SR U Class boiler washout position on boiler barrel

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

Well, after over 2 years of no modelling I have finally started again on my former 1961 vintage Wills U class kit. I am modelling 31618 as it was in 1961.

I have filled and marked the firebox washout plugs which were easy.

31618 in common with many other Us gained 4 additional washout plugs on the front section of the boiler barrel. The rearmost 2 are more obvious http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnneave/408552179/in/faves-29644579@N07/ (as seen in Barry) . From a side on view these rear ones are just about in line with the top of the splashers.

The other 2 are forward of this and set nearer to the centre line of the barrel.

My problem is I can't find a drawing which shows the location clearly. Can anyone tell me how far along that section of the barrel each of the 2 sets of plugs are and how far from the center line they are?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I managed to find the answer to this through a bit of web searching. I found an image of the David Andrews U class etch that had been reduced to 3mm. On that i could just pick out the front washout plug that was a mystery and then work out where it was on the front ring of the barrel.

I have now drilled all of the washout plugs, and handrails on the boiler. I fretted out the deflectors last night and now need to finish filling them and then drilling them for the handrails and hand hold before adding the beading.

The next step is to drill the running boards with locations for the feedwater pipes and to fit the boiler and firebox onto the running plate.

After 2 years of not managing to do alot for all sorts of reasons, I am finally starting to make progress again on this ancient U (not that there is much left). I have taken photos and will resurect my U class thread later

Edited by Blandford1969

• 8 years later...

Hi Duncan,

I started following this as a U class build and ended up here years ago!!! :mellow: 

So today I was having a look round and came across it again, would be really interested to see how you got on with the rest of the build as I've got one tucked away that needs building.

Best wishes, hope your well and safe,

Phil.  

Thanks Duncan, I'll look foreward to the photos.

Know what you mean about clouds and mojo - I've been there recently myself. (it's a returning feeling periodically, espesially this time of year for me)

I try to find something simple to atchieve to help me. Just getting a Finecast T9 out to build - shouldn't be too hard!

Phil.