• RMweb Gold

Just about ready for the paint shop.

post-16241-0-70397800-1362638322_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-68191200-1362638360_thumb.jpg

I'll have to wait until the weather warms up a bit first, having spent all this time on it I don't want to do a poor paint job.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great job, did he/she ever get finished?

Hi Tom

No, still awaiting the paint shops. I'm waiting for a nice still, warm day to coincide when I have the time to spray it.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan, only just come across this thread, can't believe I've missed it until now.

That's the trouble with this forum, there's just too many interesting threads.

Lovely job you've made of the Black Five, can't wait to see it painted.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well it's a slow job but here she is with a coat of black taken outside just before a thunder storm broke.

post-16241-0-19552200-1375459106_thumb.jpg

A bit of touching up to do and treatment for the rods etc then numbers to be applied.

Well it's a slow job but here she is with a coat of black taken outside just before a thunder storm broke.

attachicon.gifA.jpg

A bit of touching up to do and treatment for the rods etc then numbers to be applied.

Looking nice, but I think that you have a bit more work to do on her, before you can say she's finished.

The front end looks to be low.

The cylinders look about right, but the slide bars are pointing down to the floor. The C/L of the cylinder and slide bars should bisect the centre of the centre driving wheel. As you can see in the photos below. The first one is of a Jub. but you can still see what I'm saying.

post-8920-0-32599100-1375461251_thumb.jpg

This ones of a black 5, and it's still the same,

post-8920-0-62422700-1375461501.jpg

OzzyO.

Exquisite, Jonathan. But I'm with OzzyO, I'm afraid. The vertical offset (cylinder centre line from driving wheel centre on the side elevation) on your lovely model is, however, ever so slight - perhaps 1.5mm too low at most: there should be no such offset as the cylinder centre line should intersect the driving wheel centre at an inclination of 1 in 24. The problem may lie in the fact that your cylinder and slidebars (at least on the left hand side as shown) don't seem to be on a common axis; the slidebars do, in fact, seem to droop a little meaning that the piston rod exits the stuffing box at a slight angle to the cylinder cover, not perpendicularly. So a tweak of the tail end of the slide bars upwards (along with the support bracket) may resolve the issue.

I hope this has been of help, but please feel free to ignore it!

Cheers,

BR(W).

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, I found time to add a bit more to the livery

post-16241-0-62233000-1377631477.jpg

The slide bars have had a tweak and hopefully are nearer to where they should be. The front end was low on the last picture (#180)as the bogie was not fitted with its plungers and springs which, when fitted, return the front end to the correct height and as prototype carry some of the engine's weight. Notice though, I haven't screwed the bogie fixing screw in far enough in the photo above. If anything the front end is a little too high (0.5mm), but I have not added any weight to the boiler yet and some will be need to aid adhesion. Photos are cruel and show things that you ordinarily miss.

post-16241-0-60343500-1377631496.jpg

post-16241-0-84400500-1377631518_thumb.jpg

The buffer beam seems to have been bent up when fitting the coupling. The Markit's one is too big but will be replaced if I can find something smaller. The front windows still need glazing and the sand pipes have to be fitted, as well as the cab doors, but these may have to wait until I am ready to put the loco into service. That "8" looks too low on the rhs cabside too. There's also a hole above the last hand rail knob on the rhs that needs filling. The rear wheel crank pins want trimming too and the usual paint touch-ups here and there.

• 9 months later...

Epic loco, Jonathan. Has she been finished and put into service?

I would not dare to publish such close ups of my re-wheeled Hornby Black Five! I also have a Gibson kit for a Black Five, which I doubt will ever get built, given the general excellence of the Hornby version. Life's too short!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian, she is awaiting my building of Derwent before she can have a decent run. She performs well enough on the rolling road but still needs to be run-in on DC before conversion to DCC. There are several little jobs to sort before she in finally finished, front bogie, motion treatment and windows.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Request for help

I'm building and early version from a brassmasters kit.

The early Fives had a different drop arm off the crosshead. I didn't realise and have lost one. this is part C10 and I was wondering if anyone has a spare lying about that they didn't use

Thanks 
Philbax

post-8340-0-87598500-1456574161_thumb.jpg

Request for help

The early Fives had a different drop arm off the crosshead. I didn't realise and have lost one. this is part C10 and I was wondering if anyone has a spare lying about that they didn't use

Thanks 

Philbax

I may have one: It's in Derby and I am in Bangkok, but I will be home tomorrow so give me a day or two and I'll look.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Request for help

Thanks 

Philbax

Phil,

Brassmasters will be able to help, I lost a part too and they were able to provide a replacement.

They'll be at Scalefour North.

Mark

Sorry: it completely slipped my mind: back again in 10 days. I will add have added it to my list of things I need to do when home.

OK David, As for contacting Brassmasters I have already done that but they couldn't help

OK David, As for contacting Brassmasters I have already done that but they couldn't help

Phil,

You're very welcome to the ones out of my latest kit, as I'm doing one with the later type.

Contact me with a PM.

Regards,

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Phil,

You're very welcome to the ones out of my latest kit, as I'm doing one with the later type.

Contact me with a PM.

Regards,

Dave.

ALL SORTED GUYS THANKS TO DAVE, caps lock, . to continue, I think this is ne of the benefits of forums like this

Archived