Hi, I've wanted to install cosmetic point rodding on to my layout for sometime, I've finally brought the parts.

Now I have to problem of determining where they go. I'm not going to include a signal box on the layout so I plan to have all the rodding running towards the three-way turnout and off the layout.

I appologise in advance.....

What do you think would be the best route? Also, is there any specified positions where the different types of cracks and pulleys go? The lengths of rodding come in 12inch sections, should I join two lengths together with solder or is there a prototypical part? Finally, I'm using peco points does anyone have any suggestions of how to intergrate the rodding with these points?

Again, sorry if these questions seem misquided, I haven't got a clue how to approach this.

Many thanks, Adam

post-16260-0-68351800-1343056971_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, didn't mention. It's LMS branch terminus mid 50s

I'm not sure how they would have cooped with the siding connection facing end in the double slip but I suspect it would be a handpoint?

So run your rodding 'north' side of what I presume is the 'main line' - the 3 way point has 2 switches (= 2rods) plus 2 FPLs (1 rod working both of them), one ot the rods which works part of the three way conrinues and then crosses through to work the two switches furthest from the signalbox in the double slip. The other end of the double slip is controlled by a local handpoint lever. Two more rods run all the way to the release crossover - one works the switches at both ends and the other works the FPL in the 'main line' end.

So coming from the left you have a total of 5 rods, 3 of them go on beyond the 3 way switch ends to curve following the nearest line then pass through it to get back next to the main line. One rod goes off to the double slip and the other two continue to the crossover. At which point Beast might come on the scene and make a slight alteration - which gives you a small choice!

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure how they would have cooped with the siding connection facing end in the double slip but I suspect it would be a handpoint?

So run your rodding 'north' side of what I presume is the 'main line' - the 3 way point has 2 switches (= 2rods) plus 2 FPLs (1 rod working both of them), one ot the rods which works part of the three way conrinues and then crosses through to work the two switches furthest from the signalbox in the double slip. The other end of the double slip is controlled by a local handpoint lever. Two more rods run all the way to the release crossover - one works the switches at both ends and the other works the FPL in the 'main line' end.

So coming from the left you have a total of 5 rods, 3 of them go on beyond the 3 way switch ends to curve following the nearest line then pass through it to get back next to the main line. One rod goes off to the double slip and the other two continue to the crossover. At which point Beast might come on the scene and make a slight alteration - which gives you a small choice!

Your suggestions are fine (as usual Mike) - and the facing part of the slip would likely be a hand point.

My comments on the layout would be, are you providing signalling ? - if not the layout would be controlled from ground frames and these would be near to the relevant points, if so then there should be a signal cabin to control the points.

Thanks very much Mike and Beast66606.

I am planning on adding required signals (However, the quantity and position of these was going to be my next question to the forum)

So if I'm right placement of the rodding should look a bit like the following?

post-16260-0-62180000-1343069184_thumb.jpg

Could I ask if anyone has an image of a 3 way with FPLs rods?

• RMweb Gold

Rodding along a platform face can be done but is a PITA to put in and maintain. As the crossover is for engine release only I would put it on a ground frame situated adjacent.

As the uppermost line appears to be a dock rather than a passenger platform (ground signal for departure) it should have a trap point.

• RMweb Gold

Try this

post-6662-0-13308400-1343074637.jpg

I've assumed the arrival signal is off scene.

Ground frame controls the crossover

The bay looks as if it would be very short if the two signals were on a balanced bracket so I've drawn the platform and the bay signals as separate posts allowing the bay signal to be moved nearer to the point.

The ground signal should be yellow.

hth

Very much appreciated.

I'm undecided whether the bay will be goods only, if so, would i simple swap that signal with a ground signal?

I'm also considering changing the bottom left siding into a second entry/exit to the layout, would this change anything?

Just to clarify the third signal (smallest on diagram) is the ground signal?

It is well worth buying MRJ issues 113 & 115 where Steve Hall wrote an execllant pair of articles on point rodding. Lots of pictures showing how it went together/looked like
Thanks I'll look into these.

As the uppermost line appears to be a dock rather than a passenger platform (ground signal for departure) it should have a trap point
Thanks, I'll be sure to include one

Again, I really appreciate the help

• RMweb Gold

Very much appreciated.

I'm undecided whether the bay will be goods only, if so, would i simple swap that signal with a ground signal?

Yes - and it would need a trap point.

I'm also considering changing the bottom left siding into a second entry/exit to the layout, would this change anything?

Not if it's part of the sidings, so shunting only, if it's deemed to be a goods arrival then yes.

Just to clarify the third signal (smallest on diagram) is the ground signal?

Yes, at present it should have a yellow arm.

• RMweb Gold

And the slip you have drawn as a single slip definitely needs to be a double slip as the stationmaster assumed,

The signalling also assumes a double slip - let me know if it is single.

Archived