Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I hope everyone is OK.

Modelling has resumed with some duplicate Thames Valley Rail Tour headboards in the making.

Also, I have been looking at gaps in 81C's allocations/visitors.  Just arrived is 70013 Oliver Cromwell for rail tours during 2011 to partner the likes of 34067 Tangmere, 30777 Sir Lamiel and 70000 Britannia.  Another item is the forthcoming Heljan railcar in green with speed whiskers.  No.26 with grey cab roof looks to be the likely candidate for renumbering to No.22.  Heljan's 22 will be in GWR chocolate and cream - a bit early for GWRd!

70013 comes with late BR crest and yellow axleboxes in the 15 Guinea Special Train Pack.   As I have drawn a blank at finding a BR Mk2A BFK in maroon, the Mk1 BSO in the train pack can stand in as the support coach unless I go to the bother of getting a BR Blue Mk2A BSK to repaint, line and renumber etc, in the future.  :dontknow:  The 1960s yellow axleboxes on the loco will require the red stripe to be painted on to accommodate 21st century preservation practice.  The train will also need some crew and a bit of weathering.

I am still waiting for a late BR green A4 to come off the production line, namely 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley, which was serviced at 81C during the Manchester to Paddington Special, 23 October 1965, but no hurry -  the piggy bank needs replenishing, first!

Thanks for looking in.

Take care.

Polly

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/07/2020 at 08:40, southern42 said:

Snip...

IMG_1959a.jpeg.76ca98d0ed4c956868cd2bfde1ade5ef.jpeg

One set of headboards is for the Large Prairie 6106 which arrived at Southall (Brentford Bay) from Kensington Olympia on the second leg of the Tour.  6106 had the Thames Valley Rail Tour headboard (carried by LMS Ivatt Class 2 46509 on the first leg) on top of the smokebox. 

The other set is for Pannier Tank 9773 which did the Brentford Goods return trip but only carried the Thames Valley headboard at the bunker end, as seen, below, going past the AEC Southall Works, towards the Three Bridges/ Windmill Lane on its way to Firestone Sidings.  The reporting number will be positioned on the model as in the photo (on Flickr).

GWR 0-6-0PT 9773 approaching Windmill Bridge

The return trip, showing the other side of the Three Bridges/Windmill Lane (also on Flickr).

GWR 0-6-0PT 9773 leaving Windmill Bridge

6106 took over from 9773 for the third leg of the Tour from Windsor & Eton Central to Reading General where 2-6-4T 80154 picked up the train for the last leg to London Waterloo. https://www.flickr.com/photos/30937/9112052999/in/photolist-eTcDU4

Next job on the list - the train reporting numbers.

Thanks for poop pooping in.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Hi, all - back in the GMT (Great Model Trains) time zone.  Hope you all had a good hour's lie in.

Yesterday evening, there was an unexpected moment.  I was watching British Railways Then and Now - GWR when, after watching Castles and Kings, Prairies large and small, and pannier tanks pulling coaches or running light engine in and out of Paddington, it switched location.  There, at changeover, were 6106 and 9773 on the Thames Valley Rail Tour captured at Kensington Olympia and then Southall.  Who was a rather happy & excited bunny, then?

And I do not need to worry about the headboards and train numbers looking large on the models.  They looked large on the real ones in the Ian Allen film!

Thames Valley Headboard update.  Two, both now with slot boxes - the backs to be painted followed by varnishing - and two spares.

704458719_ThamesValleyRailTourHeadboardswithslotboxes.jpeg.de4b2727f029897fbbe2dca964ef23c8.jpeg

Enjoy the extra hour.

Polly

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Now, I have a small(?) problem to share.  Two problems, possibly.

My Hornby large Prairie for renumbering to 6106 is no.6132 and is lined green.

No.6106 was UN-lined... To avoid a complete re-paint job, can the lining be discreetly 'covered up' or wiped out without damaging/making a mess of the rest of it?

