What is a perfect Loco kit? .... This is! - DMR SR Z 4mm

I believe that the ranges that PPP took over weren't all well organised and documented. That's not uncommon and even a very successful product range can take some time to get back into production. For example Brassmasters have had to put a lot of effort into getting the 4mm Finney range back on the shelf.

PPP have probably overstretched themselves in terms of capacity, given that they already have a busy paint business and quite a lot of the kits (NNK range?) apparently needed new instructions

The Sharman Wheels issue is something different, the production process, etc. being well beyond it's Best Before date and needing a fair size investment to bring it up to date, although as a small, part time/retirement activity it is probably a viable "hobby" business.

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Solely on the strength of the recommendation in this thread, I have ordered one of these DMR Z class kits.

Do the instructions tell you what wheels to get?

Wikipedia tells me 4' 8"

I am looking at the AG website and they have several at 4' 7.5" (which I guess is the same) but lots of variations on spokes and cranks. Though the AG ones seem to be mostly GW rather than southern.

Other wheel suppliers seem to be much more costly or have a poor reputation for fulfilling orders.

What wheels do I need to get??

Thanks

1 hour ago, ikcdab said:

Solely on the strength of the recommendation in this thread, I have ordered one of these DMR Z class kits.

Do the instructions tell you what wheels to get?

Wikipedia tells me 4' 8"

I am looking at the AG website and they have several at 4' 7.5" (which I guess is the same) but lots of variations on spokes and cranks. Though the AG ones seem to be mostly GW rather than southern.

Other wheel suppliers seem to be much more costly or have a poor reputation for fulfilling orders.

What wheels do I need to get??

Thanks

According to the 7mm drawing in the preview issue of Rail Model Digest they are 14 spoke, crank between spokes. Crank throw appears to be between 13" and 14".

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Barclay said:

According to the 7mm drawing in the preview issue of Rail Model Digest they are 14 spoke, crank between spokes. Crank throw appears to be between 13" and 14".

Thank you. I saw that irwell press have a book about the class. I've just ordered it...

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/08/2012 at 14:02, Metropolitan said:

If you can't put one of these chassis together you might as well give up any hope of kitbuilding a loco. :sungum: All the valve gear holes are etched out to the correct size. Simply remove the rods from the fret, insert a rivet, tap it and that's job done!! Make up up the valve gear and the brackets and fit them to the frames. Simple as that. No filing, fiddling, fettling or tearing your hair out necessary.

I have one small bone to pick with the designer which looses the kit a mark! The valve rod bracket is in my opinion unnecessarily complex. It consists of five parts which have to be soldered together and, being very small, it's not easy. I can see no reason why the bracket could not be etched as just one part with fold up lines???

Still, this is (even though I say it myself) a sensational chassis. Smooth with great low running to match any new RTR.

It's run in and now ready for a final clean up and a bit of filling where the wheel weights are not quite right.

post-6794-0-40650100-1343912496_thumb.jpg

which gearbox is this?

Thanks

• 1 year later...