spellow No1 and westminster tunnels

Image406.jpg

atlantic dock Jn

Image407.jpg

looking towards the old tunnel mouth

Image408.jpg

oriel Rd tunnel

Image409.jpg

signal to take you onto the merseyrail network at bootle Jn, No1 flash towards bootle oriel Rd, No2 flash towards aintree

Image410.jpg

bootle Jn

Image411.jpg

Image412.jpg

dropping back down towards the docks

Image413.jpg

another wierd bridge, on the entrance to alexandra dock tunnel, bootle balliol rd station site

Image415.jpg

and at the stopboard outside the docks, just the other side of the bridge the line diverged to the right to an old lnwr? passenger station

Image417.jpg

first trip to liverpool, the said our work was "tireless" much like our wagons

Image322.jpg

and this was the last time i visited

DSCF6773.jpg

DSCF6779.jpg

A few years I was at Seaforth Container Terminal and was surprised to hear that it was possible to get the train from there all the way to Italy. Does anybody know if this is still possible?

At the moment Seaforth C.T. rail yard is covered with stacks of (presumably) empty containers, & loads of vehicles parked up - vans & cars, presumably for export?

No chance of a container train getting in at the moment, & the only times I saw them, they were only carrying 20ft boxes.

• RMweb Premium

I'm loving all these pictures of the docks.   When my father died I inherited a few shares in the Mersey Docks and harbours Board that had been bought by my grandfather in the 1890's.   Some years later peel Holdings bought the company out and took it private.  To do this they needed a shareholders meeting which was to be held in the dock complex, I think between Gladstone and Seaforth Docks.  Of course this was too good an opportunity to miss so I went along to the only shareholders meeting I have ever attended.  There were active rai tracks outside the offices where the meeting was held and I had to try and concentrate very hard on the business in hand as a loco came past.  That's the only time I've been in the docks.  I did actually get chance to talk to one of the senior people from peel Holdings about future rail freight traffic and he told me that they intended to try and increase it both in Liverpool and also from Birkenhead.

Please keep posting the pictures.

Jamie

Many thanks for those excellent pictures Jim , I have looked at this area for a possible model so have seen a few photos of it in steam days so it was interesting to see what is left. Some cracking bridge shots which would be good subjects for modelling . 

How about some Freightliner Class 70 action?  Very rare, and still in the timetable on Realtime Trains but they did happen for a short spell in 2012 and I was there to grab some photos.  Ignore the default date stamped on the photos.  Some taken on my old digital camera and some on mobile phone.

First 70002 heads towards the loading tower.

post-25512-0-09800900-1450544924_thumb.jpg

post-25512-0-04906900-1450545024_thumb.jpg

Running around its train

post-25512-0-17741900-1450545160_thumb.jpg

Edging forwards slowly whilst the coal is dropped into the hoppers

post-25512-0-55702700-1450545112_thumb.jpg

70010 also under the loading tower

post-25512-0-58785400-1450545353_thumb.jpg

post-25512-0-26824600-1450545374_thumb.jpg

Awaiting departure time

post-25512-0-83942600-1450545427_thumb.jpg

And 70013 

post-25512-0-62748000-1450545470_thumb.jpg

If I remember correctly the trains were to Radcliffe and Ironbridge.  Also saw a couple of Freightliner 66's in charge of these trains.

Big Jim said above:-

"and at the stopboard outside the docks, just the other side of the bridge the line diverged to the right to an old lnwr? passenger station"

Image417.jpg

I think the old Alexandra Dock Goods Station was to the LEFT(almost straight on in this view) of the running lines as they curve to the right. The platforms were at 90 degrees to the "dock road". To the right of the curving running lines was the goods yard proper and the main transfer shed. At least one of the roads passed across a side street and then Strand Road so that bulk grain wagons could be placed under the silos on the East Side of the "dock road". Usual shunting power in the yard was a Jinty, whilst train engines from Edge Hill could be Black 5s, but more likely 8Fs, or LNWR 0-8-0s.

Thanks for the map. From memory, there was a rectangular area between the boundary of the Alex Dock Goods Station and Nelson Street which was used as a wood storage yard. Then, as you moved Northwards there was the old goods station (last passenger train was shortly after WWII, I think), then the running/transfer lines to the docks, then the goods yard itself. For a time I used to spend an hour or more in the early evening cycling between 2 or 3 of the local yards. This was my favourite as you could get really close to the main departures which were from the first two long sidings immediately inside the Western boundary of the yard next to Regent Road - this is the long narrow grassed area in the aerial photo between the site boundary and what appears to be the concrete floor of the old shed.

Colin

Interesting article. The journey time doesn't compare too well to road (at night, at least) but shifting a lot of boxes all at once is what makes the difference, especially in overall cost terms.

Interesting article. The journey time doesn't compare too well to road (at night, at least) but shifting a lot of boxes all at once is what makes the difference, especially in overall cost terms.

If it can work to the West Midlands, then it can work to Scotland, London, the North East, South Wales.... Besides that, it's 'proved' the Bootle Branch for W10 gauge.

• 1 month later...

Archived