"Steam on the Cambrian" my new modular layout

Dukedog

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Cleanly forgot to say thanks for those super links. Just wish I had access to those pictures a few months ago, my interpretation of Penmaenpool would have been far more accurate.

Frank

No probs Frank, its always the way isnt it.  I think they had only just been posted when I came accross them, and I can't remember how I found them.

Cheers, Dave.

I can't believe how long it's been since I last updated this thread! What with family holidays and one thing or another time to write anything down as been as scarce as rocking horse droppings!

However some advantage of the recent warm dry weather has given me chance to work outside wood butchering and painting on my current project "Steam on the Cambrian"
With it's first exhibition booked for September 28th this year and a date for a magazine photo shoot already arranged I had better get my finger out!

So, what has been done over the last few weeks?

The basic layout is done, almost ready to go on show but was missing one fiddle yard

The "down" fiddle yard has been built, and some improvements made to the "up" fiddle yard. Both fiddle yards being built to the same design.
One thing that was missing on my previous thread entry about the fiddle yard was some way of preventing locos and stock from over shooting the turntable or dropping off the turntable as it was being rotated.
I came up with this idea  using a strip of alloy bent into a large U shape.Heat shrink tube was used to prevent the barrier shorting on the tracks if lowered too far.

With the barrier lowered stock is prevented from rolling off the table.

IMG_1162.JPG

Once in position the barrier is raised to allow entry/ exit of trains.

IMG_1163.JPG

The turntable itself is just long enough to accommodate a tender loco and two coaches,or loco and 5 wagons  which is all I need for operation of "Steam on the Cambrian"
If I wanted to run a section of the CCE though i will have to have a rethink!

So folks as you can see I have been doing something even if i have been quiet!

More updates or stories soon!

Cheers!
Frank

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update.

The layout is now finished (???? are they ever finished???) and has been photographed for one of the monthly model railway magazines.

The layout makes it's very first public appearance  at Telford exhibition on the 28th of September.

Hope to see some of you there??

Some pictures to follow soon.

Cheers!

Frank 

Hi Frank, good to see you at Railex even though you were in a hurry. SotC is coming on well so have a good show at Telford, I will miss it I am afraid as I am at Loughborough that weekend.

Please post some more pics.

Good luck,

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Just popped in to catch up.  Good to see your progress, Frank.

What interesting crew you have....[so, who's going to continue the tale, then...  :mosking:   ]

Lôôk forward to those pics.

Polly

• 3 weeks later...

Last Saturday the 28th of September saw myself and my assistant Jaymes (The new face of Modellers Mecca!) take "Steam on the Cambrian" to Telford MRG's annual exhibition.

As this was the layout's very first public appearance there was always that nagging feeling that something was going to go wrong, I was going to forget something like all the stock or the power pack or some other equally important bit.
No worries on that score i did manage to remember everything.
Setting up took less than 30 minutes as the layout just rests on 4 adjustable light weight steel trestles and joins together with dowels and over centre clips. Not a single nut and bolt required.

Operationally things went  fine, just a few odds and ends to add to the snagging list.
A couple of trees on the Penmaenpool section need some surgery or replacement as they foul the loading gauge on the odd vehicle passing by.

The only other niggle is with just one of the six fiddle yard tracks. There seems to be poor electrical contact between the fixed part and just one turntable track at the Morfa Bach end. Something we could work around but will need looking at before the next trip out.
The Advanced starter signal on Penmaenpool also decided to play silly and started sticking. I have been thinking of changing the operating method from solenoid to servo motor anyway and this episode has forced my hand.

Just a couple of pictures for you.

Jaymes bought along his model of a Ruston Bucyrus shovel on it's low loading truck to add a bit of operational interest.

9996818534_3a34741e9e_o.jpg

"Cambrian Classic"
Little Ivatt 46520 and two ex LMS coaches form an authentic local train for the period modelled.
This consist could usually be seen on the Barmouth Dolgellau shuttles in the early 60's before that section of line closed in 1965.

