck by something seemingly not quite right with the front end. To my eye, the lower windscreen edge looks far too straight, or in-line, with the curvature of the front end in general. Studying a few photographs and to me these suggest a very slight upward arc to the lower edge of the windscreen. I appreciate that there will be variations depending upon the viewing angle etc, but even so, something definitely looks too linear with regard to the windscreen area on the initial CAD.

Hopefully these will illustrate my query...

post-5822-0-50779200-1342649415_thumb.jpg

post-5822-0-09245800-1342649430.jpg

post-5822-0-97765800-1342649441.jpg

post-5822-0-45811000-1342649456.jpg

post-5822-0-10949900-1342649470.jpg

Well done Dapol! This announcement is fantastic - for me personally (Schools and Maunsell coaches in N!) and for the hobby. Dapol are to be congratulated for such a huge commitment in economically hazardous times.

But I'm doing my bit; I've already placed an order on Hattons for a Schools . . . and, in line with Andrew C's comment about the law of kits, I've just started to relax about the challenges of the Worsley Schools kit, which has been sitting on my bench giving me smug looks for a few weeks!

- Michael

I'm amazed just what Dapol have announced given the economic climate at the moment - full kudos to them. Being strictly OO I'm actually quite pleased by the announcement of the GWR "Flying banana". Whilst firmly LMS/WCML, I think the early streamline express cars were stunning Art Deco icons and a detailed model will have to find a way onto my layouts.

At this rate I'll have so many endorsements on my modeller's licence I'll have to surrender it to the Finescale and Scratchbuilders Constabulary.

As ever, Dapol are doing well to remain market leaders in the pursuit of N-Gauge modelling excellence.

Look forward to the various releases, and will certainly look to bag myself a Class 59 if I can.

Adam

Also desperate to know what has happened to the Class 21's, there seems to be a lot less variants than previously announced, and I tend to agree with other posters about the seemingly small impact for 00 modellers, especially after the accolades Dapol have received for 10000 etc. The 00 market still is vastly bigger than 2mm or 7mm.

Hi guys,

Just to get back to you on the 21 issue.

No it's not deleted from the range. Merely that the 29 will come first, and the 21 will be developed from that. (trust me its the only way we can do it to make sure the model is accurate).

With this in mind, it was dropped from this catalogue not only because it might be late 2013/early 2014 but also there simply wasnt enough room (even for a picture and 4 lines of info) left in the catalogue.

I know we will be doing an addendum, and in fact we will continue to release addendums as new products or liveries get made that we hadnt considered when doing this catalogue.

Rest assured the 21 will, as i sit here, be made.

Cheers

Dave

Any more details on what the Maunsell coaches will be? I see a 6 compartment BTK which I hope is a high window variant, as the low window ones were very rare (6 of the low-window were built, 92 of the high window, not including the 1935 and 1936 batches). All in all, high window of all the Maunsell coaches were more common than the low window ones.

Although I appreciate, because of their S&DJR association, a low window BTK(4)+CK+BTK(4) set is likely to sell very well indeed, despite there being relatively few of them.

Chris

An O guage terrier looks exciting, although like the 08 it has been done before in brass. It is good to see it coming at a sensible price.

The CAD looks like an island one, will the others have the correct detail differences (bunker, pipework, etc)? I know this can be a nightmare on locos which had a working life of nearly 100 years and were rebuilt by different comanpies several times over.

Good to see more wagons coming through too.

Well done Dapol.

Although I appreciate, because of their S&DJR association, a low window BTK(4)+CK+BTK(4) set is likely to sell very well indeed, despite there being relatively few of them.

On that note, are there any plans to offer 3-coach packs? These sets usually stayed together so it would be an ideal way to get correct running numbers. It would also avoid Hornby's gaff of making too few BTKs in their first run meaning they went for silly money on eBay as people tried to complete 3-car sets.

Hi guys,

As i'm ploughing through the corrections on the catalogue, here are the corrected Pannier ones and codes / running numbers

Please note that the Models details were taken from pictures on the web (9659 for example) or from the Pannier Papers series of books. also worthy of note are the welded tanks and rivetted water tanks, which we are using, and will feature on other production runs.

RRP for this model by the way, is £66.50

cheers

Dave

edit, now thats anoying it wouldnt let me post the details in order

i'll try again separately.

• RMweb Gold

On that note, are there any plans to offer 3-coach packs? These sets usually stayed together so it would be an ideal way to get correct running numbers. It would also avoid Hornby's gaff of making too few BTKs in their first run meaning they went for silly money on eBay as people tried to complete 3-car sets.

I would certainly buy 2 coach or 3 coach packs.

ND204A #6713 BR Plain Black Early Crest short cab riveted tank short whistle plate smokebox number etched cab numbers

ND204B #6739 GWR Green Great Western short cab riveted tank short whistle plate buffer beam number etched cab numbers

ND204C #9659 GWR Green GWR Tall cab welded tank Tall whistle plate buffer beam number etched cab numbers

ND204D #3616 BR Plain Black Late Crest Tall cab welded tank Tall whistleplate smokebox number etched cab numbers

cheers

Dave

... However there is a distinct lack of smaller LNER locos, especially tank locos and it would be nice to think that one of these might feature in your thoughts for small workaday locos as they are somewhat under represented.

For example how about an N2 0-6-2 Tank or following the Terrier and soon to come Pannier theme a little J72 0-6-0T? ...

Distinct lack of good RTR models of small LNER locos, very true. But why duplicate long term available subjects, when there's a vast selection of similarly numerous and long surviving classes? Good tank engine subjects in this respect would be the ex GER N7 0-6-2T, GER J67/68/69 and the GNR J50 0-6-0T's.

At the moment in OO RTR we have the B17 (coming), B1, B12 ( appropriately elderly?) L1, J39, K3, O1 to come, 04/ROD, O7/WD, Ivatt 4MT, BR standards class 4MT 2-6-0 and class 7MT Britannia, Derby lightweight DMU, diesel classes 15, 16, 20, 30 and 40 and at least one of those four wheel railcars to form the basis of a GER section layout, from LNER operations to the end of BR steam. What's missing, big time? The swarm of small tank locos of GER origin,and the two suggested have the great advantage of also being much used off the GER section and as branchline power. (There simply isn't any RTR branchline power for the LNER/BR(ER) territory it's all thumping great main line locos.

As for the GNR/LNER J50, it is such a natural accompaniment to the never ending production of the Doncaster pacifics and other big engines, and all it has ever had is one dire Lima rendering.

All these classes have sensible side tanks too, nice big cuboid spaces to easily hide a mechanism and lots of ballast...

Yes, although Hornby can be forgiven in that many people wanted to make 3 car sets, whereas in reality there were more 4 and 5 car sets knocking about.

There are more subtle problems to avoid. Not only were there only a very small number of 6 compartment low-window BTKs (4 +2 that were technically BSKs), but for the first part of their lives at least, they spent their time marshalled in 6 and 8 car Worthing and Eastbourne sets. Not many people want to model those.

Chris

Archived