The reason I say 'two problems' is that 6132, in photos below, look to me to be unlined - so why the lining on the model?  Aaaaaaaagh...... If there was an unlined 61xx late crest available in the new 61xx Model, there would not be a problem....I would simply renumber 6132 to lined green nos.  I could always renumber the second, anyway.   :wink_mini:  Interestingly, Heljan's O gauge model of 6132 is also lined.  Did it carry both liveries, I wonder?

6132 Southall August 1964

And a colour photo outside the shed, June 1963

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/6100-class-2-6-2t/hA8899315#ha8899315

Polly

Edit.  On zooming in on the colour photo, on the lefthand side of the side tank, there looks to be a feint dark line downwards with a curved corner into a possible line along the base of the tank.  Would that indicate that the loco was indeed originally lined and these lines eventually rubbed off?  I can believe this as earlier crests eventually showed through as the covering paintwork wore off some locos.

Edited by southern42
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

From further reading, it looks possible (probable?) that 6132 may have been repainted unlined in 'economy green' after overhaul... (not 'overalls' Mr Search Engine).

On 13/04/2013 at 12:39, Miss Prism said:

All varieties of black and green for the large Prairies, depending on date and whether a loco was considered 'goods' or 'passenger'. I can't recall a lined black example, but it's likely a few passing through the works during that livery phase picked it up. The last green repaints were unlined, with green valances. Good pic in one of the colour (Hugh Ballantyne?) books.

"A second period of unlined green was the so-called 'economy green' era, and seems to have started possibly as early as 1958 and certainly by 1960. It has been recorded on Moguls 5306, 6320, 6378, and 7304, and was also applied to some large Prairies, some 56xx locos, some 2251s and some 14xxs."  http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriesloco1948.html

On 24/07/2017 at 02:37, DavidCBroad said:

Two factors would have influenced the re livery of locos was the planned scheduled maintenance of  WR locos on a mileage basis,  I think 78 000 miles was typical rather than run it until it won't run any further as practiced by other regions, which would have seen for instance 61XX on their London Suburban duties overhauled at 18 month intervals while other locos would take years to get their mileage in.

The other pragmatic avoidance of lined black was it was all those various lining colours made a hell of a lot of work compared to plain black or green and at Swindon painters worked around the fitters to paint locos as they were reassembled. Crewe had a paint shop where locos languished uselessly for several days after being repaired and sometimes run in while painters lovingly slapped black paint everywhere, but Swindon didn't waste time and money on such things.

Some thoughtful crafting and weathering on both 6132 locos looks in order but not before some varnishing and painting of headboards is done...

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A bit late with this information, but I hope it helps. I have a few photos of 9773 at Oxford in July/ August 1965. sca007-002.jpg.e7c3ab3306d03b1c5816b2a0a413aa81.jpg

sca007-001.jpg.4913f0b5e714f6fa685c54e0fbf7daf9.jpg

The detail shows a bent lamp bracket, which probably explains a lot.

2-19-2008_015.jpg.4ed0c9bf88239c9ffff3d4f0223879e2.jpg

I've a couple more front 3/4 if they would be of any use.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

6106 at Oxford in early 19652-18-2008_009.jpg.531b707a8bc4d56d3a03b1247ca20246.jpg

And in December 1965, with plywood numberplate on an OURS trip on the Thame branch.

2-25-2008_006.jpg.62727f5b8602e74060735b63bd9ec104.jpg

Again I have more pictures but the light was terrible on this trip, so not much detail.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Dave, the photos of 9773 are magnificent!  So kind of you to post them.

Many thanks for unravelling this mystery.  Such an obvious answer yet the possibility never came to mind.  I shall indeed be bending the bracket on my loco.  They say you should always look at the original and, also, as they say, photos do not lie!

Thanks, for 6106, too.  Splendid!  I can see already that they will be mighty useful when it comes to weathering and detailing, especially when all the other photos I have seen are of the lefthand side of the engine!

Polly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all.

It is a laugh a minute, here...