9996818714_89f6c5a644_o.jpg

The layout seemed to go down well with the punters especially the ladies! Most of whom were more interested in the scenic details than anything on the track.
A couple of prospective invites to other shows were received too (details once confirmed)  so all in all a good show as far as The layout and myself was concerned.

More soon
Cheers!
Frank

• RMweb Gold

Frank,

'Steam on the Cambrian' was very well received at Telford, and it looks even better in the flesh.

We were all very pleased that you felt able to give SotC it's first public airing at our show, and the provisional invites to other shows are well deserved.

Very much looking forward to your Cradley Heath show later this month.

Regards

Richard

• 5 months later...

After a few months of working on my 7mm NG stuff I've finally got my 4mm scale "Mojo" back! Not that it ever went away that much. "Steam on the Cambrian" has it's first outing of 2014 on the 12th-13th April at the Stourbridge Railway Club exhibition, so, It's really time I got my finger out and did something towards that.

Among my latest purchases was the new "Dukedog" from Bachmann. I had pre ordered this from Modeller's Mecca nearly 3 years ago and had decided on the factory weathered version hoping to save myself a bit of work before letting it loose on Morfa Bach / Penmaenpool.

12948920143_45cc385080_o.jpg

As it comes "out of the box" it's not a bad model at all, quite a lot of work and changes seem to have gone into making this model, one of the reasons for the long wait I suppose?

The "coal" in the bunker is a metal casting and easily removed, so this was the second job after removing the carbuncle tension lock couplings and fitting Smiths screw links. nothing looks as good as real coal so the tender was coaled up with the real stuff.Fire irons and pick axe were added at the same time.

Originally numbered 9022 I ordered a set of etched brass plates from Gary Wells at 247 Developments and these were duly fitted to change the running number to 9017.

The factory weathering was a little disappointing to be honest, just a quick blow of track dirt brown from an airbrush.The brownish colour being applied to the frames, boiler and smoke box. Now,this, to me as I remember steam in service, did not look right, most engines towards the end of their lives were filthy dirty but not that colour!

So, out with the weathering powders and an afternoon of brushing on and off various shades of browns, blacks and greys until I was reasonably happy with it. Extra light grey was applied to the front running plate to represent ash from the smoke box that had not been cleaned away 100%.

12948800465_92ea12f28b_o.jpg

The smoke box door was given a touch of "red rust" to simulate the corrosion that seems to occur on the real thing if the door is not 100% air tight and the door over heats with the resulting paint flaking off and light rusting appearing.

A BR (W) lamp has also been added to the right hand lamp iron bracket.

12948800615_e40f02e7b2_o.jpg

A couple of small criticisms of the model are that the front bogie swivels 360 degrees, and you have to make sure it's facing the right way when railing the locomotive, Not a problem if you use the tension lock couplings.

The other small criticism is the chimney, it looks a bit on the narrow side to me, but without accurate drawings or sizes I'm not sure, it just looks too narrow to me. Also the Inner bore of the chimney is very much too small, this is a common fault on much RTR stuff though, I suppose the mouldings and tools used to make the body account for this. One day I will probably get a lost wax cast chimney and solve these last two problems in one go. Sprung  buffers would have been nice too at the recommended price that Bachmann suggest!

Well that's it for this entry another load of drivel from me soon!

Cheers!

Frank

And the Welsh Dragon awakens! (couldn't resist :no: ) I have been watching this thread with much casual interest, glad to see the layout has 'risen from temporary slumber' and I have just become the 50th follower (I wonder if this brings any luck...) That Dukedog looks a right beauty, you've done a very nice job of weathering her.

GJ

• 2 months later...

