Dapol - Class 26/27 to 2FS

Scottish Modeller

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Anyone done anything about converting the N Gauge model to 2FS yet?

I'm hoping to have some spare wheelsets shortly which will allow me to ewxplore the possibilities.

More info required before I commit to chopping up the model!

Thanks

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure on the space available within the bogie sides but would the Dapol wheelsets withstand the wheel reprofiling process?

I've had the wheels done on a Farish 04 and they were fine but I think the Dapol axles may be a different design. If they could be reprofiled is there enough space in between the bogie sides to get them back in?

Cheers

Martin

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure on the space available within the bogie sides but would the Dapol wheelsets withstand the wheel reprofiling process?

I've had the wheels done on a Farish 04 and they were fine but I think the Dapol axles may be a different design. If they could be reprofiled is there enough space in between the bogie sides to get them back in?

Cheers

Martin

Gordon Solloway is well experienced in doing the stub wheels as found on Dapol and Kato/Atlas locos. The axle points have to be readjusted to the correct length using a tube to avoid damaging the pinpoint, and enough taken off the front face to avoid it fouling the pickup strips. I had some Atlas ones done years ago - they were the first we had tried using this technique - and they just about fitted in without any front face work.

Chris

I converted a Dapol 26 to 2FS using the 2mmSA wheel reprofiling service - no problems whatsoever - several other members have done so. I wrote some notes on disassembling the chassis here but didn't have the turned-down wheelsets at that stage; however they went in without any difficulty.

Graham

• 1 year later...

No change as far as I am aware - you will need to send the wheels away for reprofiling. However, spare geared wheelsets are available from DCC Supplies, who handle the Dapol spares service now, so you could purchase a set to be turned-down to 2FS and retain the originals if you should ever want to return to N.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

No change as far as I am aware - you will need to send the wheels away for reprofiling. However, spare geared wheelsets are available from DCC Supplies, who handle the Dapol spares service now, so you could purchase a set to be turned-down to 2FS and retain the originals if you should ever want to return to N.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Just ordered some...

Just need to renew my 2FS membership to use the reprofiling service!

Thanks

Archived