Yesterday, I had a DOH! moment.  Ray was cleaning one of our cutting mats when I noticed a scrap of paper hanging down underneath (held on with a bit of masking tape).  It turned out to be one of my 'notes to myself' which end up lying all over the place!  It was a test piece with a printed out headboard panel glued on and masking tape round the edges of the panel.  Below, I had scribbled: Layer of PVA painted over Panel & allowed to dry.  Pity I forgot about it as one of the made up headboards came apart when I decided to paint the plastic back before I had treated the printed paper on top, the dampness round the edges turning the paper to mush and another headboard having to be made.  Doh!

Waiting for some tools to arrive, now, then I can complete the construction part of the Thames Valley job by making up the GWR 3 figure number X06 for the large prairie.

Polly

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just to say:

IMG_2596.jpeg.0b68edd3d0a941d5f7b09609ef9a69ac.jpeg

Cakebox Challenge 2019, revisited.

and a Happy New year to you all.

Back soon with some modelling updates.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2020 at 21:06, ChrisN said:

I think his head will get cold!

Have a Happy Christmas and a Good New Year.

Cold head? No choice, really. Santa insisted on having his hood down! I did give him a big white bobble on the end of it though. I guess he has run out of film as he is tinkering with his Camera.
E8E1B64D-797D-4363-AFD4-A0B8C1489422.jpeg.703e7a4c0cf0a22ec36d9621d7059ba8.jpeg

That is the Great West Road brake van bringing up the rear of the snow train which is passing through into the dark beyond. I guess they can go home, now, except Santa and his Lil Helper who are on their way to the children's Christmas Party down at the Station.  Perhaps, though, the other two will join them - they are both partial to H&P biscuits being carried in that rucksack.

On 24/12/2020 at 22:12, Nick Gough said:

Happy Christmas Polly!

Thank you, Nick.

So, Christmas Day has gone well. A few omissions between us in the cooking department (nothing too serious!) but otherwise a great day. A few modelling items received along with Christian Wolmar’s book ‘Cathedrals of Steam’ and David Maidment’s book of pannier tank classes. Things that run up and down on bits of parallel metal that were due in Santa’s sack did not make it. Ring a bell? 

Hopefully, 2021 will see better days or we will get better at dealing with them. So modelling, and reading, here we come. 

Festive cheer to all.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Hope you and Ray have a great 2021 Polly. Keep on moddling!

Baz

Thanks Baz and U2. 
(Where are the seasonal Smileys?)

Polly and Ray

Latest project:

IMG_2524.jpeg.9ae5b14148b200d946a3931d7fbc10ec.jpeg

IMG_2532.jpeg.5f725efef3ff3779181966b50603f36f.jpeg

IMG_2533.jpeg.ed0c3c67f74f38b590c75dafbd411f3b.jpeg

One putting together job to do - (by a pair of helping hands) plane down the front edge to lie level with the top of the Black and Orange A3 cutting mat, which comes with it, for use with a ruler, done since this photo was taken.  To finish the job - a coat of primer and some paint to protect the mdf.  I would have preferred varnished wood but this looked like a good design and was available at the time. Hopefully, this means I can keep the workbench...er...dining table(!) tidier. Hmmm!  Maybe, that will need some practice.

Well, I hope you all enjoy the rest of the Christmas weekend.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just had to pop in and wish you all a very creative and innovative New Year.

158966496_HappyNewYear2021.jpg.17c13c4dda36d3e0e5a9a9a61e5ef4f1.jpg

31-12-1962 Santa, aka BR(W) Goods Shed Supervisor, is taking a short cut across the fields to the New Year's Eve Staff Party down at the Station Master's house, if anyone gets there in these conditions. Santa's little helper, aka BR(W) Storeman, loaded with H&P tins of biscuits, among other goodies, is checking the map for directions. I suspect the other two are looking forward to shovelling coal onto the fire in the Station Master's kitchen. Unfortunately, the train is going the wrong way, so no ride down.  It's a hard life!

Best wishes

Polly and Ray

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Chris, I appreciate that.

I seem to be at my busiest (in the kitchen!) at this time of year, modelling is somewhere on Cloud9. Give it another few days...lots of new toys tools to try out.