Being a dyed in the wool steam man I never thought I would see the day when I would turn my attention to a DIESEL locomotive!
OK, so I have built a 7mm scale narrow gauge diesel but that was just a fun project over the winter of 2012/13 not for use on my current exhibition layout "Steam on the Cambrian"

Because of my love of steam I have even been called a "Heathen" by a well known blue diesel modeller who also models the Cambrian lines.
So, here I reveal my very first (and maybe only!) purchase of a 4mm scale diesel locomotive.
12948933503_e3179bc7b8_o.jpg

For those who haven't guessed it's a Bachmann Class 24 in BR Green livery complete with all the faults and inaccuracies. Having spoken to some people who are more knowledgeable about these "Things" I now know that there are a few glaring mistakes with this model but as the saying goes "it's my layout and I'll run what I like"  OR as a certain model rail forum's moto goes "Rule 1 applies"!
Like my RTR steam stuff I never run anything that is straight out of the box, in this case I have fitted the accessories that come with the model to the buffer beams, removed the carbuncle tension lock couplings and added a driver in the one cab. The model was then given a bit of weathering, I like doing this bit and I also like the use of household emulsion paints and Carr's weathering powders. Maybe I like them too much because I tend to go over the top with them sometimes!
As it happens I found a picture in one of my Cambrian lines books of a green 24 at Towyn with the headcode discs as seen below on a train of gunpowder vans heading up the coast to Cooke's explosives at Penryn.

12948933533_cce842a364_o.jpg

The only problem I have now is, IF i take it with the layout to exhibitions, would I have to change the layouts name to STEAM (& Diesel) on the CAMBRIAN ????

Ah well, that's something to think about for a couple of weeks before the next outing.

More soon!
Cheers
Frank

• RMweb Premium

Great to see this back in action Frank.  I have a bit of a soft spot for early deisels, and I'm suprisingly getting more and more nostalgic about the BR Blue period!

The Bachman Dukedog is a superb model (to my eye) but I agree about the factory "weathered" finishes, I find them very unconvincing.  I've even seen some where the sprayed finish looks green to me.

All the best, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I was going to say leave it behind but a lot of younger folk seem to rather like diseasels so you will probably get some more fans. Just don't close the engine shed!

Don

Being a dyed in the wool steam man I never thought I would see the day when I would turn my attention to a DIESEL locomotive![/size]

OK, so I have built a 7mm scale narrow gauge diesel but that was just a fun project over the winter of 2012/13 not for use on my current exhibition layout "Steam on the Cambrian"[/size]

Because of my love of steam I have even been called a "Heathen" by a well known blue diesel modeller who also models the Cambrian lines.[/size]

So, here I reveal my very first (and maybe only!) purchase of a 4mm scale diesel locomotive.[/size]

12948933503_e3179bc7b8_o.jpg

For those who haven't guessed it's a Bachmann Class 24 in BR Green livery complete with all the faults and inaccuracies. Having spoken to some people who are more knowledgeable about these "Things" I now know that there are a few glaring mistakes with this model but as the saying goes "it's my layout and I'll run what I like"  OR as a certain model rail forum's moto goes "Rule 1 applies"![/size]

Like my RTR steam stuff I never run anything that is straight out of the box, in this case I have fitted the accessories that come with the model to the buffer beams, removed the carbuncle tension lock couplings and added a driver in the one cab. The model was then given a bit of weathering, I like doing this bit and I also like the use of household emulsion paints and Carr's weathering powders. Maybe I like them too much because I tend to go over the top with them sometimes![/size]

As it happens I found a picture in one of my Cambrian lines books of a green 24 at Towyn with the headcode discs as seen below on a train of gunpowder vans heading up the coast to Cooke's explosives at Penryn.[/size]

12948933533_cce842a364_o.jpg

The only problem I have now is, IF i take it with the layout to exhibitions, would I have to change the layouts name to STEAM (& Diesel) on the CAMBRIAN ????[/size]

Ah well, that's something to think about for a couple of weeks before the next outing.[/size]

More soon![/size]

Cheers[/size]

Frank[/size]

Brilliant weathering even on the dreaded buzz box

Looks good to me Frank, certainly when compared to this image - https://www.flickr.com/photos/kerryp28/8207220186/in/set-72157632099684586

That's thought to be a Class 24 on the demolition train somewhere between Bala and Dolgellau (though there are many opinions on that in the comments!)

I bought one myself last year, my first and probably last diesel also :)

The weekend of  17th May 2014 saw me taking my layout "Steam on the Cambrian" out to one of our local shows at Bloxwich. Organised by the Bloxwich St John's MRC it's one I had not been to before either as visitor or exhibitor. Only a local show the event was well organised even though the venue was unusual in that the main hall was in fact the main part of the church!

