"Steam on the Cambrian" my new modular layout

Dukedog

Following on from the (Almost) completed engine shed for my Penmaenpool MPD module of my new layout "Steam on the Cambrian" I thought about adding some internal detail to the shed building.

To be honest though, I wonder if it is worth it as very little detail will be seen in the Stygian gloom of the typical steam running shed.

Anyway, to pass a few hours away I made these few items.

8105459578_daf5ff0730_o.jpg

Made mostly from scrap pieces of styrene section and Plasticard a few hours produced all these fitters tools and benches.

Sure there are suppliers of most of this stuff and you could buy most of these items ready made in cast white metal.

But, have you seen the prices of some of these items?

Now I'm not tight with my cash but to be fair I would rather use the money to buy other luxuries like FOOD!

This little lot would probably set you back about a tenner bought from your local model shop.

As it happens this lot cost me next to nothing! Just using scraps from my odds and ends boxes.

The fire buckets are made from 4mm dia styrene tube, filed to a taper and a 0.3mm wire handle made and fitted. The bucket was filled with Miliput and set aside to set up.

Same thing for the gas welding cylinders, 4mm dia tube for the oxygen cylinder and 5mm dia for the acetylene bottle. Filled with Milliput and shaped to form the top. A stub of 0.7mm brass wire makes the valve on the top.

The vice was carved, cut, filed and sanded from a piece of 4mm x 3mm styrene section. A 4mm scale handrail knob and Peco black track pin form the handle.

Same goes for the oil can, 4mm x 3mm styrene hacked, sawn, filed and sanded to shape, some nickel/silver wire makes the handle and spout.

The benches should take no explanation. Just scraps of plasticard and a drop of MEK. Handles from brass wire and Peco track pin.

That's it! Easy peasy! Here's a picture of some of the above items painted and ready to go inside the engine shed.

8105459990_da454c3c72_o.jpg

I forgot to mention, I also made a paint can from 4mm styrene tube wire and a dash of paint.

(Look like the fitter is about to touch up a repair to a loco buffer beam)

Also in this picture are a couple of wheel barrows from a Coopercraft kit I had lying around.

So there we have it, a couple of afternoons pleasurable work and another few bob saved into the bargain, This is what I call railway "Modelling"

Cheers for now

Frank

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant stuff, and a lot sharper, I'd suggest, than some of the commercial offerings which really don't stand up to close inspection.

The only thing missing is a manky cup of cold coffee in a tin mug, of course...

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant stuff, and a lot sharper, I'd suggest, than some of the commercial offerings which really don't stand up to close inspection.

Coffee :O :nono: This is a railway establishment in the age of steam - when railwaymen really were railwaymen, and they drank ... ... ... ... TEA

• RMweb Premium

"I wonder if it is worth it as very little detail will be seen in the Stygian gloom of the typical steam running shed."

Ah, but it if it wasn't there you sure would notice. :search:

Guess, now, I'll have to do the same on mine when I get that far.

Nice work. Keep it coming. As they say, it's all in the detail.

Nice modelling Frank

I was just wondering what I should or even if make for my buildings as internal detailing, seeing these has made me want to do as much as possible. Not that it is necessary but it is nice to know that it is there and it seems to make the model more complete, mind you, you do have to think about lighting as well then just so others can see it. Where do we draw the line I wonder.

Thanks for all the "like" clicks and comments on my last post, this one got me going though!

I took this as a challenge!

Not tin though! I used brass 1/16in tube and fuse wire for this.

Quick dab of solder and flux, blob of white paint (It's an enamel mug) and away we go!

post-6768-0-22343000-1351010622.jpg

Now is that 1 spoon of sugar or two?

(must make a 4mm scale spoon next I suppose!

Cheers!

Frank

Another building completed and "Ready to Plonk" on Penmaenpool MPD!

Amongst loads of other jobs I have found time over the last week to build and complete this fine structure!

8128039408_128c64a1c1_o.jpg

Built from Slaters Plasticard with etched brass windows of dubious parentage is this engine men's rest room or "bothy"

Without any drawings I built this hut just by using photographs of the prototype and "guessing" the main dimensions..

One thing worthy of note is the "white thing" above the door. This is an insulator for a telephone line.

A few posts back, Mike, (Station Master) mentioned the fact that there was a telephone line from some where near the point to the main line for communication between train crews and signal men at Penmaenpool box some 350 yards away.Mike commented that he could not see such an instrument on any pictures that he had seen.