Polly

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all.

Spring 2022 already!

I did do various bits of modelling last year but found the moving image constantly appearing on these pages started to make me ill so I stopped posting. I feel ill just thinking about it.

What’s different? Well, when I received a PM I found that the moving image did not appear when I used my iPhone. After several exchanges of PMs over the last 6 months and no moving image, I’m taking the plunge to post here again but from the iPhone.

So, let’s get on with it and see how it goes!

My latest project is re-working a rake of six pre-owned and slightly damaged JGAs into 2011 condition based on info gained from various websites and videos. All carry the number 19241 and a fictitious livery.

I decided to renumber and rebrand. I chose 5 19xxx numbers from a 2013 mixed rake of JGA types where numbers were given. These 5 represent four variations of RMC markings. One variation of the 19xxx type was missing - that of no.19224. Yes! I did find examples of every number of this type which indicate that 19224 was the only hopper left in this livery by 2011. If you can show different, please let me know! I would be interested.

Thus, 19224 became my 6th wagon number and the wagon will become the first to receive the new livery.

The task:

1) Clean up weathering & clear original markings that need to go. All six wagons are now done.

F46AEC8D-832F-4C7F-8290-C803A9E8A7A9.jpeg.9d7fc07626cb05ffddc120e6e5a189bf.jpeg

2) Add markings and any distinctive detailing to no.19224. In other words, design some transfers; print to check for size and other details - in this instance the graffiti image  is too dark and not high enough. A tweak on the computer should sort that

out!
952360C9-ADBD-4ECD-B613-8DCD2ED825BD.jpeg.4ef7f4417e8d681adb9e0ff11fd11779.jpeg

The RMC lettering (Helvetica - thankfully, available on my MacBook!) will be on transparent water transfers (mr decal paper as used on my Prisoner VW campervan. At least, I know I have done this bit before.

C21F8DEE-5B0E-41B7-B03F-DCBB514A271B.jpeg.5f0362ee952c147c56118d90ce2770b7.jpeg

E0E02FE4-53E2-4EE0-A564-C82412D06142.jpeg.378df8d8e0880f696ca59d67de9eb1d0.jpeg

3) Work out size and position of weld lines and design transfers for white and orange panels.

4) Create wagon number label for #19224.

The other wagon numbers I have. They are from Model Transport Graphics (self adhesive transfers).

Sometime later...
At last! The transfer sheet is printed. Tomorrow, I will give it a coat of railmatch varnish. Wednesday, I hope to start adding some transfers to one of the wagons. This is going to be one of those long hauls... 

Thanks for popping in. I look forward to any comments, words of wisdom, encouragement, etc, etc...

Polly

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see you back Polly.

I do like your VW.

I am sure I have seen a train of JGAs going up the A12 line to Norwich, probably leaving Strafford.  Interesting to see your six.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly 

What a coincidence seeing your camper. There was a yellow one just like that parked up in the car park to our favorite pizza joint in Ashland Or. not too long ago. It had wired number plates and upon closer inspection was from Argentina. The two young people who owned it were on their way to Alaska. An epic road trip by any means!  

Good work on the printing so far, am looking forward to seeing the end results.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 11/04/2022 at 18:16, ChrisN said:

Glad to see you back Polly.

I do like your VW.

I am sure I have seen a train of JGAs going up the A12 line to Norwich, probably leaving Strafford.  Interesting to see your six.

Thanks, Chris. It is good to be back.

On 11/04/2022 at 18:52, Sasquatch said:

Hi Polly 

What a coincidence seeing your camper. There was a yellow one just like that parked up in the car park to our favorite pizza joint in Ashland Or. not too long ago. It had wired number plates and upon closer inspection was from Argentina. The two young people who owned it were on their way to Alaska. An epic road trip by any means!  

Good work on the printing so far, am looking forward to seeing the end results.

Regards Shaun.

Great to hear of a real life yellow Camper, Shaun. Fantastic story to go with it, too. Amazing what people get up to!

