SDRM Pickering show

Mike J

The 2012 Scarborough DRM show will take place on 18th/19th August at The Memorial Hall, Pickering YO18 8AA.

(2 mins. walk from Pickering NYMR station.)

Saturday 10.00am-5pm, Sunday 10.00am-4.00pm

Adults £3.50

Concessions £3.00

Child £2.00

Family (2+2) £9.00

Layouts.

World's End. OO(under construction) The only chance in 2012 to see Peter Goss' (Rowland's Castle) new layout based on Knaresborough.

Hollowbeck Shed 1962. O

Wagon Works OO

Moorton Bottom Yard OO9

Computrains (Computer controlled DCC operation explained)

Haymarket Cross OO

Scalby Station and viaduct OO (last show)

Glenngary tramway 1:36

Coombe Martin OO

Trade.

Model Market

Going Loco

RML Electronics

Anbrico Felixjaz

Elmet Images

All Change

Grosmont Book Shop

Demonstrators.

Simon Howard (Ryders Wynd Works) DCC installation

Bob Dawson Architectural models

Charitable Trusts.

North Yorkshire Moors Railway

North Eastern Railway 1903 Electric Autocar Trust

Exhibition link http://sdrmweb.co.uk/Exhibition.php

Edited 27.7.12 Change of layout line up.

Unfortunately Pen Y Madoc has had to drop out of this years show. We hope that the layout will be with us in 2013.

Computrains will fill the vacancy, showing how computer control of your layout may be an option and not as daunting as you might think.

Presentations will be at regular intervals and operators will be on hand throughout to answer any questions you may have.

Edited 27.7.12. (Some text missing)

Hi Mike

Dianne and I are looking forward to attending this years show with the Glenngary Tramway.

Over the winter months i have been busy building a fourth car (June), which will be paired with the third of the original cars (Carli). These 2 cars have never run in public and will be in the green livery the system had when it ran as a garden railway.

Hopefully there will be plenty of budding tramway drivers so we can put it in manual and let them have a play.

All the best

Gary

Hi Mike

Dianne and I are looking forward to attending this years show with the Glenngary Tramway.

Over the winter months i have been busy building a fourth car (June), which will be paired with the third of the original cars (Carli). These 2 cars have never run in public and will be in the green livery the system had when it ran as a garden railway.

Hopefully there will be plenty of budding tramway drivers so we can put it in manual and let them have a play.

All the best

Gary

It's always good to have something a bit different in any show, and a real bonus that the kids (big and small) can have a drive!

Looking forward to seeing the tramway on the move.

Best wishes,

Mike

10 months in the planning, 30 months modelling time so far! Julie and I are also looking forward to the trip to Pickering to show our little 'work in progress' display of intrigue, folklore and architecture centred around the North Yorkshire town of Knaresborough. The World's End!

We are planning to bring the centre area of the new layout, namely the station area, viaduct and castle parts. Although 'work in progress', we hope to be showing a lot of the completed structures.

post-600-0-17609500-1343933009_thumb.jpg

Finkle Street has been relocated from real life to sit behind the station and forms part of the backscene on the left side.

post-600-0-71205700-1343933172_thumb.jpg

Knaresborough signal box, stone built, polygon shaped, sits at the end of row of terraced houses on the cliff top.

post-600-0-37471800-1343933243_thumb.jpg

Some of our figures are having a little walk around the Kings Tower at Knaresborough Castle.

post-600-0-78418800-1343933309_thumb.jpg

Bridge on the River Nidd! The present viaduct was completed in October 1851. The first effort collapsed 3 years earlier. When the third one collapses, the world will end! This particular one has been built on a base of 4" x 1 1/2" planed timber built integral with the baseboard so hopefully it won't be my fault if the world ends. There are some more figures having a little look at it.

I've been a great fan of Petes' modelling for a few years now and was thrilled when he agreed to bring some of Worlds End to our show. Ours is the only show where you can see the layout 'in the flesh' this year, a real coup for us. For those who haven't made the connection, Pete and Julie may be familiar to you as the creators of Rowlands Castle which we were also proud to invite to our show a couple of years ago and we're looking forward to welcoming both once again. This will give us all a taster of what is going to be a fantastic finished model. Thanks for posting the photos Pete.

Anyone catch a glimps of Rowlands Castle on "Eternal Law" a couple of months ago?

Thanks for looking in,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Friday 10th August saw a visit to the club rooms from Phillip Sollitt and Margaret Hill (nee Sollitt) to view the restored model of scalby station and viaduct. The real station holds a special place in their hearts as it was their childhood family home between 1945 and 1955, their father being employed as signalman at Seamer East box.

Both were impressed with the accuracy of the model, pointing out many features which brought the memories flooding back, including their own bedroom windows, the camping coaches and their fathers Ford Anglia car in original colour scheme parked in the station grounds.

Restoration of the twenty year old model has been undertaken by club members Colin Mason, Geoff Ford and Malcolm Maloney, prior to its final show appearance at this years event. The layout is then to be sold off in order to create more space at the clubrooms and all reasonable offers will be considered.

post-7607-0-03306800-1344761945_thumb.jpg

Watched by Colin Mason and Geoff Ford, Phillip and Margaret inspect the station building.

post-7607-0-29039800-1344762013_thumb.jpg

Margaret gets to look into her former bedroom window which overlooked the platform.

post-7607-0-21270700-1344761979_thumb.jpg

Both seem impressed by the accuracy of the model.

Scalby station and viaduct can be seen 'in the flesh' on the third floor of the Memorial Hall at this years show.