It wasn't until I came to build this hut that I realised the significance of the insulator. so, there you have it Mike, the 'phone was inside the rest room!

I still have a couple more small out buildings to make not least the proverbial brick $*!t House! and lamp room.

Then there is a working ground disc, working yard lamps about 20 trees and no end of other little jobbies!

Watch this space for the next thrilling instalment of "Steam on the Cambrian"!

Cheers!

Frank

• RMweb Gold

Frank aka Sucker

Lovely work as usual.

Does this spurt of activity mean you have to get it ready for Cradley Heath's exhibition next year?

If so, you might bring it to our Telford show (I'll tell Nick our EM, you've almost finished.........and need a local exhibition to attend, just to iron out any faults it may (doubtful) have).

Regards

Richard

Frank aka Sucker

Lovely work as usual.

Does this spurt of activity mean you have to get it ready for Cradley Heath's exhibition next year?

If so, you might bring it to our Telford show (I'll tell Nick our EM, you've almost finished.........and need a local exhibition to attend, just to iron out any faults it may (doubtful) have).

Regards

Richard

Hello Richard,

Thanks for the comment. Well, I was approached by a couple of guys from the Telford club whilst I was showing Pen Y Bont at Reddich in September, I said then that "Hopefully" "Steam on the Cambrian" would be finished by then. I hope it is because now P y B has gone I am getting exhibition operating withdrawal symptoms!

Seriously though, at the moment everything is on schedule for a September "go" date. I won't say finished because I never owned a layout that was "Finished" there was always something to be done, either adding detail or improving what I had. Steam on the Cambrian will not be any different.

If Nick wants to drop me an Email then that's fine. You have my email address I believe.

Cheers for now

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see your progress to date (and also good to see you, in person, at the Wolverhampton show , both this year and previously with Pen-Y- Bont). Like many others, I have a soft spot for the Cambrian line. Holidays in this part of the world almost always had the odd rainy day, and folks think that it always rains in Aberystwyth. NO, when it rained, they came to Aberystwyth because they didn't want to get wet on the beach!!

You have certainly caught the atmosphere of the area well and I look forward to seeing further progress. Happy modelling.

Terry D

Its been a week or two since I did an update to "Steam on the Cambrian" but to be fair there's not much been done to update on!

Readers of my blog will know that most of my modelling time has been spent working on a couple of old K's loco kits.

Just for those who don't bother reading the blogs section of this forum (You are missing a great deal of good stuff) here's a picture or two from my blog.

8193112341_4c416d578a_o.jpg

I have deliberately included this picture here because the "Dukedog" 9021 will be one of the locos to be seen running on this new layout of mine.

(9021 is the loco at the rear of the picture fitted with top feed apparatus which only a few members of the class had fitted)

On the layout all I have to show are a couple of working electric yard lamps. (Yes they even had electricity in rural Wales!)

8128039208_352eb2619f_o.jpg

Knocked up from a bit of brass tube, rod, washers a bit of body filler and a grain of rice bulb, Not 100% accurate but it will give the pedants some thing to rave about and they cost me next to nothing to build.

I'm hoping to "Get my finger out" in the new year once these locos are finished so don't expect too many posts here till then.

I already have exhibition managers pushing me to commit but I'm not rushing the job and spoiling anything already finished.

More as and when.

Cheers

Frank

Good to catch up and have a read Frank, Things are looking good and I love that Loco Shed, all the best Andy. P.S. Did you sell Pen Y Bont?

Hello Andrew

Thanks for your comments, Yes, Pen Y Bont has found a new home!

A member of Cradley Heath Model railway club has taken custody of it. I shall probably still be seen with it when he needs my help at exhibitions and so on.

Hi Frank,

Just found this forum, yours is a truly inspirational layout. I will look forward to reading more.

Regards Frank (also)

Hello Frank,

Thanks for your comment and I am glad you like what you see.

I just noted that your comment was your first post here on RMWeb, so, May I welcome you to the "Madhouse"! hope you enjoy the forum.

cheers

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

Christmas is fast approaching time to get the trees out!

No, not THE Christmas tree,but, my model trees being made at Christmas!

I'm going to need quite a few trees and bushes for my second Cambrian module Penmaenpool MPD.