The VW, with passengers,  is featured on my Cakebox Challenge thread though some photos were missing when I last looked. Another job in progress!

My last sighting of any JGAs probably date back to 2016 or so; JHAs in late Yeoman livery  (I have a rake of those as well) at Acton Main Line. Both were on sidings.

Aggregate trains are back up here (North Wales Coast) - Ray spotted one stationary the other day between the two tunnels on the approach to Bangor station.

It has been a while since I last saw an aggregates train here - Hanson lorries to and from Penmaenmawr Quarry yes but no trains. Ray and I had a trip up the quarry in 2019 with our model engineering society. Fascinating place - some of the hardest granite around.

Some recent activity in this video.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JeSg5TvW-cs&feature=share

I have been wondering where I could have an afternoon out......

Maybe to see the likes of this one (if it runs ;):

6K17 1653 Penmaenmawr Quarry (Fhh) toCrewe Bas Hall S.S.M.

Departing on 19th April 2022 (RTT)

I would have to check times on the day, of course.

in the meantime, I have some transfers to do...

Polly

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear! The first transfer bled. I tried with two more and they bled as well.

The transfer sheets have now been given another few sprays of varnish.

I will try and fit in another go tomorrow and see how it goes. Fingers crossed. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

One RMC diamond down...

28DA8C30-5923-4859-822A-C3AA09DFD365.jpeg.593ec175591a5bc0b83b29cfb97c4b1b.jpeg

That should line up with the weld line going through the ‘R’.

I had tried, the first time, using DecalFix but had problems getting the transfer off its backing. Instead, I used warm water - I gave the underlying area on the hopper a second coat of the stuff a few days ago. It has worked a treat - not too slippery as I found with water alone on the Camper’s gloss paintwork.

I’ll give ‘roadstone’ a try next time. Have to clear up for lunch now.

Hope you like today’s effort. Thanks for your ratings. Much appreciated.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

More progress. More corrections to make.

Thinking I would give the hopper a coating of DecalFix before adding the roadstone transfer, I checked the photos of JGA 19224 just to be on the safe side! Armed with ruler, I discovered, to my horror, my transfers were too long! The position for the weld lines did not intersect at the right places among the lettering!  

Back to the computer and the font size was reduced from 35pt to 33pt; and the black strips - the painted-out ‘roadstone’ letters - for JGA 19220 were resized accordingly. 

I have just got to print the transfers, varnish, and stick them on...!

Some links

Reading 2011  JGA 19224 is the 14th hopper at 0.48 sec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUWRGxfunQA

JGA 19224 Peak Forest 20 August 2011 showing the other (no graffiti) side. It is just as grubby looking:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dan700/6150865248/in/photostream/

Hopefully, I will have something to show in a couple of day’s time. In the meantime...

4B20F013-7CAC-4274-9E5C-1B0FB18B5800.jpeg.f57adfb931c0ad9147e891ca0304ad8d.jpeg

• Like 3

• southern42 changed the title to Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!
  • RMweb Premium

Hope you all had a good a good Easter break.

Things are going slowly, here.

I now have two weld lines on the JGA hopper.

The first one got in a bit of  a mess and had to be gently rubbed off. Two transfers fell off the backing sheet before they even got to the hopper! A fourth eventually got stuck on but, by then, the RMC diamond was partially damaged. Weathering and the graffiti transfer should disguise most of it!

I then decided to protect diamond and weld lines, before I added the graffiti transfer, with some matt lacquer. This seems to have clouded the unprinted areas of the transfer. Perhaps I should have given the transfers a coat of DecalFix, first. I’m hoping weathering will help.

Lines of DecalFix just visible where the weld lines go.

B4A650C8-CD38-4564-83B1-2867D04E83BA.jpeg.ee95b19a486e29e847934a77ea760a4f.jpeg

The first weld lines in place.

D83C0080-69EE-4138-8D5F-6AC79759F322.jpeg.169b0c1ab4de87ba1138bc3ee05a6ff2.jpeg

Fingers crossed all will go well, tomorrow.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 4