"Steam on the Cambrian" my new modular layout

Dukedog

Regular readers of my blog will have already seen most of this, and I apologise now for repeating a lot of what is already posted in the blogs section of this forum.

How ever, I have decided now that Pen Y Bont is going (to a good home I hope) that i would start a layout topics thread about my latest ventures.

My new layout is again Cambrian inspired, this time I am modelling my representation of the Cambrian coast section.

As for a name for this new layout.

Well the layout is not a conventional layout, it will be made up of different modules each module having it's own name and identity.

The diagram below should help explain what I mean.

Each module will be aprox 4ft x 1ft and depict a different scene on each module.

post-6768-0-26809000-1342637404.jpg

At the moment I have one module virtually completed (Morfa Bach) and one module (Penmaenpool MPD) under construction.

Other modules and fiddle yards will follow.

Collectively for now I am calling the whole ensemble "Steam on the Cambrian" for want of a better name.

However if any member can come up with something more suitable then I am all ears!

Just as a taster here is a picture or two of Morfa Bach as it is today.

post-6768-0-58123200-1342637846.jpg

post-6768-0-46568000-1342637873.jpg

Depending on interest shown I will post more pictures of the layouts construction and development.

Cheers for now

Frank

• RMweb Gold

Interest? You want interest? We already know your capabilities, which are top notch, and the pics here only confirm that you haven't lost your touch.

The Cambrian is a delightful prototype, and Penmaenpool, even today, is a delicious place to stop and imagine what once was. Then there's Barmouth Viaduct - hopefully now free of the teredo worm and gribble that left it knackered in the '70s - it's the sort of picturesque railway that has an appeal to more than just GWR enthusiasts .

Yes - more pics, more details, please!

Looking forward to watching this develop seeing as I made a beeline for the Cambrian whenever the opportunity arose. Two observations I hope you dont mind me making.

Firstly the line did not shout out Mk.I coaches in blood & custard except on the Cambrian Coast Express. They were common enough in later days when most stock was maroon, but before then coaching stock tended to be rather parochial of either ex GWR or ex LMS design up until the late 1950s. Secondly, I don't recall seeing black BR Standard Class 3's. These engines came in when the GWR 45XX, 43XX and 2251's were being cleared out circa 1962-3 and by that time the BR Std 2-6-2T's were either unlined green or lined green. No doubt you have looked at their allocations and have found a good reason for running a black 'un.

• RMweb Premium

Frank,

I've "only" been a member of RMweb for 8 months and I have to admit that I haven't looked at your thread before now. My loss. I'll look over all your past stuff - I'm sure I'll find some good ideas!

Cheers,

Jeff

I wouldn't have known about this layout had Dukedog not started this thread. This to me is why Blogs simply don't get the 'publicity' many deserve. This morning I looked up Frank's Blog (via his profile) and found a lot to read from the past that is of interest to me at the moment.

I wouldn't have known about this layout had Dukedog not started this thread. This to me is why Blogs simply don't get the 'publicity' many deserve. This morning I looked up Frank's Blog (via his profile) and found a lot to read from the past that is of interest to me at the moment.

I gave up trying to read blogs soon after they started as I found it impossible to navigate and I still don't go there.

Thanks to all you guys who have either clicked the like button or posted comments

Very nice, what are 3 & 4 going to be Frank?

Hi Neil,

TBH I don't know yet! That's a long way in the future, but I was thinking of a station with passing loop, plenty to choose from along the coast!

Something like Dyfryn or Pensarn would be nice.

As for the other that's anybodies guess at the moment. This thread or blog will keep all up to date as and when.

Looking forward to watching this develop seeing as I made a beeline for the Cambrian whenever the opportunity arose. Two observations I hope you dont mind me making.

Firstly the line did not shout out Mk.I coaches in blood & custard except on the Cambrian Coast Express. They were common enough in later days when most stock was maroon, but before then coaching stock tended to be rather parochial of either ex GWR or ex LMS design up until the late 1950s. Secondly, I don't recall seeing black BR Standard Class 3's. These engines came in when the GWR 45XX, 43XX and 2251's were being cleared out cir.ca 1962-3 and by that time the BR Std 2-6-2T's were either unlined green or lined green. No doubt you have looked at their allocations and have found a good reason for running a black 'un.

Hi Larry,

All noted about coaching stock. I do remember seeing blood and custard coaches on the Cambrian, but at the age of 9 remembering what coaches they were is something else!

I would really appreciate you valuable advice on suitable stock.

My intention is to date the layouts circa 1960.

Having said that, I will use some modellers licence as I still want to use my existing loco stud.

BTW I have only one or two colour pictures of std class3 tanks a couple show black lined livery, one is unidentified and the other is 82033 (ex Barrow road 1960)

Thanks for your help.

I will update the thread later with some construction details and pictures.

Cheers all and thanks for reading.

Frank

I would really appreciate your advice on suitable stock.

My intention is to date the layouts circa 1960.

The BR Std 3 2-6-2T's 82031/2/3 replaced the Dukedogs and were allocated to Machynlleth. All were green. I used to think these engines landed on the Cambrian Section in 1962-3 but it must have been slightly earlier. The Manor 4-6-0's, 2251 0-6-0's, small Prairie Tanks and 43XX 2-6-0's were on freight and passenger work circa 1960 with Panniers (74XX etc ) on the Dolgellau jobs.

Coaching stock in 1960 was ranged from 1920's Collett stock though to Hawksworths with everything in between (except 70ft and red triangle restricted coaches). Ex LMS coaches were also in evidence.

Again I thank you all for your kind comments,help and advice.It's good to know that there are more knowledgeable people here who remember the prototype better than I did as a snotty nosed kid!

