Scalespeed Controller - Info/Repair/Upgrade

nigcuberail

• RMweb Premium

I have recently obtained an old Scalespeed controller from a well known auction site.

I seem to remember them from years ago (60's - 70's?).

Firstly, can anyone provide any information/notes on these controllers?

(It is not one of the models with simulation - see picture).

Secondly, a quick test shows that it does work, but at low speed settings the

output pulses. There is a 250uf 25v axial capacitor in the circuit, and I was

thinking of replacing this to start with. However, I cannot find any 250uf.

Would a 470uf be suitable?

Thirdly, I assume I can replace the old metal rectifier with a new silicon

bridge type?

post-911-0-64641400-1343046702.jpg

post-911-0-64641400-1343046702.jpg

I also think these gave pulse width modulation (PWM) at lower outputs if not all the way up to full output. Nearest preferred value of capacitor these days would be a 220uF most electrolytic capacitors having a tolerance of +/- 20%. If you replace the old rectifier (Selenium Plate?) one with a modern bridge rectifier I would suggest you make sure the capacitor is rated at at least 35V as the voltage drop of the modern bridge will be lower than that of the selenium one. A higher voltage rating than 35 will not do any harm. A photo of the underside of the controller would be useful to identify the components and enable further comments regarding operation.

Regards

Mike

Hi

First of all - it looks as though you have one of the models with simulation/delay - these types had two switches - one for forward/reverse and the other for simulation/delay.

Scalespeed is still in business - I think now run by the son of the founder. The controllers are no longer manufactured, nor are any specific parts such as the regulator handle available.

Web site at:

http://www.scalespeed.co.uk/

Regards.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Stewart, Mike, Bill & even Tim!

No seriously & firstly thanks for that information.

So, the pulsing on the voltmeter could be PWM then? - good.

The two switches could mean simulation - excellent!

I found the website but was dissapointed not to find any references to their OLD products.

Now, the reasons for nabbing this little beauty (sorry Tim V) were:

1. I run DCC, but I wanted/needed a sensible DC controller for my test track (I built a basic circuit controller from an internet article running through the MERG voltmeter & ammeter).

2. I remember Scalespeed from when I was modelling in my youth.

3. I reckon it looks "awesome" and the components are almost antique!

I will post a picture of the underside in a day or so.

Funny you should say that you wanted a basic controller. I have been experimenting.

I normally use an ancient H&M Powermaster, but then I connected a DCC chip between my DCC controller and the test track and found a new degree of control, far better than the ancient Scalespeed could ever deliver. Plus the extremely rough PWM delivered by the Scalespeed won't do my Mashima motors any good.

• 8 years later...

I bought one with simulation and braking control, it had 2 control arms, together with an uncased transformer that had 2 independent windings. I believe it must have been at the annual Manchester exhibition in the mid to late 70s. I expect Scalespeed's founder was there himself I remember buying at least one if not two of the spare control arms too. The controller performed very smoothly from my memory, due to various circumstances I don't currently have a layout but would wish to use something that had that degree of analogue control on any future project, at least one is already in the planning stage. I liked the fact that were ready to panel mount too.

GC&Mid

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/07/2012 at 05:35, nigcuberail said:

Hello Stewart, Mike, Bill & even Tim!

No seriously & firstly thanks for that information.

So, the pulsing on the voltmeter could be PWM then? - good.

The two switches could mean simulation - excellent!

I found the website but was dissapointed not to find any references to their OLD products.

Now, the reasons for nabbing this little beauty (sorry Tim V) were:

1. I run DCC, but I wanted/needed a sensible DC controller for my test track (I built a basic circuit controller from an internet article running through the MERG voltmeter & ammeter).

2. I remember Scalespeed from when I was modelling in my youth.

3. I reckon it looks "awesome" and the components are almost antique!

I will post a picture of the underside in a day or so.

I know it's an old thread, but I found a review of the Scalespeed Torquemaster in 1966 December Model Railway Constructor, where it states that there is an overload light, 2 switches, one on/off, the other is a reverse switch and the control handle.

It is compensated for speed control, presumably using PWM.

Should have looked further - there is a manufacturers ad in the same issue.

Two versions console unit & panel unit.

230V or 16V input.  12V 1A DC OUT

Both have Transistor Pulse CCTS Giving

• Maximum Torque at any speed.
  • Auto Load Compensation.
  • Output Indicator Lamp.
Edited by kevinlms
More info

• RMweb Premium

I know it's an old thread, but I found a review of the Scalespeed Torquemaster in 1966 December Model Railway Constructor

Was it really 11 years ago that I started the thread????

Kevin, good for you to have resurected it - so Scalespeed ad from 1966 - I was 11!!

I shelved the project to 'refurb' the existing contoller and set it aside with a view to using the old faceplate/control arm with a new modern control circuit under 'the hood'.

So many other projects have taken priority over the years, but one day!!

😁

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, nigcuberail said:

Was it really 11 years ago that I started the thread????

Kevin, good for you to have resurected it - so Scalespeed ad from 1966 - I was 11!!

I shelved the project to 'refurb' the existing contoller and set it aside with a view to using the old faceplate/control arm with a new modern control circuit under 'the hood'.

So many other projects have taken priority over the years, but one day!!

😁

I was 10 in 1966.

On 01/10/2023 at 12:15, stewartingram said:

Shame nobody makes the controller handle as a spare.

Alternative to 3D print would be a very simple metalwork job.  Needs a vice, decent drill, some taps and dies, and some round rod to make the arm.  Start with a standard Aluminium knob (electronics suppliers).  Fit an arm to that, and an off-the shelf plastic threaded ball to the arm.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/10/2023 at 19:08, Nigelcliffe said:

Alternative to 3D print would be a very simple metalwork job.  Needs a vice, decent drill, some taps and dies, and some round rod to make the arm.  Start with a standard Aluminium knob (electronics suppliers).  Fit an arm to that, and an off-the shelf plastic threaded ball to the arm.  

Have often had the original thought, and the quoted solution.  Never had enough need to brave the mechanical engineering required (not my skill set, but building a controller, no problem).

Paul.