Hi Mike,

Seems like you had a good time on Friday & hope they enjoyed themselves. Colin, Geoff & Malcolm have adone a brilliant job restoring it & we all look forward to seeing it at Pickering. On a personnal note have had what has been the most memorable w/e ever and am pleased to tell you that Amy is now married! Great time had by all so now its all systems go getting 'Haymarket Cross' down from the loft along with all the locos ready for the show this weekend.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Mike

Scalby station and viaduct is looking really good following its restoration, have Colin and Geoff undergone the same process (only joking). Glad to hear you had a good weekend Ian, when you get Haymarket Cross down from the loft can you check you haven't lost any seagulls as the Glenngary tramway seems to have more than last time I looked, then again suppose they could be breeding!!!

Only 5 days to go till "Showtime"

Gary

Only two days to go. Last minute details were finalised last night. This year is the first year we are having a raffle and I must say a big thank you to those who have donated some fantastic prizes to the cause. We've also had some great co-operation from the NYMR which is really appreciated, so all of you that are coming along, make a day of it and combine a show visit with a trip on the railway and enjoy a whole days entertainment for around £20...not bad eh!

Edit;-

Tom, if your coming down I think Ian has a slot reserved for you behind Haymarket Cross if you're up for it. Hope to see you there mate.

Tom, if your coming down I think Ian has a slot reserved for you behind Haymarket Cross if you're up for it. Hope to see you there mate.

That would be brilliant, I'll be down on the Sunday.

I'll bring down both the B16s :yes:

Just arrived back home after setting up Haymarket Cross with everything looking ok. Am looking forward to seeing Tom on Sunday with his two B16's which should look great amongst all the other East Coast stock & should also bring back happy memories of seeing them in real life round Scarborough & York. I know I should'nt be saying it but I often would be saying when spotting 'oh no not another B16' they were everywhere! saw them all numerous times & look back now thinking what great locos they were.

Cheers

Ian

Great day, thanks to all for the comments on Haymarket Cross especially the young visitors. Nice to see parents with families enjoying the day. Must be one of the best Saturdays we've had for the show. Thanks to my fellow members for helping with the running of the layout, could'nt have done it without you. Peter Goss's 'Worlds End' new layout which is on show with the most staggerng buildigs and viaduct is well worth the entrance fee alone!

Don't forget you can see it all tommorow (Sun)from 10am so why not come along & meet us all. Icing on the cake was coming out of show & coming face to face with the throbbing monster that is D9000 in Pickering station!!!

cheers

Ian

Really lovely little show :)

I made the trip straight from work today as it's the only time I was free this weekend (and I feel physically sick turning down Sundays!) - certainly worth rushing home and straight out again! And it always seems to be great weather for the show too!

Icing on the cake was coming out of show & coming face to face with the throbbing monster that is D9000 in Pickering station!!!

cheers

Ian

Blooming heck Ian, you had me really worried as to just what was hanging around outside the show for a minute then!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Please pass on my thanks to everyone involved. As usual I had a great time and everyone was as friendly as always.

Bit gutted to be (possably) missing next years show.

Looking forward to the pics.

Cheers

Simon

Back home after what has been a brilliant w/e, really enjoyed ourselves meeting up with old and new friends. Great to meet up again with Tom Foster of York 'Leaman Road' fame who kindly brought along two of his most desirable B16's. Thanks to all who voted my layout best in show it was a real shock & my birthday too! Also thanks to Murray Brown Chairman of NYMR & Peter Goss 'Worlds End' for drawing raffle for some very nice locos.

PICTURE SHOWS L TO R Mike Johnson (club chairman) Ian Harper (Haymarket Cross) & Tom Foster of 'Leaman Road' fame

post-4401-0-60852600-1345409757_thumb.jpg

Picture L to R Murray Brown (NYMR Chairman) Peter Goss (Worlds end) First Prize winner & Mike Johnson (Club Chairman)

post-4401-0-75827600-1345410384_thumb.jpg

One of Tom's B16's

post-4401-0-31267600-1345410522_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ian

Hi Mike,

Please pass on my thanks to everyone involved. As usual I had a great time and everyone was as friendly as always.

Bit gutted to be (possably) missing next years show.

Looking forward to the pics.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon, glad you enjoyed yourself in the oven!

We do hope to see you again next year, but if you have to miss we've reserved your spot for 2014! We'll catch up on the circuit. Best wishes and thanks for your contribution.

Mike

It was a very enjoyable day. Thanks to Ian and Mike for making very welcome and letting me have a play on Haymarket Cross. I'm glad the B16s went down well and if I can make Peterborough, I'll bring the V2 60977 with me! ;)

Dianne and I had a very enjoyable weekend at this years show,we were kept very busy with the trams on both days.

It is surprising how many people have fond memories of cliff lifts .

The tram car Parking challenge open to traders and exhibitors got a bit competative with a

Park off between Geoff Britton and Roland Wood of the SDRM, Geoff emerging the eventual winner.

post-16366-0-67860000-1345491722_thumb.jpg

post-16366-0-70209000-1345492446_thumb.jpg

Yours truly and Mike J Chairman of SDRM being interviewed by local radio presenter Barry Robinson

post-16366-0-60280000-1345492610_thumb.jpg

Two SDRM members Demolish crushed ice drinks following turns on layouts (it was a warm weekend)

post-16366-0-95144400-1345492823_thumb.jpg

Barry Robinson is the radio presenter, Gary. Is there any truth in the rumour that Geoff won because he was the only person who drove the cars from the inside?

Your competitions seemed to be popular and I'm glad that you and Diane enjoyed the weekend.

Archived