Things which annoy you with modelling

• RMweb Premium

Any eBay sale of model railway items that uses the words "Rare" and "Collectible". About as rare as rocking horse hair, usually.

Or "professionally weathered" otherwise known as looking like it's dipped in *** mud.

Cheers,

MIck

Hattons! or more precisely, the fact that when I google the Hornby/Bachmann model that I am after second-hand, the first page is full of links to Hattons for the numerous second-hand examples they had in back in 2013/2014/2015 etc, and have long since been sold, but for some perverse reason they keep up on their website. These I have to re-check all again in case a new one sneaked in there.

Neil

Edited by neilkirby
  • Like 1

When your modelling mojo dose a complete runner, and you struggle to get the motivation back.

Terry

Been there.  Then, when the mojo comes back, I go to RailWells and see Coopercraft selling miscellaneous bits and pieces, buy nothing, then a few days later discover he's effectively out of business.  Oh for some O5 wagons...

• RMweb Gold

Something that really annoys me is people that constantly ask me why I do the hobby then to say it's boring anyway.

This is an attitude which seem, fortunately, to be dying out.  Since re-taking up the hobby a year ago those of my acquaintances that are aware of it, indeed people in general such as the workmen who refurbished my flat, have been interested and supportive. I get a bit tired of 'oh, yes, I used to have a Hornby years ago, still in the attic I think, must be worth a bit, you interested' followed by the hurt expression when I'm not...

My friends are supportive even if not interested, and occasionally offer to help.

• RMweb Gold

2 things annoy me.  Backscenes.  So many fabulous layouts are ruined by dreadfully painted backscenes.  And people who say "If manufacturer X produces a class Y loco, I'll buy 6 of them".  Might as well just say "I'm very rich."

A well thought out backscene can make a massive difference to a model (look at Vopak; one is transported to Barry Docks very effectively though I will not comment on the desirability of such a thing), but need a good deal of skill in production, positioning, and merging with the modelled area, with regard to perspective, lighting, and sightlines; it is not an art in which all are proficient, and I include myself in that.

What I do find a bit annoying is the same backscenes again and again on exhibition models (it doesn't matter on a home layout).  And an alternative to the endless sunny day would be appreciated, especially if you model Welsh railways.  In Wales the only time it isn't raining is when it's about to start raining.

Edited by The Johnster

.....................................................................  And an alternative to the endless sunny day would be appreciated, especially if you model Welsh railways.  In Wales the only time it isn't raining is when it's about to start raining.

When (if ever) I get that far, I am planning to do an impression of a frontal system of dark grey clouds slanting down from the heavens to near earth level to disguise the pitch of the roof.  Haven't got any where near that stage yet, though.

• Like 1

I really hate doing grab rails for rolling stock from wire. Invariably, the bends misalign with the drilled hole just enough to b*gger up a neat fit!

*see also brake gear and pick-ups...

D4

A wee jig is what you need Dave..I'll make you one!

D

And an alternative to the endless sunny day would be appreciated, especially if you model Welsh railways.  In Wales the only time it isn't raining is when it's about to start raining.

I might live in Wales, but have no intention to model Welsh railways. I think the weather may have some effect on that lack of desire :(.

Building that sit on, not in, the ground. Likewise prolific weeds/grass used to cover up the join, when they would have been kept under control. I was reminded of this looking at photos in a recent posting in the Warley NEC thread.

• RMweb Gold

I really hate doing grab rails for rolling stock from wire. Invariably, the bends misalign with the drilled hole just enough to b*gger up a neat fit!

*see also brake gear and pick-ups...

https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=2562&name=handrail-grabhandle-bending-jig-4mm

A most useful tool. A larger one is available.

• Like 1

Yep your spot on with this bending jig.

Couldn't make up Spratt & Winkle couplings without one and ideal for handrails.

Best fiver I ever spent.

D.

Handrails are dead easy without a jig. First off bend one end to 90° next insert into one hole hold pliers between bend and next hole. Slide pliers out until you can just see the whole hole. Remove with and pliers fold down wire and trim to length. No waste perfect fit every time. I bought jigs but spent more time looking for the correct pair of holes than making the way I do.

Handrails are dead easy without a jig. First off bend one end to 90° next insert into one hole hold pliers between bend and next hole. Slide pliers out until you can just see the whole hole. Remove with and pliers fold down wire and trim to length. No waste perfect fit every time. I bought jigs but spent more time looking for the correct pair of holes than making the way I do.

People who think they are a cut above the rest and a "real modeller", everyone else is a pleb.

Sorry, I couldn't help comparing these consecutive posts, even though I doubt there was any intention to make a connection by either poster. "Real modellers" think difficult things are dead easy, "Plebs" need jigs :jester:.

Not so much annoys, more induces despair - YouTube "reviews" of locomotives which consist of either somebody waffling on trying to impress the viewer with his knowledge of the prototype whilst keeping moving the model in and out of focus in terrible lighting, or lots of footage of the model belting flat out round setrack on carpet with the "reviewer" saying how awesome it is and what a good runner.

• Agree 1

Finishing laying all the track, wiring it (successfully), ballasting it, installing point motors, painting/weathering track and thinking about installing scenery and coming to the conclusion that your skills have now improved such that you could do what you have already done so much better leading to being dissatisfied and a loss of mojo!

Presently trying to decide whether to rip up what I have done, recover components and start again with hand built turnouts.......