OK, It seems that people do want to know more about this project so I will start at the beginning and slowly come up to date.

The concept of this modular design came about quite accidentally, Some of you may of heard of another model railway forum called "Your Model Railway".

Back in 2010 that forum organised an exhibition at Cambourne in Cornwall, one of the features of this exhibition was a modular layout consisting of modules built by individual members and joined together to form one complete layout. Every module being different to the next.

Then last year, yet another forum that I contribute to (MRG) asked members to build a diorama as a winter project, the resulting dioramas to be shown at the MRG members day in April this year.

It was these criteria that spurned "Morfa Bach" as my entry to the diorama project.

It then dawned on me that this diorama could form the start of a new layout.

So there you have it, the idea has started to become a reality.

Humble beginnings.

To start this module you have to start at the beginning, from scratch, from the floor up and so on.

Here is a picture from day one!

6599780141_861809ecf6_o.jpg

The first bit of wood butchering!

A basic frame of 2x1 soft wood 4ft long and 1ft wide.

One of the features I wanted to include was a wooden Cambrian trestle bridge. No kit available so a scratch build from 5mm square pine and coffee stirring sticks!

Here it is under construction on my kitchen table!

6599781235_f92a37961a_o.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention track and gauge!

All plain track is C&L finescale with hand built turnouts using soldered PCB sleepers. Built to 00 gauge standards to take modern RTR wheel profiles.

I was very tempted to go to EM gauge having been impressed by Neil Rushby's Morfa project and some persuasion by Geoff (Sparky) but I resisted and stuck to what I am familiar with and that is good old 00 gauge!

I will post regular up dates from now on until the thread catches up with the present day situation.

Cheers and thanks for looking and reading my waffle!

Frank

I do like to see your "step by step" stuff Frank..... The creation of Pen Y Bont was particularly inspiring :)

Cheers Mickey!

I don't mind giving away my methods and reasons for doing jobs the way I do, Or how i do things.

I just don't want people to think that i am trying to teach my grand mother to suck eggs!

Some may find some of the content boring, but, if what I add to this forum helps others then I'm happy to do it.

Cheers and thanks for your input.

Frank

Guest Tom F

The Cambrian! How wonderful! :)

I have a soft spot for this wonderful route, mainly thanks to our holidays in North Wales over the past few years. Manor's, GWR Moguls working that route must have been lovely to see.

Don't tell my fellow LNER enthusiasts, they would never forgive me! :fie: :haha:

• RMweb Gold

Lovely modelling Frank. I share your interest in the Cambrian however mine will be 0 gauge with Sharpies, a Beconsfield and the like in Black with Dukes, Dean Goods etc in green. I love walking across the bridge and through to Penmaenpool. Its worth going up to the panorama walk for a beautiful view of the estuary. I just hope it will be half as good as yours when I get to build it.

Don

Hello Frank

I had the pleasure of seeing Pen Y Bont and of briefly talking to you at the 2012 Members' Day in Stafford.

I am just beginning the work to extend my Testby DCC test layout (www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55287-testby-to-pwllheli/ ) to Pwllheli (the terminus of the Cambrian Coast Railway) and will be posting details shortly. My layout will be set in the same end of steam period (1958 - 1966) as Pen Y Bont and your new layout.

Your modelling sets the standards for me to aspire to so I will be following your new layout with great interest.

Best wishes

Alan

Yet again I have to say thanks to all who clicked "Like This" or made kind comments.

Most of you seem to be under the impression that I am a accomplished modeller, well, to be honest I don't see myself as anything other than "The average enthusiast" as the Railway Modeller used to say.

OK this evenings post is another "catch up" on the construction of module 1 "Morfa Bach"

Here the bridge as been painted and fixed in place on the layout.

6652848783_e3c0a18742_o.jpg

Note that as per the prototype bridges of this type the rails are chaired to longitudinal timber baulks. I have used code 75 bullhead rail with C&L plastic chairs.

On the "East bank" of the river will be this bridge keepers cottage.

6599783589_2f43b8e7f8_o.jpg

The cottage is a Wills plastic kit and the dry stone walls are made from Wills random stone embossed plastic sheets laminated either side of a sheet of 40thou plain Plasticard.

The coping stones are simply individual scraps of Plasticard of various thickness glued on the top of the wall.

The whole issue was painted and weathered using Humbrol enamels (50 shades of Grey LOL)

Once again thanks for reading and I will post more here soon.

Cheers!

Frank

The story of Mofa Bach continues.......

With the bridge fixed and the track laid and tested it's on to the scenic bits.

Here I have covered the polystyrene formers with news paper and PVA, with a top layer of kitchen roll.

The whole landscape is then given a thick coat or two of "Gloop"

"Gloop" is a mixture of Polyfila, PVA, water and emulsion paint (in this case Wickes "Grizzly") mixed to a consistency of custard and then just brushed on with a half inch paint brush!

Result....

post-6768-0-81623900-1342980524.jpg

Meanwhile at the other end....

Landscape started around the tunnel mouth of "Morfa Tunnel" same gloop only using black emulsion this time ( dries grey when mixed with white filler)

post-6768-0-90434600-1342980577.jpg

There is a start on the rock piles too, I used real red slate (Picked from the front garden!) which is stuck down with PVA and then painted grey dry brushed with a very light grey to highlight the rock patterns.

The scree or small rocks is budgie grit, again stuck down with PVA and painted as per the larger rocks above.

I used Mini nature grass tufts for the salt marsh bit, the east bank has just had it's base of hairy hanging basket liner applied.

Hope you guys find this thread interesting enough to continue. Any questions please ask. I will post more soon.

Cheers!

Frank

Archived