To buy ready to plant trees from Wooland Scenics or Treemendus would cost a small fortune so it's down to me to make some.

The method I've always used is the twisted wire method but this takes a long time to make each individual tree. What was needed was a quick and easy way of making trees

I picked up some Woodland Scenics plastic armatures from my local model shop. These were intended to be used individually to make trees approx 2 inches high. (not very big in 4mm scale) so I came up with this idea.

post-6768-0-26514400-1356172456.jpg

The trunk of the tree is a length of 4mm dia plastic or brass tube. The branches from the Woodland Scenics kit being glued to the trunk with cheap super glue. I chose the branches to suit as I went along.

The next stage is to form the trunk proper using Milliput epoxy putty smoothed with water.

post-6768-0-70675600-1356172460.jpg

Once the Milliput has set, usually overnight, The trunks were painted using Humbrol 66 dark grey.(matt)

This takes the plastic look away from the branches and covers the Milliput OK too.

post-6768-0-39056700-1356172465.jpg

Finally, once the paint is dry, The foliage is added. I used a "Greenscene" foliage mat for this one but, again Woodland Scenics do something similar.

post-6768-0-09385100-1356172474.jpg

That's it! OK they are not up to Pendon standard but, as I need so many for this layout I can easily plant some better ones towards the front with these behind to bulk up the wooded areas.

With that I will take this chance to say Merry Christmas to all my readers, I hope you all have a great time around your own Christmas Trees!

Cheers

Frank

Having a break from Loco and rolling stock construction over the festive season so wanting something to do I set the Penmaenpool MPD module up in my shed and have spent a happy hour or two making some progress with it.

The embankments on both sides have been built. I used the lattice cardboard method covered with about 4 layers of shredded news papers. On top of that is two coats of "Gloop".

Here's a view along the length of the layout showing the embankments.

post-6768-0-72759300-1356721856.jpg

A start has also been made on painting the track. Here the sleepers have been given a coat of Railmatch "Sleeper Grime"

And, here's the view from the other direction,

post-6768-0-14676200-1356722122.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality but, I was using the camera hand held with a slow shutter speed (1 second) and I have a bit of camera shake! The lighting in the shed is just a 4ft fluorescent and it's not really in the right place fro photography!

Both these pictures are taken from the "operators" side of the layout so is not the view the punters will see! The big "hole" is where the down advanced starter signal goes. The buildings (L to R) are Grounded Van body, Lamp hut, Enginemen's mess room, Coal stage, Water tank and Fitters office.

Two working yard lamps have also been installed.

The shed building has been temporarily removed so I can add the interior detail and so on.

I hope I can get a bit more done over new year before getting back to the "Two Dogs" project!I need to get a move on because I already have exhibition invites to take it to!

CheersFrank

Unusual for me to post two days running but, more progress has been made on the Penmaenpool MPD module.

Once the "gloop" had dried overnight, a base layer of the ubiquitous hanging basket liner has been glued down ready for more scenic material to be added over the top of it.

These pictures show work in progress from the viewing side of the module.

post-6768-0-25583700-1356809759.jpg

Also note that the advanced down starter signal has been permanently installed, wired and tested (more about that in a future post) the signal has also been blended in to the scene by even more "gloop"!

Also visible in this picture are the engine men's rest room (Bothy) lamp hut and grounded van body (Pway dept) along with one of the working yard lamps.

post-6768-0-25289600-1356809764.jpg

In this picture,The coal stage, water tank and fitters office along with more hanging basket liner!

Note that the rails on the running line have been rusted and ready for ballast.

The yard tracks and turnout has been well and truly "blended in" with more "Gloop" I was going to use DAS clay as per Chris Nevard but Gloop is good!

The 3 plank wagon is there to check that all flangeways are clear after the Gloop was applied.

For the curious, "Gloop" is a mixture of Pollyfilla, PVA, Water and black emulsion paint. (You can use other colours). Mixed to a consistency of porridge and applied with a half inch paint brush. Most of the layout has been covered with about 4 coats of the stuff! Great stuff it is too,if you like playing with mud pies! It dries hard and if chipped won't show white like Pollyfilla alone would do.

Any time available for work on the module over the next day or two will be spent ballasting the running line.

I love ballasting, time consuming I know but I find it very therapeutic!

Another update as and when.

Cheers to all thanks for reading and happy new year!

Frank

Archived