Liverpool Docks

With Dave's kind permission, I'll make a start on uploading some of mine from the docks.

A new 60022 at Gladstone Dock, now the site of LBT, while being tested for the Fidlers Ferry trains which the 60s soon took over.

4330836190_0cd5d1e3a2_z.jpg?zz=1
60022, Gladstone Dock, 7th November 1990. by Stuart's-Phots, on Flickr

One of Merlin Stevedores Cat 980s has already made a start on loading the train

6654163011_c3bf434142_b.jpg[/url]

• RMweb Gold

With Dave's kind permission, I'll make a start on uploading some of mine from the docks.

A new 60022 at Gladstone Dock, now the site of LBT, while being tested for the Fidlers Ferry trains which the 60s soon took over.

60022, Gladstone Dock, 7th November 1990. by Stuart's-Phots, on Flickr

One of Merlin Stevedores Cat 980s has already made a start on loading the train

6654163011_c3bf434142_b.jpg[/url]

A top notch example there of the way not to bucket load wagons - excellent pic that should be shown to all bucket loader operators. 

The class 60 is on original Mersey docks and Harbour board trackwork there. laid in cobbles. wouldnt like to guess how old it is there, notice how close the loco is to the wagons.

its been replaced now in this area but there is still a lot of it unused around the dock estate.

The class 60 is on original Mersey docks and Harbour board trackwork there. laid in cobbles. wouldnt like to guess how old it is there, notice how close the loco is to the wagons.

its been replaced now in this area but there is still a lot of it unused around the dock estate.

Yes i agree with you.stil track in most places left behind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Be good if things the other side of the river in Birkenhead could be brought back into use, lines are still there.  All those containers coming in by ship, how many of those could be put more-or-less straight on a train instead of earch container needing it's own lorry.  Insn't the Stone Manganeese building empty nowadays, could be used for a loading terminal.

Was talk at one point,about Network rail re-opening the Canning street north dock line,when EWS were stil operating...

Few years back now...

It was on that line where I saw my first ever real train, an 03 with some wagons - in those days, I never considered the 503s as real trains, was only a kid though!  Are the lines part of the Mersey docks or the national network, I wonder?

Would have loved to have been just a little bit older, to be able to see those fab L&Y Pugs go around the streets on the way to the docks in the 'pool.

It was on that line where I saw my first ever real train, an 03 with some wagons - in those days, I never considered the 503s as real trains, was only a kid though!  Are the lines part of the Mersey docks or the national network, I wonder?

Would have loved to have been just a little bit older, to be able to see those fab L&Y Pugs go around the streets on the way to the docks in the 'pool.

The NR/MD&HC boundary seems to be to be at the Vittoria Dock end of Canning St sidings at one end; the junction at the other end is just to the dock side of Birkenhead North EMU depot.

Haven't read it for ages but one of the excellent (and now late) TB Maund books I think had something about the lines around there and the companies could not agree to some terms over running over some of the lines hence extra trackwork going in?

Used to go cycling around there when I was a lot younger, before all the big old warehouses came down.  So sad to see so little there now.

• 11 months later...

Just come across this thread tonight when I did a search for Fiddlers Ferry Power Station.  Some really good photos of a place that I am quite familiar with.  I've seen EWS/DB Schenker, Fastline, Freightliner and GBRF class 66's, EWS/DB Schenker class 60's and Colas and Freightliner class 70's down there on various trains in the last 7 years.  When I go on the docks I usually look whats due on RTT and grab some sneeky photos.  Oh, also seen GBRF 59003 recently.  In 7 years I have never seen a scrap train as these used to run during the night/early morning.  Just used to see the wagons in the sidings at European Metal Recycling.  After a period of domination by EWS/DB Schenker, GBRF trains are now the most common site on biomass from Liverpool Bulk Terminal.

Remnants of the Liverpool Overhead Railway - still intact the best part of 50 years after closure.

attachicon.gifDAS41566.JPG

I've just come across this thread, and I note the query about the location of this bricked up gate. I'm not certain of the location of this gate but, the confusion as to which gate it is may be caused because there was a gate, very similar to the one illustrated, which was on the West Side of the Dock Road(Regent Road at that point?) on the East Side of North Mersey Yard, at the bottom of the slope down from the Seaforth Sands bridge and the Overhead Railway. I think this is the gate Michael was thinking of, however, it is not that gate because a few yards to the right(facing the wall) of it was another gate providing a rail connection across the road to the Langton Dock goods yard. These two gates were more or less on the opposite side of the North Mersey Yard to an Overhead Railway station from where my grandfather took me to see the Empress of Canada on it's side in the dock after it had turned on its side as a result of the methods used to fight a fire on board.

I was brought up in the area and knew most of the old yards very well although some facts(precise names) I would now have to check - it was over 50 years ago. My grandfather used to spend Saturday mornings with us and often took me down to view and go around the docks. I remember the grain silos at the bottom of Strand Road, and frequently visited Alexandra Dock Goods Station in the early evening when there would be a number of outgoing freights to Edge Hill, and also spent time at North Mersey - mainly Mickey Mouse 2-6-0s, and Langton Dock which often saw WD 2-8-0s. I hope this is of interest.

Edited for clarity - I hope

• RMweb Gold

cant believe ive not added any of my pics to this thread!

back in fastline days we used to go down there for coal for ratcliffe and ironbridge, but we had to learn it first, so we took this...

Image249.jpg

Image242.jpg

Image246.jpg

then we took a 56, this is in wapping sidings, the far end of wapping tunnel

Image339.jpg

then the service trains started, at the stop board waiting to get into the docks

Image380.jpg

running round

Image381.jpg

another fastline train arriving, love the fact the lampost is wonky but the attached the sign is straight

Image533.jpg

got more if anyone is interested, including cab pics from a run along the bootle branch

Archived