Again the layout performed well, just a small snag on the east fiddle yard power feed that was quickly sorted by my friend and fellow operator Wilf Smith of Cradley Heath MRC.

At the mid afternoon point the organisers announced the winner of the best layout in the show as voted by the visiting public, and you can imagine the look on my face when it was announced that we were the winning layout!

IMG_1695.JPG

We were presented with this special plaque to fix to the layout, and had to pose for pictures for the guy who runs a Facebook page for local news in the Bloxwich area.

10342912_622147237863849_682459137579044

ABOVE.

Yours truly posing for the press camera after receiving the "Best in show award"

10356357_622147657863807_622208248021627

Stan Summers and Wilf Smith of Cradley Heath MRC operating "Steam on the Cambrian" at Bloxwich.

Overall, it was a good day for the layout, operators and myself. Not bad considering that I nearly had to pull out of the show due to personal reasons.

Cheers

Frank

A few more pictures taken recently to add to the gallery.

Burning Brakes! always seems to attract attention at exhibitions.

13925523936_bbef0eba6c_b.jpg

Collett goods passing Penmaenpool MPD
13948629995_6eeb3dfc83_b.jpg

4566 on an up parcels working.
13925524556_4f9ab66102_b.jpg

Dukedog 9017 passes Penmaenpool MPD with 8791 and 9021 on shed.
13495644633_7ce9fe6a17_b.jpg

More to come soon.
Cheers

Frank

• RMweb Gold

I suspect some of the local Black country folk remember going to the welsh coast in their childhood, and you have captured the flavour well. Award fully deserved. I used to find it a real pleasure at some of the local shows.

Don

Saw this at the Stourbridge exhibition a few weeks ago - easily the best layout there!

Sorry I didn't get chance to stop and chat - do you still go to the Cradley Heath club?

Hi,

Yes still a member of Cradley Heath Model railway club, In fact for my sins I'm the club exhibition manager!

If you live locally and wish to come along to see us you are more than welcome.   http://frankc76.wix.com/chmrc

Cheers!

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

After many months of deliberation, sat in my arm chair with books and pictures of the Cambrian coast line I have finally started to build module 3 of "Steam on the Cambrian"

I really need a module with a station and passing loop, the new module was also to fit between the 2 existing modules to increase the number of trains and add some sort of operational interest.

Once completed the layout can be erected either as it was with just two modules giving a layout 14ft long OR with this new module making a total length of 20 ft.

Potential invites to exhibitions then allows the exhibition manager to choose the long or short version depending upon room available.

The prototype inspiration for this module is Dyffryn Ardudwy between Barmouth and Harlech on the coast line of the Cambrian railway.

This was chosen as it will fit the space available without too much compression and it's relative simple track plan.

Anyway, here's the pictorial view of work so far.

IMG_1.jpg

Looking along the passing loop,

In the background can be seen existing module No1

"Penmaenpool" MPD.

This new module is 6ft long as opposed to 4ft for modules 1 & 2.

the reason being that in order to accommodate the loop and be anything near looking right this length was about the minimum I could get away with.

The 6ft board is being built in 2 x 3ft sections semi permanently joined together to form  one 6ft board.

The vehicle I currently own can handle a 6ft long board but that may not always be the case so being able to split it down to 2 x 3ft sections solves the problem.

IMG_2.jpg

Here's the view at the Penmaenpool end.Track is C&L Finescale and the points are my own handbuilt jobs using the copperclad sleeper method.

Rather crafty, I downloaded a Peco 00 gauge 3ft radius point template and used it as a guide for building, adjusted the sleeper spacings to match the C&L plain track.

The Peco 3ft radius point is more or less the same as a prototype B6 point.

Finally, (and this is how it stands this morning)The view from the Penmaenpool end looking to where the next section of module 3 will be.

The backscene board is in place but the front profile board has yet to be made and fitted.

IMG_3.jpg

Working in wood is not my strong point to be fair, so please no nit picking about the wood butchering!

More to come as progress continues.

Cheers!

Frank

Archived